PDA

View Full Version : ma pretty stuff vid (not same one as before)

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-23-2005, 01:22 PM
these guys be quick

http://media.hawt.net/videos/6a76492688505b8f86b85764650cdb75.wmv

David Jamieson
11-23-2005, 02:55 PM
and nimble too.

tkd's got some funky legs.

IronFist
11-23-2005, 11:24 PM
At 0:50 they show them taping up an injury it looks like.

And then later on that guy is doing clapping pushups onto the BACK OF HIS WRISTS? That is an injury waiting to happen. No thanks. I don't want to be there when his wrist snaps and his fingertips end up by his elbows.

Lohanhero
11-23-2005, 11:57 PM
ya a couple of us at our school did that cause we say it in drunken master (we are still young :P ) but our sifu told us not to. makes sence when they use grass that probley had soft thingy underneath compaird to hard ground... maybe that guy had same veiwing experience ^^

Oso
11-24-2005, 07:36 AM
At 0:50 they show them taping up an injury it looks like.

And then later on that guy is doing clapping pushups onto the BACK OF HIS WRISTS? That is an injury waiting to happen. No thanks. I don't want to be there when his wrist snaps and his fingertips end up by his elbows.

i've been doing wrist push ups for 15 16 years now. started off just on backs of wrists the moved to rolling up to the fists on each extension and back down to the backs of the wrists on the downstrokes. never done clapping ones but I wouldn't think it would be that bad if you trained up to it over time.

IronFist
11-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I can't think of a reason to do pushups with your wrists like that. I don't think it's really strengthening anything. It's really not changing muscle recruitment. It's probably putting strain on the connective tissue in your wrist, tho.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-24-2005, 01:14 PM
wouldnt it be working pretty much everything in the outer forearms and a bit of inner as well? at least the rolling ones seem like they would.

you might be right ... it may do more harm than good ... but it seems like there's got to be some benifit to it for people to do it. i dont care to try it either though.

Oso
11-24-2005, 06:38 PM
I did say train it up over time.

When I was introduced to it I was told it was to strengthen your wrist to deliver a back of wrist strike. the mantis I did then utilized a lot of over hooking of the opponents arm and, among others, strikes with the back of the wrist to the face and neck.

rolling from the wrist to the fist and back definitely works the forearm.

I've been doing it since I was...22,23 maybe...not as often now but 25+ pushups like that twice a week for 10 years or so and only sporadically for the last 3 or so.

no issues yet and most people who encounter my wrists remark upon them...fwiw.

I was never taught to do it plyometrically, and I probably wouldn't (couldn't) do it now but wouldn't have hesitated 8 years ago.

I only have 3 students who I've told to start doing them...and I make them do them elevated on a mat for now.

Oso
11-24-2005, 06:45 PM
I can't think of a reason to do pushups with your wrists like that. I don't think it's really strengthening anything. It's really not changing muscle recruitment. It's probably putting strain on the connective tissue in your wrist, tho.

what about S.A.I.D. ?

If what I want to do is hit you hard w/ the back of my wrist then I should be doing something that simulates that, right?

IronFist
11-24-2005, 10:58 PM
what about S.A.I.D. ?

If what I want to do is hit you hard w/ the back of my wrist then I should be doing something that simulates that, right?

Oh snap! Using my own argument on me :D

If you want to be hitting things hard with the back of your wrist, then the best way to train that would be to practice hitting things with the back of your wrist.

Are you talking about doing it to strengthen your wrist for hitting? What do you mean by "strengthen?" Make the bone more dense? Become stronger in the motion?

If it works for you, then keep it up. I'm just saying I would be scared to try it.

Now that I think about it, I took an introductory 2 week course at this Hapkido school many years ago and I think we did pushups like that there, too. I just remember them hurting my wrists.

I would say there are better ways to strengthen the muscles around there (such as with various forearm exercises, like that thing I can't remember the name of that looks like a sledgehammer) and condition the bones around there (hitting stuff the way you would strike with your wrist and building up the force over time).

I dunno. I'm tired. I gotta go get ready for black Friday, anyway :p

Oso
11-26-2005, 04:22 AM
Oh snap! Using my own argument on me :D

:D

If you want to be hitting things hard with the back of your wrist, then the best way to train that would be to practice hitting things with the back of your wrist.

Are you talking about doing it to strengthen your wrist for hitting? What do you mean by "strengthen?" Make the bone more dense? Become stronger in the motion?

Honestly, I don't know for sure. One of the things is definitely flexibility of the wrist. That is surely by stretching ligament and probably deforming cartilige(sp?) Doing the rolling ones definitely makes both the inner and outer forearms burn like a mother. I think it simply makes you put your wrist in the position you will be in when striking with it while under pressure.

If it works for you, then keep it up. I'm just saying I would be scared to try it.

Now that I think about it, I took an introductory 2 week course at this Hapkido school many years ago and I think we did pushups like that there, too. I just remember them hurting my wrists.

I know a karate school that utilizes the same type of strike. So, I know it's not just a kung fu thing.

I would say there are better ways to strengthen the muscles around there (such as with various forearm exercises, like that thing I can't remember the name of that looks like a sledgehammer) and condition the bones around there (hitting stuff the way you would strike with your wrist and building up the force over time).

I agree from simply a muscle building aspect. Hard to beat a wrist roller thingie.
I'd rather have a student start with pushups like this before striking something that way. As I said above, I start my students who want to do it slowly...elevated on a mat or on their knees for starters.

I dunno. I'm tired. I gotta go get ready for black Friday, anyway :p

I got to stay away from all that crap luckily. Just a few bookstores in downtown Ann Arbor where I've been this week. Would you believe that not one of the two good used book stores right next to campus had a copy of The Water Margin???

FightingGorilla
06-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Surprisingly very good quality video for only being about 1.5MB... thanks for sharing...

chaiwai
06-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Good for inspiration.

I was able to do something like that as a kid, not quite at that speed.
About the wrist push ups, it's only good if you strike with the wrist. Most people don't. Just remmembered one of those Mr. Miagi upward crane blocks with the wrist.

EarthDragon
06-17-2006, 05:12 AM
I too teach/practice praying mantis and for years have done wrist push ups, finger pushups and rocking pushups. The wrist pusgh up condition the wrist for striking dull the sensitivity in the nerve endings at the base of the ulna and radius. it also helps strengthen the ligaments, just as finger push ups strengthen the fingers