PDA

View Full Version : A Kung Fu Journey of Liberation

Troy Dunwood
11-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Since my childhood I’ve been engaged in Chinese martial arts and quite frankly I couldn’t see myself not having it as an integral part of me. Some people get the whole thing wrong when they put too much emphasis on the style and not the person. I will admit though that styles cause division and where there is division there can be no unity. However if we give more respect to the person as a fellow human being then we can come together as men and women bonded by a love of Chinese martial arts regardless of the school one may belong or associate with. When I first started learning I felt back then within myself that this, meaning kung fu was a part of me, truly it consumed me. I remember, the days I didn’t go to practice with my first teacher Yuan Chan I would spend my time at the old Great Star Theater in San Francisco Chinatown watching kung fu movies. Those were the glory days though, many people practice for the love of the art, there were some wise guys but for the most part it was love. Many people ask me what my favorite style and or teacher, quite frankly during those times what ever I was doing at that moment was my favorite. But if I had to truly pick a favorite it would be Master Wei Fong, not because his kung fu was no better or no worst than anyone else, yet our relationship was very good, he really played devils advocate with every thing he taught. Master Wei never claim to be good even though he was great and you always left him feeling empowered even if it was just his conversation. Master Wei Fong was of high caliber and wanted everyone he came into contact with to stand beside him, you don’t come across many teachers like this anymore. To me when it comes to styles I personally think all are good because every style have something to offer for practical self defense, but as a fighter you need variety. Some people will say that a person who learns a bunch of stuff and masters none is some how limited but I don’t believe in this sort of thinking. To look at the word master to me is an illusion. I believe if a student comprehends the principle and concepts involved then half the battle is won, that is, in a learning capacity, now to apply is a little different because now wisdom kicks in. As for my Tung Mo system I can truly say it truly is me, a true expression of self, I mean what’s real and what works for me. Tung Mo isn’t a bunch of movements that are insubstantial, that’s the difference between Tung Mo and everything else I’ve ever learned. Tung Mo can be best described as elevating one’s total self to a higher level of consciousness, in terms of kung fu this would be mentality and awareness as well as physical skill, truly allowing one to capture the powers latent within. With Tung Mo there has been a stripping away of all the insubstantial and a gathering of all the substantial that works best for me. Now if any man wants to follow my path I welcome him along the journey.

Lohanhero
11-22-2005, 02:15 AM
congradulations and much luck to you on your path.

Troy Dunwood
11-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Thank you Lohan, peace to you.