PDA

View Full Version : SPM or CLF?

Pounding Fist
12-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Hi All,

I have been currently studying a type of Southern Mantis kung fu for the last year and half and feel as though something is missing. The Sifu is great, however I don't feel as though there is enough pressure testing and aliveness in the training. All sparring is somewhat controlled which I guess is good when you are using no gloves. The sparring is more or less a drill in which you might not know what strike is coming, good for reflexes however there is minimum resistance from the person throwing the punches. The person may throw a strike, you then redirect their energy, attach and issue 4-5 strikes. Is this a common scenario when sparring in this style? Pls make note that I'm more or less at an intermediate stage of training.

Getting to my point! I hear that a lot of CLF practitioners engage in full contact sparring and feel that would be more suitable in a SD situation. My problem is that I'm starting to develop that short power strikes that Tong Long is reknown for and feel at this stage of my training to start a new art would disadavantage my development.

Any thoughts.....:confused:

Infrazael
12-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Well, my Sifu Mak Fai learned SPM from age 10-14, then switched over to CLF. . . . I don't know why, mabye he just liked CLF better.

Anyways mabye you should keep at it, talk to your Sifu about the full contact sparring. Mabye just don't hit vital areas, wear 4 oz. (MMA) gloves for maximum movement. . . . . keep it safe is the most important factor.

CLF is DRASTICALLY different from the SPM. . . . longfist vs. shock power. Totally different feel I'm sure.

Lohanhero
12-05-2005, 01:14 PM
dont be in a rush to go with full sparing, drills are going to make you better, lots of pollishing and development is required for you to use properly.

at the moment with people able to go to school to school of martial arts people can get very shallow with attitudes. you have a master, dont give up!

hope wasnt offensive :)

Pounding Fist
12-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the advice guys...

I think I might just give it some more time until I at least have more experience. Tonight I relaised how food my Sifu really was. He has everything you would want from a martial artist, technique, conditioning as well as being a natural athlete.

Very inspiring..