PDA

View Full Version : Houston CMA

SeaAg
11-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Greetings to all...

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been reading a lot on this forum and it looks like a pretty good bunch of people. I have gathered a lot of great information…thank you. I’ve tried to search for as much as I could before asking a question so not to be too much of a noob:eek: ; please forgive me if I missed something. I’ve been interested in CMAs for quite some time but have never really had a good opportunity to study. I am just interested in getting some good exercise, meeting others with common interests, health benefits, and self-defense. I’m not looking to learn how to go out and beat the crap out of someone unless I had to. I would hope I never had to use my training for that reason, but it would be nice to feel prepared if I needed to. Anyway, I live in Galveston, TX and can’t find much around here, so I would need to go into Houston. I have seen quite a few posts regarding a few of the monks, but have realized that there are several of them with schools. They all seem to be in the same general area, with about the same prices and schedules. By no means do I want to start any conflicts, I was just wondering if one was more recommended than the others. I know they are all very skilled, but I’m sure they each have there own individual specialties. Do they teach basically the same thing? I’m primarily interested in tai chi and traditional kung fu (as opposed to the wushu performance). Nothing against the wushu, it’s just not what I’m looking for. I am planning on going to visit the schools soon, but I just thought I would get some other opinions.

I’ve found a few other instructors, but can’t really afford them.

Al-Waalee Muhammad – private classes only
Wushu kung-fu federation, inc. (http://www.wushuusa.com/) – not sure about this one
Jeff Bolt – can’t afford
Maybe some others…

I am also interested in Bomani Magharibi. I read some info on him in this forum…SunBeam I think. I would love to hear more about his Long Fist class. I wish I could afford the Pa Kua, but I can’t. He sounds pretty good. I talked with him a little on the phone and he sounds very genuine.

About me: I’m 35, male, used to be in pretty good shape courtesy of the US Army but have been slacking over the past several months:( . I don’t have any previous martial arts experience so it will be new to me...I have done a lot of research, though.

Again, any information given would be much appreciated. Any instructors that I missed please let me know. I do really enjoy reading through the forums and look forward to attempting to participate…I’m really new to this stuff.

Sorry if this has been too long…

Have a good one…

MasterKiller
11-29-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.kungfugold.com/

http://www.txkickboxing.com/index2.htm

SeaAg
11-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks, MasterKiller...I'll check those out. I guess I missed those.

MasterKiller
11-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Also, I think Henry Poo Yee is still teaching Praying Mantis in Houston. You might check out his organization. His people do fairly well at the Taiji Legacy tournament every year in Dallas.

As far as the monks go, you might cross-post your question on the Shaolin forum. Some students from the Houston temples post there occassionally, or you could visit Russbo.com and post there. They are all about Shaolin and could probably give you more detailed information.

Not all of the monks in Houston play well together. There is a rivalry between the schools, so take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

shrub
11-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Try Master Cheng Jincai in Houston, a genuine Chen Style tai chi lineage holder:
http://www.chenstyletaichi.com/english/pages/cheng.html

SeaAg
11-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help!

Not all of the monks in Houston play well together. There is a rivalry between the schools, so take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Okay...gotcha.

Yeah, I called Henry Poo Yee but his class was going to be $100/month. That, plus gas is a little much for my college going budget. He does seem to be good tho.

I tried Master Cheng Jincai also and may check out his class. It's $69/month for 1 hr/week.

I'm starting to lean towards Master Shi De Shan's school. On Sat or Sun mornings, you can do: meditation - 30 min, chi gong - 1 hr, and chen tai chi - 1 hr for $40/month...twice/week - $70/month. However, it sounded like the class is rather large, so I'm not sure how much attention one gets. I may try to go check it this weekend.

I really liked the sound of Bomani Magharibi's long fist class, but it conflicts with my schedule for next semester:mad: **** school! Oh well, maybe some other time.

Anyway, those are my thoughts so far...still looking. I can't start until after finals anyway, so I have a few weeks to look. Again, thanks for the help.