PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun in Miami

Teachme
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey all...

I have been taking Krav Maga for about a year now. I think its time for a change problem is not the system but the school. I have always wanted to study Wing Chun since I was a kid. I found an instructor here in Miami begining classes in January. His name is Robert Smith and he told me that he is a Second Generation Yip Man student and that he has been teaching since 1978. I have been searching for information on him but all I found was a linage chart that did put a "Robert Smith from Miami" under Moy Yat. He is going to start teaching again in a church and is capping his class at 30 students. Does not teach women or children. Is anyone here familiar with this Sifu and his history? I am going to give him a try anyway just thought I'd ask and get a heads up.

Thank you,

Le

Robert Smith
12-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Robert Smith has been teaching Wing Chun since 1978 and enjoys teaching beginners. If you are interested in joining his class, call 305-323-3983 and ask for information. He sincerely gives his best to his students, and the best way to learn about his history is to join his class and learn it first hand.

rindge
12-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Le, I spent 1-2 months practicing with one of Robert's students in Miami - I think his name was Juan, but I might be wrong. Having spent 4 years in South Florida, Roberts students were probably the best (if not only) group in Dade. The skills of his students were very good. I left the class, though, on very sour terms due to Robert Smith. Robert came to teach / watch / participate in a class one night and spent some time explaining different concepts etc. During one of his speeches he gave an example and decided to refer to the Black's / African-American's in Overtown in a derogatory / racist term. As a Black person in the class I was offended and never went back to the class. I'm not sure what Robert's views on Black's really are, but his words were very clear. I explained why I left to Juan and another senior student (I think his name was Ralphael - both of these guys are really down to earth people and good WC guys). Ralphael and Juan, defended their sifu, pointed out that he was married to a Latina and declared that Robert "mis-spoke". Once again, I'm not sure what his views are, but I decided to vote with my wallet and leave the school.

Rindge

lawrenceofidaho
12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Robert Smith has been teaching Wing Chun since 1978 and enjoys teaching beginners. If you are interested in joining his class, call 305-323-3983 and ask for information. He sincerely gives his best to his students, and the best way to learn about his history is to join his class and learn it first hand.
Why is "Robert Smith" talking about Robert Smith in the third-person? :confused:

Robert Smith
12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Le, I spent 1-2 months practicing with one of Robert's students in Miami - I think his name was Juan, but I might be wrong. Having spent 4 years in South Florida, Roberts students were probably the best (if not only) group in Dade. The skills of his students were very good. I left the class, though, on very sour terms due to Robert Smith. Robert came to teach / watch / participate in a class one night and spent some time explaining different concepts etc. During one of his speeches he gave an example and decided to refer to the Black's / African-American's in Overtown in a derogatory / racist term. As a Black person in the class I was offended and never went back to the class. I'm not sure what Robert's views on Black's really are, but his words were very clear. I explained why I left to Juan and another senior student (I think his name was Ralphael - both of these guys are really down to earth people and good WC guys). Ralphael and Juan, defended their sifu, pointed out that he was married to a Latina and declared that Robert "mis-spoke". Once again, I'm not sure what his views are, but I decided to vote with my wallet and leave the school.

Rindge
Sorry you had a bad experience, it was miscommunication. I am not prejudice in any way and as far as the Black People in overtown, I have donated thousands of dollars over the last 17 years directly in the Miami Rescue Mission Mens Center, and also led countless clothes and food drives with Dade County Public School Students, call the Rescue Mission to confirm. I am sorry if I offended you.
Sincerley,
Robert Smith