PDA

View Full Version : Ground Monkey

Judge Pen
11-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I was introduced to a ground monkey form recently. 98% of the form is ground techniques and fighting. More striking than grappling, but there is chin na from the ground as well. Anyone heard of a form or style such as this?

Oso
11-28-2005, 09:18 AM
we had one under my old teacher in boone.

it was pretty much takedowns to knees drops and followup striking. there was some striking up at an opponent from the downed position, mostly kicks to knees, ankles and sweeping the leg from down.

Judge Pen
11-28-2005, 09:22 AM
we had one under my old teacher in boone.

it was pretty much takedowns to knees drops and followup striking. there was some striking up at an opponent from the downed position, mostly kicks to knees, ankles and sweeping the leg from down.

That sounds like similar principles and techniques. Was it a "monkey" form as well?

SPJ
11-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Not an expert.

But monkey styles has ground techniques and forms. They also have long arms swing and extending to grab the rib side like Pi Gua.

I heard of drunken monkey ground forms with a lot of moves similar to Di Tang Quan or a style mainly on the ground.

There are also weapon forms on the ground, too.

Again.

not an expert.

:D

Oso
11-28-2005, 09:59 AM
it was simply called 'monkey'.

first move: fade back from attacker and catch a front kick low, trapping it, cross step to coil and then uncoil to throw and meet new attacker.

it had two different moves that were essentially the same:

defend a straight punch by moving slightly offline to the outside of the arm, trap the arm with your rear arm/hand and attack the neck/head w/ strike from lead hand and then trap head/neck and utilize arm bar to throw.

Golden Tiger
11-29-2005, 06:18 AM
I was introduced to a ground monkey form recently

Was that one of ours or did you pick it up somewhere?

The one he taught was similar to the pdf I thought I sent you. It was also listed in that huge Shaolin book that was discussed a while back. As for techniques, I have a demo somewhere that M. Bob Green did a while back that has some neat applications in it. I'll try to send it if you are interested.

Judge Pen
11-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Was that one of ours or did you pick it up somewhere?

The one he taught was similar to the pdf I thought I sent you. It was also listed in that huge Shaolin book that was discussed a while back. As for techniques, I have a demo somewhere that M. Bob Green did a while back that has some neat applications in it. I'll try to send it if you are interested.

It was ours. He simply called it ground monkey. I haven't learned the entire form, we were just doing drills from the form. I've never been a big fan of monkey, but GM The' is teaching out a lot of monkey to us right now.

SPJ
11-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Monkey staff is most fun to see.

:)

Judge Pen
11-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Yes it is. I've seen some nice demos of monkey staff. Personally, based upon my limited experience trying to learn some of the techniques, I think monkeys are evil little critters.

Golden Tiger
11-29-2005, 10:10 AM
GM The' is teaching out a lot of monkey to us right now.

Its a fun little form, thats for sure. I found that my old body wasn't best suited for it but most seemed to like it.

What other monkey stuff has he taught out down there? White Monkey /Mantis? Heavenly aka Prays to Buddah Monkey?

Judge Pen
11-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I couldn't tell you their names. I haven't taken any of the monkey seminars (he has taught three his last three trips in). I was only introduced to this one by working out with Masters Garry and Kevin and a few others that had learned the form and they were working on some drills from it. It has some fun techniques.