PDA

View Full Version : Check it! It's like sanshou, only with wing chun...

Jumpin'Sidekick
11-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Also going to ground is allowed.
http://drummania.pri.ee/wt/video/koong-sao-tournament.wmv
And it's combat-effective. I like it but I don't train in that club. I haven't seen any better wing chun than this.
There are some other videos, too. Check out the new ones on the top of the page.
http://www.meihua.ee/en/video
I didn't know that there was any wing chun places in Estonia and that they really teach all of the stuff and so well too.
So, what do you think of these videos.

David Jamieson
11-25-2005, 08:28 AM
interesting.

could see there was a need for some basic training outside of what style they are trying mma-ify.

the approach is good, needs a little work in the tactical development.

hskwarrior
11-25-2005, 10:05 AM
:D nice video. Outside of the horse stance, i didn't really see too much wing chun. Mostly kick boxing. a lot of kickboxing for it to be the wing chun style.

still, some of the got some pretty good shots in. like that knee to the ribs that sent the other guy to the ground. that was good:D

all in all, if i was trying to figure out if i should go learn mma, or that schools wing chun mixed with ground fighting, i'd stick to the mma. why learn their wing chun if you're going to look just like mma stylists, or san shao.

still, good video. its opened my eyes to a few things.

thanks

shirkers1
11-25-2005, 10:35 AM
:D nice video. Outside of the horse stance, i didn't really see too much wing chun. Mostly kick boxing. a lot of kickboxing for it to be the wing chun style.

still, some of the got some pretty good shots in. like that knee to the ribs that sent the other guy to the ground. that was good:D

all in all, if i was trying to figure out if i should go learn mma, or that schools wing chun mixed with ground fighting, i'd stick to the mma. why learn their wing chun if you're going to look just like mma stylists, or san shao.

still, good video. its opened my eyes to a few things.

thanks

Well I know there is a lot of bad WC out there, so some might not think that it was WC because they're use to seeing garbage. But that looked like WC to me with full resistance! Same stances, kicks, rapid punches, elbows, straight blasts etc. So I don't know if you're just not familiar with WC or what, but it looked like WC to me. ;)

The problem is now that when ever any one sees any martial art "Fighting" without resistance it's deemed MMA... That's horse ****, coming from a mantis school that was geared towards this kind of training I find it offensive that people do this. They don't give TCMA's any credit because they say there's no full resistance training or fighting, and when the TCMA schools do this they say it's MMA now! The funny thing is I always thought that's what TCMA was about, actual fighting. Then when the whole internet thing came about and you could actually see what others were doing and training, I was like "holy **** these people are training garbage"....

I'm not putting down MMA, I enjoy it and think it's a usefull training tool for a lot of different venues. But there are and have always been schools that train like this within their own styles. But since they're not on a tv series putting it out there for the world they get lumped in with the rest of the garbage out there. ;)

I enjoyed this video, I wish more TCMA schools trained like this. Then maybe I wouldn't be as embarrassed having to explain I do KF. Instead I have to say chinese boxing or mantis boxing. :cool:

Eddie
11-25-2005, 11:17 AM
I agree not much wrong with their fighting. I can see the wing chun too. also agree more chinese martial artist must start to train like that

hskwarrior
11-25-2005, 11:41 AM
ok, i did go and watch it again. at a closer glance i did see some some wing chun, but it can be confused with thai boxing. i guess i've never seen wing chun in the ring before.

i also agree more schools should train like that. and that's how my sifu used to train us until people got "Sue" happy. now someone getting hurt in your school is a major liability.

But a lot of my students live in real tough neighborhoods and have to train for the reality of a life or death situation. but im training them to get into san shou. so soon.

hsk

dimmakseminar
11-25-2005, 03:04 PM
The appropriate name for this style of martial art is "Ring Chun".

Respectfully,

DMS

SAAMAG
11-25-2005, 09:12 PM
ok, i did go and watch it again. at a closer glance i did see some some wing chun, but it can be confused with thai boxing. i guess i've never seen wing chun in the ring before.

i also agree more schools should train like that. and that's how my sifu used to train us until people got "Sue" happy. now someone getting hurt in your school is a major liability.

But a lot of my students live in real tough neighborhoods and have to train for the reality of a life or death situation. but im training them to get into san shou. so soon.

hsk

Actually--that doesn't look like MT either. Far from it. There's not enough power behind any of that to be called muay thai, nor are there any techniques being done in the muay thai fashion (just because someone is using their knees doesn't make it MT).

One thing comes to mind when I've read your two posts on this: What does it matter what one "looks" like when they're fighting? Your body adapts based on your training and the current situation/pressure. When you get taken to the ground, you should do what's best for being on the ground, they didn't try to perform gwai choi in a side horse, or kwan sao in YGKYM, they got into a ground fighting position and used whatever wing chun they could when it was appropriate. I think this was a good use of style, while at the same time not limiting oneself to the style falsy believing it has all the answers.

BTW--God hadn't created light yet when this vid came out. It's a group of people from overseas from the LT/Boz camp.

David Jamieson
11-26-2005, 08:32 AM
tsk tsk...so critical.

Here these guys are making steps towards actually pressure testing their stuff to see for themselves what is what. That's what I'll give em props for. As time passes, tunes ups will be made I'm sure and the ways will improve.

Kristoffer
11-26-2005, 08:38 AM
all the respect to the guys competing and putting their skills to test. still, lol at the funny stances

Jumpin'Sidekick
11-26-2005, 10:36 AM
The stances should be real ones from wing chun. I haven't seen any other stances in wing chun.

fa_jing
11-26-2005, 02:24 PM
that's wing chun.

Vash
11-26-2005, 07:24 PM
The appropriate name for this style of martial art is "Ring Chun".

Respectfully,

DMS

DMS just Bong Sau'd the correct all over this thread.

Sifu Darkfist
11-26-2005, 07:35 PM
there is a fighter
that is holding his hands in the signature closed door configuration of the baji or the wutang fighters. he also eases his way into the fight with a progressive monkey stance and once he contacts he explodes ( touch and go for those that know) someone has been watching wutang to come up with that strategy its too good of an attempt to be coincidence.
he does not execute perfectly however he is far from a kick boxer. i beg to differ with those that say this is more kick boxing. i saw very little straight up "kick boxing" of course the mma was there but thats because it is part of their sport cant fault them for that. mantis is essientally mma anyway.:)