PDA

View Full Version : The importance of bag work

Iron_Eagle_76
12-02-2005, 01:04 PM
This question goes out to those who work out on the heavy bag, speed bag, focus mitts, ect. What is your routine and schedule. Personally, I do heavy bag work 3 times per week, directly following my weight lifting routine. Usually do five, five minute rounds, 1-2 minute intervals. Twice a week on the focus mitts with a training partner. Other than sparring, I find no better workout that improves power, timing,
and wind.

SevenStar
12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
sounds like you're on the right track. However, for the purpose of competitive fighting, training in 5 min rounds won't do you any good unless the venue you are competing in features 5 min rounds. Boxing and thai boxing (what I train for) has 2-3 min rounds, so I train multiple rounds at those lengths. I use heavy, speed and double end bags

IronFist
12-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Double End bags are awesome. I haven't used mine in sooooooo long. **** when I first got that thing I could barely hit it :D

I found it was actually somewhat useful for crazy monkey blocking, as well. Instead of slipping and weaving you and do crazy monkey blocks. Of course, sometimes if I tried to dodge it and still got hit in the elbow, I'd be like "yup, that was a crazy monkey block." :D Then I would go cry :(

Iron_Eagle_76
12-15-2005, 08:15 AM
I don't train on the double end bag anymore because I don't have access to one. Right now, I train at a friend's martial arts school and my gym because we are in between schools right now. The reason I do five minute rounds is to increase my wind, the marathon rather than the sprint, so to speak. Anyway, Seven, have you competed in San Shou yet. I want to go to the Arnold Classic in Columbus, OH the first weekend in March. Not sure if I'm going to compete, I don't feel I'm in good enough shape right now.

glich
12-27-2005, 10:26 PM
i finaly have a real bag i can't wait to mount it 100lb canvas:D

Ironfist i have a bit of money left over and was debating between a double ended bag or a speed bag witch do you think would be more benificial to a jkd/mma wannabe ?

i've been improving with a 50lbs sand bag in an old military duffle bag hung up it works great for infighting practice

IronFist
12-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Personally, I don't like speed bags, but some people swear by them. Maybe I'm just not sure what they're used for.

So, I'd vote for the double-end bag. Besides, it doesn't require a special mount like a speedbag does, and it will greatly increase your accuracy.

SevenStar
12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
The reason I do five minute rounds is to increase my wind, the marathon rather than the sprint, so to speak.

that's understandable. In the name of sports specificity though, I would break it up. So, instead of two 5 min rounds, do five 2 min rounds.

Anyway, Seven, have you competed in San Shou yet.

Not yet, but the thought has been crossing my mind.

I want to go to the Arnold Classic in Columbus, OH the first weekend in March. Not sure if I'm going to compete, I don't feel I'm in good enough shape
right now.

Keep us updated!

SevenStar
12-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Ironfist i have a bit of money left over and was debating between a double ended bag or a speed bag witch do you think would be more benificial to a jkd/mma wannabe ?

the speed bag is good for building coordination and also endurance in the shoulders and to a limited extent, the triceps. It will also reinforce the fact that you need to keep your hands up. Lastly, it will help develop timing and accuracy.

the double end bag also develops timing and accuracy, but that's the end of what it has in common with the speed bag. the double end ball teaches you defense (slipping or blocking the bag)

Personally, I love the speed bag. I like the double end bag also.

syn
12-28-2005, 03:59 PM
I have a heavy bag, but am not really sure how to properly use it in order to really help. Are there good times to work out if you're just starting, and is there a proper way to wrap the hands? I usually just take a strogn kind of tape and wrap my hands in it so that it's tight. OR am I supposed to even wrap the hands at all?

glich
12-28-2005, 05:23 PM
thx for your help Ironfist and SevenStar
Now i can see the value of both. I've been looking for a way to
work on my slipping without being punched in the face everytime I try :eek:
If i play my cards i just might be able to get both.

am I supposed to even wrap the hands at all?

do you have a canvas or vinyl?

there are a few of ways you can go on this one depending on what kinda bag u have. Some like 2 use bag gloves others like to use fist wraps both of witch u can pick up at a sports shop. still ive heard thats some use fist wraps and gloves. myself i use fist wraps for long sessions and bare knuckles for single techniques.

As for workouts i plan on adopting the marathon 5/5 min rounds with a 1 min break in between but do some research on the ways to use a bag and always remember nothing is set in stone and you should modify any exercise to your level of fittness.
good luck with your new bag :D

syn
12-28-2005, 06:40 PM
canvas or vinyl? Like a painting canvas? I could probably just go buy some wraps at a sports shop, I think I would prefer that over gloves. In sparring I never use gloves because I can't move my hand much or get a good grip. Also when you say 5/5 rounds do you mean practice for 5 minutes, then take a 1 minute break and start back up? Thanks for the info.

glich
12-28-2005, 08:30 PM
canvas or vinyl? Like a painting canvas?

pretty much canvas i very rough and good for hand conditioning but only if you make good contact and don't graze your knuckle trust me i know:) The problem with vinyl in my opinion is when it gets sweaty it can cause bad contact on the bag and more knuckle grazing .

when you say 5/5 rounds do you mean practice for 5 minutes, then take a 1 minute break and start back up? Thanks for the info.

yah it was mentioned in the post by iron eagle it was the opening post :D

have you consider what weight you want to get i just got a 100 lb. bag :D

syn
12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
I think mines fairly light. Maybe 40 lbs? I could always check tomorrow.