PDA

View Full Version : Master Wong Wing Chun

AdrianUK
12-06-2005, 04:10 AM
Hi All

Anyone tried his Wing Chun ? I like the look of it from what I have seen from clips but I have not met anyone with experience of him or the system, can anyone comment ?

Thanks
Adrian:confused:

Nick Forrer
12-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Adrian,

By Master Wong do you mean Wong Shun Leung?

AdrianUK
12-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Nick,

No, I mean Master Wong of www.masterwong.co.uk

Thanks
Adrian

Nick Forrer
12-06-2005, 05:31 AM
Oh well in that case I think this bong speaks for itself......

If I was to guess I would say the wing chun was from Ip Chun and/or Simon Lau

He doesnt actually say who he learnt from which always makes me slightly suspect.....although thats not to say of course that he doesnt have skills.....

kj
12-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Looking at the various photos, including bong sau and fook sau, my bet is Simon Lau. If so, he would not be the first to refrain from overtly advertising the relationship.

Regards,
- kj

CFT
12-06-2005, 06:31 AM
Is that really a fook sau? :rolleyes:

AdrianUK
12-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Excuse the ignorance guys, is that a bad thing ? My only experience in wing chun was WT so I was hoping for some broader comments or someone whos trained with him. Is Simon Lau dodgy or something ? I have heard the name around but no comments on his style

Thanks
Adrian

Nick Forrer
12-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Adrian,

I make no comment on Simon Lau himself (no doubt his wing chun is very good) but Im pretty sure that what he teaches his students is not what he himself does......

I train with/teach guys who trained with him for many years. The guys I teach have almost nothing to show for their time there (4 years in some cases). What little they know they have worked out for themselves as Simon Lau either

a) doesnt teach them, or
b) teaches them contradictory things, or
c) will teach them things which dont work/make no sense

Also he creates a persona that doesnt allow students to question what he teaches...often refering to himself in the third person, as in 'your master is very powerful'

That said because there is a lot of *rough* chi sau in his school if you are big fast and powerful then you will learn to fight with what he teaches. However as we all know that is not the concept of wing chun...

Many *names* in UK wing chun have been through his school at some point and regreted it later e.g. Wai po tang, James Sinclair, Gary Mackensie etc.

Whilst I dont speak from personal experience there are about 7 guys I train with now who are bitter about the time, money and effort wasted there.

Hope that helps......

Taff
12-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I don't like the sound of this:

"We recommend viewing of the following DVD's and Videos before you start training"

Followed by 6 DVDs that they produce. :confused:

YongChun
12-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Master Wong Packs more stuff on a single DVD than anyone else. The production quality is very good.

Ray

Nick Forrer
12-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Adrian,

One other bit of trivia

I understand Simon Lau was Keith Kernspechts 1st WC instructor in the 70s.....so we come full circle.

Liddel
12-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Given the limited info and without meeting this individual for a first hand account, take this with a grain of salt....but....

By the looks of it i would say he is a jack of all trades and a master of none.

He takes a nice photo though :)

lawrenceofidaho
12-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I understand Simon Lau was Keith Kernspechts 1st WC instructor in the 70s.....so we come full circle.
LOL !! :D

I think the "Lau teaching style" you mentioned might have influenced him a bit:
a) doesnt teach them, or
b) teaches them contradictory things, or
c) will teach them things which dont work/make no sense

Don't get me wrong, KK is a scary dude. I did lat-sau with him wearing light gloves and he beat my a$$, and also had to chi-sau with him for my 2nd TG test (yes, I passed) where he had me tied up into positions I'd never been in before. -But is he a good teacher??

Well, let's just say he is not the teacher I would choose (especially for the money he charges.)

-L

Vajramusti
12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
"
I understand Simon Lau was Keith Kernspechts 1st WC instructor in the 70s"

Herr K did some work with Alan Lamb when Alan Lamb was still in the UK. They talked about teaching together but Alan Lamb was headed for the US and Kismet
went in different ways for both. Alan's UK teaching pre dates Lau.
Alan worked with Lee Sing, Joseph Cheng, a well known Hakka student of Leung Sheung- I forget the name and Koo San in HK. (PS- Paul Lam-I think)

joy chaudhuri

xingyi
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM
hey adrian,
fwiw,i have most of his wing chun dvd's and all i can say is he breaks it down like
no ones business.very good in every aspect and they arent at all that expensive
compared to alot of schools stuff,i'd definately recommend
peace

AdrianUK
12-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys

Anarchangel
12-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so don't flame me. I'm a Shotokan guy, but want to move into Gungfu as I'm getting slightly bored.

Really glad I read this thread. I was just about to start lessons at Simon Lau's academy. Is it really that bad there??? It seems like a great school!

If so, what other London Wing Chun is preferable? Kevin Chan, Austin Goh, Victor Kan?

My other choice is Shaolin Gungfu at the Shaolin Temple UK.

Any suggestions?

Mark.

Nick Forrer
12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Read the wing chun/silat thread

I make suggestions there

My recommendation would be either Micheal Louison, Desmond Spencer or Guy Coffee (@ the basement) but do look around.

Of course I prefer my teacher but hes up in St Albans (20 mins from Kings Cross).