PDA

View Full Version : CLF - You're Preferred Range

Infrazael
12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
This has been a question weighing on my mind for quite some time now. . . . . . a fighting aspect of CLF that I've been wondering about.

When I first started our wonderful system, I had this vague impression it was a long-range style because of the long, circular strikes we use. However as my understanding of the style became deeper and due to some help from other cool Kung Fu players all over the net and life, my understanding CLF now is that it is a close-quarters, long-arm system designed to pummell and crush whoever's in you way via continuous, relentless and chain-linked techniques (ie, multiple Gwa-Kups, Pow Choys/Fan Jongs).

However, I've been watching other Northern Longfist videos as well as those of Southern Fist, primarily Hung Gar (and the other Gars). Now one thing I've noticed from discussing and watching the N. Longfist is that they seem to prefer medium to long range strikes, totally different from what I've been told (as far as I know from talking to Sifu, Sihings etc), because what I've been told is to blitz in, keep in, exploit openings, destroy guards, and press, press, press when you breach a wall in the opponent.

The obvious conclusion is that by breaking and entering, you're naturally moving TOWARDS the guy's center, and pressing YOUR mass, movement, direction into HIM. Sounds very Tiger/Panther-ish now, doesn't it? Well, mabye it's Elephant, but whatever the case, from the way I started fighting up until now, I've always tried to bridge/close the gap, close in, jam as much crap as I can muster, and pummel away like a repeating staple gun (ok, not really but you get my point).

Now I watch Hung Gar and they seem to be pretty much the same, except via shorter, "harder" movements, more snappy, not as flowy, not as cool looking (ok, tha was a joke). Yet the range TO ME has been pretty much the same, ie get in their face and say a BIIIIG "F-You" to them with your fists. :p

Yet I'm always exploring new concepts and re-delving into CLF pretty much every day. . . . . I read everything from Kwoon sites to Wikipedia. I've also made some comparisons between CLF and Northern Longfist. What I wanted to ask you guys is do you think there is a "Set Range of Attack" for CLF, or do you think our system is SO VERSATILE as to dominate in all ranges? (short, middle, long). It appears we have the Southern flavor of entering and smashing from up close, via the longfist movements of the North gone South (like circular smashing vs. linear movements which are wierd).

Do you see CLF as a close-range Art? Or do you see us as medium, long range. . . . . Also, what is your view on the footwork? I've seen some ppl use iron hard stances and others use a very Northern footwork (eg Buk Sing). . . some like to ground like Hung Gar whereas others are all over the place. Or is this a mere personal interpretation of the style? Do you think there is a "correct" format of combat application, a "perfect formula" for executing CLF techniques with the highest degree of efficiency, power and destructiveness?

Sorry for the jumbo and rant. . . . . this has been on my mind.

So Frank, Fu-Pow, Sean all you guys, . . . . speak your mind. :rolleyes:

Infrazael
12-04-2005, 10:19 PM
C'mon, where's all my CLF bros out there!!! :cool:

Fu-Pow
12-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I think you're on to something there. Even though CLF has long arm strikes on the average its a shorter range style compared to Northern Long fist for example. There are lots of similarities there also though. It seems like in Long Fist the energy is more linear and in CLF the energy is from more of an oblique angle.

Infrazael
12-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Agreed Fu-Pow. . . . I've been watchin all of these Northern Fist videos, they are essentially Gwa-Pao over and over again lol!!! (j/k). But seriously, they do alot of that.

Yet, we as CLF fighters tend to strike from virtually all angles and positions, we have Sau Choys coming down, hooks coming flat, uppercuts coming from far and close, rising/spear/back/uppercut/crushing elbows, rising/roundknees, Biu Jongs to strike when we're in a weak position, Gwa-Paos to uproot, Chop Choys close and far and also to close the gap. . . . . . .

Yet how many of us would throw a Sau Choy from 2 feet away? I know I wouldn't. . . . any person with half a brain should be able to figure out the "sweet spot" that place on the inner forearms. . . . . you literally cannot hit with that part if you're far away. So what do we do? Get up close and personal. . . . . . . .

Another thing I've been noticing with the Northern footwork is that again. . . . linear. Even at angles, it is more triangular in nature. . . . . I totally agree with what you said about the "oblique angles" that we have.

Also when looking at footwork, we have alot of side to side movement, circular power, whipping power that can only be generated by MASSIVE rotation of the waist. Also that downward, crushing energy you feel coursing down your arms when you do your Gwa, Sau and Kups. . . . that sweet tingle hehe. Anyways I digress, what I'm saying is that in Northern they seem to have 2 directions, forward and backward, wheras while we use LONG ARM techniques, they are executed at CLOSE RANGE via SIDE MOTION. We don't need distance to generate power. IE, Gwa-Saus come down on the side of their neck and collarbone.

Anyways. . . . I need to get back to homework. And please disagree if you want, I'm trying to force myself to ask these questions so we can all better understand our art and its evolution.

Peace

David Jamieson
12-05-2005, 07:05 AM
blitz in, keep in, exploit openings, destroy guards, and press, press, press when you breach a wall in the opponent.

not a clfer, but i would say that this approximates the tactics I've come to learn and use preferentially over long techniques.