PDA

View Full Version : Defense against Thai Boxing and other clips

YongChun
11-30-2005, 01:24 AM
http://www.wongkk.com/general/videos.html#Techniques%20against%20Muay%20Thai%20a nd%20Kickboxing

Ray

lawrenceofidaho
11-30-2005, 04:12 PM
I wasn't able to open the Muay Thai defense vids (unable to get the right codec for them), but I watched two of the anti-wrestling takedown technique clips. -Neither one of them are good ideas, IMO.

The first technique (application 7) might prevent an initial shot, but would leave your leg exposed and put you in a very vulnerable position for the grappler to "turn the corner" and take you down by driving in the 10 o' clock direction.

The second technique (application 8) is so obviously flawed that even a completely untrained person could see that the silk pajamas guy would be flat on his back and quickly side-mounted if his demo partner hadn't abruptly stopped his forward momentum to let him apply the counter....... No way that a complex motion like that is going to work, -especially if you try it at such a late stage in the attack.

Was anyone else able to view the clips about defending against Muay Thai?

-L

SevenStar
11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I can't, but just looking at the still pic, the guy's clinch is wrong. His hands are incorrectly positioned...

Matrix
11-30-2005, 09:28 PM
For some reason this one (http://wongkk.com/video-clips/courses-4/against-boxing01.html)can be played. Reality check in aisle 4. :rolleyes:

lawrenceofidaho
11-30-2005, 10:43 PM
For some reason this one (http://wongkk.com/video-clips/courses-4/against-boxing01.html)can be played. Reality check in aisle 4. :rolleyes:
Looks like a great technique......... if you like getting knocked out.

AndrewS
11-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Oh.
Dear.
God.

And I say that as an atheist. . .

Andrew

SAAMAG
11-30-2005, 11:43 PM
from what I saw---the guys that supposedly were thai boxers--sure didn't move, kick, or punch like one.

So who blocks a full knee attack with head clinched using their wrist? WHO?! That is pathetic.

Phil Redmond
11-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Try this to view them all.
http://www.download.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-2194_4-10410655.html
I use VLC Media Player to play files that normaly don't open for me.
Phil

Edmund
12-01-2005, 05:43 AM
That muaythai04 clip was not a particularly good defence against knees or the clinch.

Just lifting your arms like that is not going to break the guy's grip that easy.

(Thanks to Phil for the viewer software recommendation)

Mr Punch
12-01-2005, 09:41 AM
I get it... it's like Kung Pow or Kentucky Fried Movie or Kung Fu Hustle or those Peter Young clips or something right?:D

This is a spoof, right?

Right?

Tell me this is a spoof...

Somebody better tell those kids or someone's gonna wind up dead!:(

stricker
12-01-2005, 01:13 PM
"Spiritual Cultivation in Golden Shower" :eek:

Liddel
12-01-2005, 04:02 PM
If you want to practice for fighting/sparring a boxer at least use a boxer or someone with more background in said style.....

By the looks of it they never heard the term "throw punches in bunches" and the range seems very far to me.
I spar with a very competent boxer and its a little more 'trickey' than what they are preparing themselves for there IMHO.

To be fair they could be beginners for all i know ???

zooki
12-01-2005, 04:17 PM
I found Emin Boztepe and his ways of countering kicks/ wrestlers to be more effective.

Matrix
12-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Try this to view them all.Thanks Phil!
The good news is I can now play all the videos, the bad news is I can now play all the videos. :p

Mr Punch
12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
If you want to practice for fighting/sparring a boxer at least use a boxer or someone with more background in said style.....

By the looks of it they never heard the term "throw punches in bunches" and the range seems very far to me.
I spar with a very competent boxer and its a little more 'trickey' than what they are preparing themselves for there IMHO.

To be fair they could be beginners for all i know ???Sorry, didn't know this was a serious chat, like I said I was hoping it was a spoof.

Liddel's on the nail, although I could only actually stand to watch the 'boxing' one.

1) They don't have any boxers there.

2) They've never seen a boxing match.

3) They are using the famous kungfu standard, the 'attacking' from 'outside the need-to-get-a-bus range'.

4) The putting your hand up like you're directing traffic (but traffic cops actually move their hands) is a guaranteed way to stop any attack... especially as...

5) This method has proven effective against battalions of people who are foiled into being only capable of attacking one stationary target... usually they are arthritic.

6) Maybe they are only beginners, carefully practising the way to get your ass handed to you on a plate.

7) What exactly is the guy in the red silk pajamas doing? I guess he's some kind of teacher figure, despite the fact that he appears to be walking into the near distance talking and waving to himself.

8) If they were my students I'd be walking into the very far distance.

Tallgeese
12-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Is to always use a 'double-approach' that is not to simply block or punch but to 'block-&-punch/kick' at the same time. Since someone is already throwing a punch (or kick) at you, you may as well 'block & counter' at the same time. He needs some time to recover, but the best way is to go into the kill. One must think in terms of 'combination's or 'strings' of moves (not preconviced but fluid) & that can only come after training. Against Kickboxers & tend to combine 'trickery' with speed. Often he may throw kicks while I'd aim for shins before (suddenly) throwing a shot at his head following by the ribs & a kick to the shin (usually in some kind of random order). However, my advantage has always been speed.

Matrix
12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Sorry, didn't know this was a serious chat, like I said I was hoping it was a spoof.

Liddel's on the nail, although I could only actually stand to watch the 'boxing' one.

1) They don't have any boxers there......etc.......It's hard to take this stuff seriously, that's why I called a "reality check" in an earlier post. Certainly all your points ( and Liddel's) are on the mark, IMO.

YongChun
12-02-2005, 06:31 PM
It's hard to take this stuff seriously, that's why I called a "reality check" in an earlier post. Certainly all your points ( and Liddel's) are on the mark, IMO.

I think all those people are serious but maybe just haven't go experience against the real Thai boxer or real boxer. A lot of the things most Wing Chun people do seems to be viewed the same way by todays MMA crowd.

Ray

Eliver
12-03-2005, 04:45 AM
I found Emin Boztepe and his ways of countering kicks/ wrestlers to be more effective.
I wouldn't be surprised considering Boztepe has probably rolled with guys going all out on him.

http://wongkk.com/video-clips/wrestling/emiko01.html

i'm going to feel really bad for that girl the second she goes up against a wrestler half that size who
1. knows fighting isn't the street isn't a wrestling mat and doesn't plan to lie on her all day
2. knows how to grapevine the legs making pushing off the ground impossible
3. knows how to apply a proper mount on the chest.

the boxing counter is hilarious too. "oh boy! I will chase your hands all day while you keep trying to punch me! One question though, when do i get my turn to punch you?"

Matrix
12-03-2005, 08:30 AM
I think all those people are serious but maybe just haven't go experience against the real Thai boxer or real boxer. A lot of the things most Wing Chun people do seems to be viewed the same way by todays MMA crowd. Ray, They may be serious, I suspect that they are, otherwise why we they be wasting their valuable time dong what they're doing. I just think, based on what I can see, that the training is of limited benefit and may in fact be dangerous in that they think this stuff will work against a real fighter. This is just the type of training that gives CMA a bad rap with the MMA crowd.

Matrix
12-03-2005, 08:35 AM
i'm going to feel really bad for that girl the second she goes up against a wrestler half that size who ............I thought they were getting ready to do CPR or something. :rolleyes:

whitefox
12-03-2005, 08:53 AM
It's the latest trendy LA workout. Kung Slap Cardio!!!!!!!!!:D