PDA

View Full Version : Chum Kiu turn

Jedi-X
11-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Can anyone give any pointers on how to improve the Chum Kiu turn?

CFT
11-30-2005, 08:38 AM
No, you can't meddle with the perfection of WCK handed to us by the ancestors! ;)

Seriously? Just practice. I try to be balanced in the turn and be stable when I stop.
I personally try to keep rear heel and front toe roughly in line for lateral stability.

Azteca Priest
11-30-2005, 10:22 AM
I was always told to focus on the knees while preforming chum kiu and that has helped my body unity greatly. In the end try what works for you.
Marty R

stonecrusher69
11-30-2005, 10:34 AM
How about instead of turning the feet just keep the feet rooted where they are and turn at the waist.You'll find it faster and easier.

couch
11-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Maybe you can help us out by explaining the way your Sifu has instructed you to shift and we can all offer our advice. If you don't tell me on what part of your foot your shifting on, where your balance is, etc...all I can say is:

Shifting is HARD. Practise.

Peace,
Kenton Sefcik

Jeff Bussey
11-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Jedi-X

When I learn a form, I really just keep repeating it over and over. As far as the turn, do like sets of 10 turns and repeat. Forget about the rest of the form, and just practice the turn.

I did/do the same with the elbows in biu jee or anything that I'm having a hard time with.

Once you feel more comfortable with the turn, put your arm in lan sau and have a person press on the outside of your elbow and then do the turn. You should be able to still turn with pressure against you. One of the big things you get from the turn is the ability to clear your path.

J

GungFuHillbilly
11-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Whenever you practice any motion, make certain that you are practicing with the correct intent. The Chum Kiu turn is for development; not application.

-GFH