PDA

View Full Version : First Grappling tournament on sunday

bodhitree
11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone, I'm excited to be competing in my first grappling tournament on Sunday. I will be competing at novice level (less than 1 year experience), and i have only 2 months grappling experience. I'm only really concerned with getting the experience, rather than winning (but I will try my hardest to win). I let everyone know how it went.

scott

Chief Fox
11-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Good luck. Looking forward to the report.

MasterKiller
12-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey everyone, I'm excited to be competing in my first grappling tournament on Sunday. I will be competing at novice level (less than 1 year experience), and i have only 2 months grappling experience. I'm only really concerned with getting the experience, rather than winning (but I will try my hardest to win). I let everyone know how it went.

scott

Sweet, I competed in my first submission tournament this summer. I lost, but I didn't get tapped and I didn't gas out, so I was happy about that. Live and learn!

JamesC
12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Lucky dog. In my first grappling tournament last year, we did it by weight, not experience. Geez...

I grappled two instructors. Hah! The first match lasted a grand total of 7 seconds. He tapped me out with a key lock.

The second was much better. I still lost though. The round was about 8 minutes. He finally tapped me with a key lock as well. But from a different angle. He was an instructor from my school, so it was more of a sparring lesson to me.:rolleyes:

Good luck. Are you wearing gi? If so watch out for the judo guys...they are rough.

bodhitree
12-01-2005, 10:56 AM
It also goes by weight, I will be in the welterweight class
155-169.5
I'm normally between 167 and 170, I'll be at the top of the weight class!

bodhitree
12-05-2005, 07:41 AM
okay guys,
I lost, but I don't look at it as that big of a deal. I didn't tap and fought to the end. I also realize some of the key mistakes i made, When he scored the takedown i didn't get my knees up high to get a butterfly guard, It kept going from him mounting me to me getting half guard and trying to trip him, i kept trying to go one direction and then the other and not change midway. I tripped him halfway off on many occasions. I avoided his attempt at an americana, and got him in a sloppy guillotene choke, but couldn't get him in my guard and he easily got out. It was overall a good experience.

Chief Fox
12-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Nice work. Sounds like a great experience. Kudos to you for getting in there and testing your skills.

JamesC
12-05-2005, 09:35 AM
You'd be surprised at the stuff some people can learn from losing.

We had a guy that was in our class for nearly a year before he went to the tournament and, to be honest, he just sucked. He wasn't getting it at all. He went to the tournament, lost twice, and within a month, he was so much more relaxed that his skill grew in leaps and bounds.

I don't know how it happened, but he just got so much better afterwards.

bodhitree
12-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies and interest!

MasterK
have you had any more tournaments since your first?

I cant wait, it was a lot of fun.

Mizri
12-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Congrats on your experience.
You'll be wiser next time.