PDA

View Full Version : New PTP Bear Cycle

Samurai Jack
12-05-2005, 07:11 AM
I checked the forum for an old blog of mine that detailed my early experiences with Pavel's PTP "Bear" routine, but alas, it is no more. I'm starting up another cycle though after a two month lay-off from weight training, not without a little trepidation. I nearly killed myself with 20-rep deadlifts (metaphorically), and it was either quite aikido, or quit weights. I was so sore most of the time that I couldn't keep it up. I actually considered giving up wieghts forever... but quickly came to my senses.

Just thought I'd check in. Play has been a little sparse in the training forum lately. Must be all the dam n blogs! Hope everyone's doing well.

I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.

Samurai Jack
12-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Okay, so here're the lifts I'm going to train for the next couple of months along with the weights I started with using a Russian Bear protocol. Please keep in mind that I almost always start such a cylcle using ridiculously easy weights in order to insure impeccable form, then gradually increase weights over several months. I'm so injury prone, it's a necessary evil, really.

12/4/05
Military Press: 122 1/2 X 5 X 5
Concentration Curls: 40 X 5 X 5

12/5/05
Deadlift (not doing Sumo's anymore, so this is alot harder for me): 220 X 5 X 5

12/6/05
Coc Gripper: #2 X 5 X 1, #1 X 5 X 5 (working toward a #3 at the end of the cycle)

I'm going to work on upping the over-all volume to no less than ten sets per workout before I start increasing the weights. I should be training in full swing, increasing resistance every workout, in about two weeks. I'm training seven days a week, alternatinf each seperate component.

IronFist
12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
^ So you're trying to get hypertrophy from using your Coc?

omg it HAD to be said :D

Samurai Jack
12-07-2005, 12:27 AM
:D Hee-heee!

No, actually, I've been neglecting my Coc for a long, long time. I've got a lot of catching up to do, so I figured I'd do a bunch of "reps" on it with as little rest as possible, until I'm too exhausted to continue.

:eek:

In all seriousness, I'm just experimenting with the gripper. I haven't had a whole lot of success doing the two or three sets most people seem to recommend, so I'm trying for volume. It can't hurt.

Toby
12-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Let us know how you go with #3. Anyone done it yet on the forum?

I still play with my CoCs on Fridays. I do 3 sets x 5 reps (as many full reps as I can followed by partials) on the #2 then follow up with 3 x 16-20 on the #1. If you can do 5 reps on the #2, 5 reps on the #1 is kinda a waste of time IMHO. I don't start to tire until 12+. Maybe if I shortened the rest period from 15min to 1min ... :D

Ford Prefect
12-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Good luck, comrade. ;)

And no. I can't do a #3 coc. I'm not that type of guy.

FatherDog
12-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Good luck, comrade. ;)

And no. I can't do a #3 coc. I'm not that type of guy.

By which he means, he's married.

SevenStar
12-08-2005, 01:31 PM
a #3 CoC is too much for most people to handle, but if anyone can do it, Jack can.

I can't find the old blog either. I can find the 20 rep blog you started in '04, but I the other one isn't out there.

EDIT: It's been awhile since I looked at my PTP book, but didn't bear involve more than 2 sets?

IronFist
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
I still play with my CoCs on Fridays.

omg you have more than one?! :eek:

IronFist
12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Can we just make one thread to get all the CoC jokes out of the way? Seriously. I can't be mature in here.

My grip sure seems to get stronger the more I have my CoC in my hand.

My CoC is knurrled and it's chafing my hands.

I hope the spring on my CoC never breaks -- especially if I have my CoC close to my eyes at the time :eek:

My CoCs are almost too big to comfortably fit in my hand.

Is it cheating if you use two hands on your CoC?

I've outgrown my CoC and I need to order a new one.

Ok, I think I'm done.

I think.

Do you ever let anyone else use your CoC?

Samurai Jack
12-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Seven, maybe I wrote my workout down funny. I meant weight X reps X sets. The bear program is multiple sets.

Has anyone gone over to dragondoor lately? Those guys are such dor ks... callin' eachother "comrade" and cra p. I can't tell if you were teasing me or complimenting me Ford.

Anyway, I thought the KFM guys were waaay cooler than those dragondoor n00bs. Then I started reading Ironfist's posts.

Anyway, nice to see everyone's still around.

:D

IronFist
12-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Do they still call each other comrade and stuff? At least they all get along. I met a few people from that board at a PL meet and they were all nice and cool. I met our very own fa_jing, too, at that same meet.

No one here calls each other "kung fu brother" because we all argue and hate each other.

Of course, all the cool people on this board get along (me, you, Toby, Ford, etc.), but that's because we all agree because we're all right :D

Vash
12-09-2005, 10:50 PM
If I were someone of less-than-upright moral upbringing, I would be somewhat tempted to call Ironfist on his constant use, abuse, and seeming addiction to, CoC jokes.

Since I am not, however, such abasements of character will not occur.

****ing CoC Monkeys.

:eek:

IronFist
12-10-2005, 12:20 AM
^ What's wrong, man? Did you misplace your CoC again? :D :p :D :D :D

Samurai Jack
12-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Oh, Iron, do tell! Did they call each other "comrade" in person?!? If so, I've gotta go to the next meeting. I'd fly anywhere in the world to see that.

Now I must train, kung fu brothers.

IronFist
12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
No, not in person. Just on the board.

I posted vids and pics from the meet. Did you see them?

Samurai Jack
12-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Ooohhh, that meet. Yes, I remember that. Okay, those fellas seemed alright. I guess I cannot criticize the dragondoor guys too much, they know more about proper lifting than 99% of the people training in the gym these days.

IronFist
12-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Yeah, it's a good group of people.

SevenStar
12-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Seven, maybe I wrote my workout down funny. I meant weight X reps X sets. The bear program is multiple sets.

Has anyone gone over to dragondoor lately? Those guys are such dor ks... callin' eachother "comrade" and cra p. I can't tell if you were teasing me or complimenting me Ford.

Anyway, I thought the KFM guys were waaay cooler than those dragondoor n00bs. Then I started reading Ironfist's posts.

Anyway, nice to see everyone's still around.

my bad. For some idiot reason I was taking the X5X5 to be two sets of 5 reps, not 5 sets of 5.