PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Sam Wiley or any other Wudang nuts.

Braden
02-19-2001, 11:53 PM
Have you heard of this before?

http://users.erols.com/dantao/taiji.html

What do you think?

wujidude
02-20-2001, 12:01 AM
I think Master Sat Chuen Hon's MFA in Dance from Connecticut College probably strongly informs his execution and understanding of his taiji form.

Ever notice the serpentine motion in the spine of a woman dancing salsa? Especially if she's wearing a tight dress?

GLW
02-20-2001, 01:17 AM
It is all pretty confused.

On the Dragon Taiji page, he has one picture of a Yang Style doing Single Whip...seen this picture in a book on Yang Style a while ago...

The second picture of the man with the beard turning is Wang Ziping doing one of the 13 Posture Tai Bao Gong Qi Gong Methods that Wang Ziping formulated. Unless this man has a direct connection to Wang Ziping, the use of this photo is misleading. Showing it in conjunction with a Taijiquan page is really misleading since it is Qi Gong and the man has a separate Qi Gong page.

Looking at his other pages, he has a liberal sprinkling of Yang, Chen, Wu,and Cheng Manqing variants of Taijiquan.

JerryLove
02-20-2001, 01:24 AM
That sprinkling is cause the all come from his dragon style! Yea! That's it. That's the ticket.

Seriously, I hope he is better at TaiChi than web design.

Sam Wiley
02-20-2001, 01:24 AM
I have never heard of a style by that name, but the page is interesting. I'd have to see it to make a judgement really. Too little there to make up my mind. While all movement must come from the center (the lower spine), I'm not sure I understand exactly what constitutes "serpentine" movement of the spine.

The article about passing on the lineage was also interesting. And so was the one about the way to practice.

He seems like a nice, sincere person, though, if his writings are an indication of his personality.

"To enter is to be born, to retreat is to die."
-An Old Taijiquan Saying

Braden
02-20-2001, 01:35 AM
I don't think you can judge anything based off those pictures. People tend to put up whatever pictures they have access to that are even slightly related to the topic matter.

I'm not saying I'm taking it at face value. Like Sam said, you'd really have to see it and touch it to make a reliable judgement. (And frankly, I don't have enough experience to even make one then) It is interesting how his version of history echoes that spread by other unrelated practitioners though. That's really why I posted it.

However, having gone over his writings again, most of them contain alot better advice than I've seen just about anywhere else; and he DOES certainly seem sincere and unassuming.

Water Dragon
02-20-2001, 01:46 AM
When my first Taiji found out I danced Salsa, he strongly recommended it as a major part of my training. True Story

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

wujidude
02-20-2001, 01:56 AM
That's right, WD. I would consider salsa dancing to be an "auxiliary" exercise, training power and rhythm for the San Shou A & B forms. By the way, swing dancing is excellent training for qinna.
;- )

Shaolin Master
02-20-2001, 02:00 AM
I make no comment on the site or its content (as it is relatively brief), other than that there is a Dragon Style Taijiquan practised in China at the moment.

Qiman
02-20-2001, 02:29 AM
If you really want to see something, look a little lower than the spine when you watch women dance. ;)

wujidude
02-20-2001, 07:20 AM
Yup. Below the ming men . . . that would be the dragon's tail sashaying . . .

Daredevil
02-20-2001, 11:37 AM
Anyone have insight on what this is :

http://www.wudang.com/English/02MartialArts/martialarts.html

Is this about the rare (?) wudang style of tai chi or is it just something else using a good name to promote itself?

I wish more websites were thorough in introducing their content. With so many questionable teachers and styles around, one gets paranoid and overlooks the websites which aren't as informative, but then one can make the mistake of thinking a good website equals a good style.

While on the subject, where are (if anywhere) the good websites/schools about the wudang arts (that old style tai chi in particular, not looking to start another debate about what is or what is not "wudang")?