PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

SPJ
11-26-2005, 11:44 PM
So there are several high schoolers asked for lessons for Kung Fu.

One has some TKD before. Another has some karate. The last has no previous lessons.

where to start?

I looked into some info.

1. Xiao Fu Yen or little tiger sparrow. It is from Li Kun Shan-> Su Yu Chang mantis plus Liu Yun Qiao's Ba Ji fa jin.

2. Gong Li Quan: pre WWII used by central Nan Jing Kuo Shu Guan and Shang Hai central Jin Wu Men.

3. Li Pi Quan or throwing hand Mantis Shuai Shou Tang Lang.

What are your entry level forms or lessons in your style?

:)

count
11-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Tan Tui, of course.

David Jamieson
11-27-2005, 07:25 AM
bsl- lien bo and tan tui both are prelim forms

black tiger (my former teachers style) - black tiger half of tiger/crane matching set

black tiger (wong cheung's style) - Front Dummy

hung gar- gung gee fook fu

wing chun - siu nim tao

yang tai chi - 48 short form

SiuHung
11-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Ummm are you all saying that you'd start a beginner with forms? That doesn't seem quite right.:confused: Aren't forms supposed to come into play later in the game?

SPJ
11-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Yes. You are correct. They have to have the basic training before anything else.

I was thinking how to find out a general intro course that is not too style specific.

Since they do not know any style yet.

In my list;

1. Fu Yen has 3 levels. It is a mantis "beginner" form。

2. Gong Li has the structure of Ba Ji and stance practices of Tan Tui. It is a beginner lesson in late 20' and 30's. It is a required course in Kuo Shu Guan and Jin Wu.

3. Li Pi is mantis style forms.

Or some general curriculum before a style specific training.

Wong Fei Hong
11-28-2005, 03:58 AM
I like you know who's approach because it teachers a begginer why you do it, most begginers will be lost in a form and spend so much time trying to remember each move that he wouldnt know WHY he is doing each move, also there is so much in there he wouldnt do the moves properly.

EarthDragon
11-28-2005, 07:16 AM
maybe Im confused but SPJ wy arent you teaching them they what, how and the way you were taught?

I have found that instead of trying to come up with something to teach, simply go back to when you started and teach that! There was a reason you stuck with it right? try to immitate that lesson.

In our ciriculum there is only one starting place for begginers ......... at the beginning. they earn the basics, solo stances, blocks, strikes. then they apply motion and eventually learn to couple this motion with a partner. Then they learn to feel the holes in thier partners defense then you teach them to act upon this feeling with joint seizing, throws and or take downs. then you venture to teach them the internal side, then medicine and so on.... Of course do this without predudice, profit or ego

SPJ
11-28-2005, 09:00 AM
thanks for the replies.

I started with Tan Tui. to learn the posture and balance.

Just assume the posture and stand.

--

YKW: Yes. It is a very good list. THX.

And excellent drill sets.

ED; good point about retracing one's own learning experiences.

:)

Wong Ying Home
11-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Start with,

How to pivot on the heel, the importance of correct footwork,

8 Basic stances that are used in your cirriculum all the time.
Verbal explanation, of position mechanics and use physical demonstration of position mechanics and use, student emulates. Instructor makes corrections and repeat.
Static then walking drills

As above for 8 kicks

As above for 8 hand strikiing techniques Static then walking drills

Do this for 3 to 6 months or longer depending on how precise and good you want them to be to ensure a strong foundation

suggest students to make notes at end of class so they retain most important points for each movment.

No point doing forms if you have to continually need to correct basics position all the time, form should be working other skills

then applications or above or move into form work small bit at a time with applications of each move as drills to give deepers understanding of movments.

Conditioning, power training etc

That is how I was taught,