PDA

View Full Version : feedback on this film if you saw it

teampapi
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen this film. It’s called "Myths and Logic of Shaolin Kung Fu” I am new to this forum and kung fu. I studied TKD and Shotokan for about 6 years. Anyways, I have much to learn yet but I thought this film was pretty good. The training that they do is incredible. If you have seen please give me your thoughts on it validity

Also, I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some recommendations on good books about kung fu. I live in a small town in central Wisconsin and I can not find a kung fu school near me. I know nothing replaces a good sifu but I don’t have any other options. I have a good understanding of the basics on MA so I won’t be walking into it to blindly. Thanks for any info.

Oh, and as for styles I am not particular yet. I want to read into it more to see what style or styles look suited for me.

viper
12-05-2005, 10:04 PM
yeah ive got that one its a good film i like it when they smash the bricks on his temple.

JamesC
12-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Haven't seen it. Mind telling me where you picked it up at? Sounds interesting.

teampapi
12-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Haven't seen it. Mind telling me where you picked it up at? Sounds interesting.

I found it on netflix. http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60027302&trkid=90529

PangQuan
12-09-2005, 11:37 AM
i downloaded that a while back on a file share program.

I think its pretty good, except for the translation. There are several mistakes made during the translation from chinese to english, such as calling a pudao, a kwandao. but its pretty minor mistakes really. the overall information is good.

GeneChing
12-09-2005, 12:39 PM
It's not bad - if memory serves, it was mostly focused around Shi Deyang's school, not so much the temple proper. There was some nice scenic footage of Songshan on that one too. Wasn't there a demonstration on the hanging bridge? For more on Shaolin Documentaries, see our thread on the Shaolin forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36328).

PangQuan
12-09-2005, 01:02 PM
i believe there was a section on the bridge, involved a child doin his form thousands feet up.

they were speaking about training martial skill and the guts at the same time.

its a keeper for sure.