PDA

View Full Version : Something nobody talks about

yutyeesam
11-30-2005, 03:35 PM
In Enter the Dragon, why does Jim Kelly and his Karate school all say "hoop hoop hoop" when they do their kiais? Is that the result of the zaniness of 70's, or is there an actual style the kiais like that? I've never heard it before.

TenTigers
12-16-2005, 12:51 PM
In the Karate schools scene, which takes place at Steve Sanders' BKF Kenpo Karate Studio, if you notice, they do kiai, but the person leading the class, Donnie Williams, and Steve Sander's before him say,"Move". This is a Kenpo thing. My teacher used to say this as well. Some people have it so it sounds like a grunt-'mumph'. In the fight scene, however, Jim Kelly does seem to say "Hoop", or something similar. These are probabl;y just affactations that differents schools use to separate themselves from the rank and file. Kinda like Bruce lee using his screams. If you watch Brendan lai in the video he did with Chan Pui,Adam Hsu, and Doc Fai-Wong, he "kiais" very similarly to the way Bruce Lee did as Kato. More of a '"Haaaiii!" sound. I wonder if everyone in Brendan lai's school does this as well?

-N-
12-20-2005, 05:07 PM
In the Karate schools scene, which takes place at Steve Sanders' BKF Kenpo Karate Studio, if you notice, they do kiai, but the person leading the class, Donnie Williams, and Steve Sander's before him say,"Move". This is a Kenpo thing. My teacher used to say this as well. Some people have it so it sounds like a grunt-'mumph'.
Yep. Did kenpo in the 70's. That's what I saw as well.

In the fight scene, however, Jim Kelly does seem to say "Hoop", or something similar. These are probabl;y just affactations that differents schools use to separate themselves from the rank and file.
Common for the different schools to have different characteristic kiai. Also, within one school you could have individual variations. Kenpo did a lot of point tournaments. Distinctive kiai can help the judges cue in to who's tryig to score with an attack.

If you watch Brendan lai in the video he did with Chan Pui,Adam Hsu, and Doc Fai-Wong, he "kiais" very similarly to the way Bruce Lee did as Kato. More of a '"Haaaiii!" sound.
He didn't do this all the time. Typically when making a point in demonstrating something.

I wonder if everyone in Brendan lai's school does this as well?
Nope. Sometimes. In my case, just sharp exhale... like a "shhhhhh" or "haaaa" sound... mostly air.

N.

p.s. Had been working out as a guest with a local Karate school. They want people to kiai when sparring, so I did make a point to do more than just exhale when sparring there. When in Rome, y'know.

yutyeesam
12-26-2005, 01:16 PM
In the Karate schools scene, which takes place at Steve Sanders' BKF Kenpo Karate Studio, if you notice, they do kiai, but the person leading the class, Donnie Williams, and Steve Sander's before him say,"Move". This is a Kenpo thing. My teacher used to say this as well. Some people have it so it sounds like a grunt-'mumph'. In the fight scene, however, Jim Kelly does seem to say "Hoop", or something similar. These are probabl;y just affactations that differents schools use to separate themselves from the rank and file. Kinda like Bruce lee using his screams. If you watch Brendan lai in the video he did with Chan Pui,Adam Hsu, and Doc Fai-Wong, he "kiais" very similarly to the way Bruce Lee did as Kato. More of a '"Haaaiii!" sound. I wonder if everyone in Brendan lai's school does this as well?

Wow! That's pretty sweet! Thank you for that breakdown. It's interesting, thinking about the major vowel sounds used in various kiais. Seems like the only major vowel sound not used overtly is "o". Maybe it gets used when belted in the gut! :D