PDA

View Full Version : Recommended for learning Qigong

JaguarWarrior
11-24-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm interested in learning some qigong to add to my Praying Mantis training. I've been a meditator of a few years now, and have noticed a great change in the energy I can feel ever since beginning my kung fu training. Right now I do a regular meditation where breathe slowly and deeply through the nose, focus on clearing my mind of all thoughts, then I focus on that energy point below the naval. After a few minutes I can feel an amazing charge at that energy point and my head feels light and euphoric.

Now I want to learn more about how to build up more qi, and how to use it for healing and improving my training.

For those who feel they have made progress with their qigong, what would you recommend to a seeker?

woliveri
11-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Your id says you're in Korea. If so I'd look up SunDo.

http://www.sundo.org
http://www.sundousa.com

I haven't had the opportunity to investigate this personaly but have talked to an 6 year practioner here in California. From what I hear it sounds great.

hope this helps.

onyomi
11-27-2005, 12:47 AM
I really like the Yijin-jing Qigong I do with my PM. There's some info about qigong methods usually associated with PM here:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39273

JaguarWarrior
11-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Sun-Do looks very interesting, but I couldn't seem to find where an instructor might be in Seoul.

That PM Qigong thread is good too. But wouldn't it be best to learn qi excercizes from an instructor? Or can it be possible/recommended to learn them from a book or video?

hunglengjon
12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
I've only recently started furthering my qigong practice and found books by Mantak Chia most informative, especially for a relative beginner looking to become aware of the chi circulation and opening the microcosmic orbit.

Having said that, my Sifu is a universal healing Tao instructor and advised against getting too carried away with the books and it's best to balance physical instruction with further reading and solo experimentation.

Hope that helps

JaguarWarrior
12-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have read a book by Mantak Chia, it was called "the multi-orgasmic man", a very good book! It was about moving your chi during sex, which has worked wonders for me. I think I will look for another book by him about more general and martial chi practices.

chris_b
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Try the book:
"Qigong Empowerment" - Liang Shou Yu, Wu Wen Ching - ISBN 1-889659-02-9 from Way of the Dragon Publishing (do a google search).

I'll give you the blurb:
"Qigong Empowerment is the most unique and complete volume ever written in the English language on Qigong. This volume can be used for attaining better health, for healing, for gaining extraordinary power, and for spiritual development.

This volume consists of five books which covers:
* Traditional Chinese Medical theories and Qi cultivation methods
* Daoist methods to foster Essence, Qi, Spirit
* Buddhist Esoteric Abilities of the Body, Speech, and Mind
* Emitting, Absorbing, and Healing Qigong
* Wushu Iron Shirt Training

Qigong Empowerment includes nearly half a century of Master Liang's qigong studies, experiences, and legendary travels through China. It is a volume that you can refer to over and over again for all your energy studies."

All in all, a very good book. I bought it!

Hope you find that useful...

monkeyfoot
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey

Taiji Qigong by Chris Jarmey is a really well presented informative book that is perfect for people beginning their journey. It covers in a relative deepness

Yin and Yang
Qi - heavenly, earthly, human/animal etc etc
Original Qi
the three treasures - jing, shen Qi etc
qi vortices
the gate of vitality
dantian
the channels of chi - primary
pathways around the body - fire, wind, water
extrodinary vessels
external + internal qigong
passive and active methods

thats the first section of the book, the 2nd sections explains the fundermentals of your stance, spine alignment, daoist breathing, buddhist breathing, and everything else you can think of. Section three takes you through the 18 movements of Taiji Qigong giving 3 different ways of approaching each movement depending on your experience.

All in all a perfect book for anyone starting out or just as a reference for others.

craig

JaguarWarrior
12-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Excellent! :D

Thank you Chris B and MonkeyFoot, those both look like good places to start.

chud
01-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey

Taiji Qigong by Chris Jarmey is a really well presented informative book that is perfect for people beginning their journey.
All in all a perfect book for anyone starting out or just as a reference for others.

craig

Thanks for sharing that info, I'll have to pick up that book.