PDA

View Full Version : 2nd VTAA 'World Conference'

Whiplash
12-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Apparently this happened on the 20th of November ... but I haven't seen any web pages with a review or summation of what went on.

Did anyone here attend? If so, can you share your experience ... or was there some kind of NDA along with the ticket price ;-)

anerlich
12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
or was there some kind of NDA along with the ticket price

LOL, that's funny.

lawrenceofidaho
12-06-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm sure LT was there, -maybe he'll post something....... :)

Nick Forrer
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
One piece of news to wet your appetite...........

There was a new 4th form that was demo-ed and discussed

This form was created by Ip Ching, son of Ip man

It has elements of all the hand forms and the dummy form in it

The idea is possibly that it become a competition wu shu form

lawrenceofidaho
12-06-2005, 04:23 PM
You can learn the new form for only $300 on the upcoming seminar tours...... :p

Nick Forrer
12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
If i didnt know better Id say you were a cynic Mr Idaho ;)

And as Oscar Wilde so rightly pointed out the cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing:eek: :D

lawrenceofidaho
12-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Awwww, c'mon Nick........ :(

Next time you're bored, look up my last 379 posts. -I give at least as much props as "dis".

-L

Finny
12-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Lawrence - http://www.cyberkwoon.com/new/viewtopic.php?t=15403&start=0

lawrenceofidaho
12-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Finny. :)

If you don't wish to take the time to read through the whole thread, the original poster who began the topic ("Elder" from the UK) summed it up this way:

"It gave me a wider picture of wing chun as a whole, and not really a good one. A lot of lineages like to put the emphasis on sport and fitness, some on health and 'chi'. The rest like only to perfect their chi sau. Very few I could identify with - those who emphasised fighting, self defence, actual.... y'know. MARTIAL."

-L

Whiplash
12-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Thanks for that :-)

Finny
12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
hehe - sorry guys, I got confused and thought Lawrence was the one who started the thread and was looking for a review. In any case you're welcome.

RedJunkRebel
01-29-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm also looking for any info or summary of what happened at the Second World Conference.

Ultimatewingchun
01-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Just what we needed: another form. :cool:

And it's a compilation of what's already in the forms and wooden dummy. :rolleyes:

For forms competition. ;)

Great! :D

.........................................:eek:

anerlich
01-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Victor,

I know what you're saying, but for my money they're probably looking ahead to the Wu Shu at the Beijing Olympics.

Lots of kudos and money to be made for successes there. The Federation of Kung fu and Wu Shu Organisations in Australia had its championships here a short time ago to select a team for the world championships, and they're definitely trying to ramp up for Beijing.

Personally, I can't see WC ever becoming acrobatic and flashy enough to stand out, without major modifications.

chisauking
01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Anerlick sez: Personally, I can't see WC ever becoming acrobatic and flashy enough to stand out, without major modifications.

There's plenty of that around already!

LOL

chisauking
01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Any nominations please forward to the Beijing Olympics committee

Whiplash
02-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Sorry to dredge up a slightly old topic, but is there any more information on what this was like? What is this new 4th form like?

I saw a writeup on www.ukwingchun.com, but it seems odd that such an event has had so little coverage considering the number of people who attended ... (?)

Thanks

Mortal1
02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
I think what they mean when they say they are making up a wushu form is something standardized. That way everyone does the same exact form and can be judged accordingly. I am fairly sure it doesn't mean flipping and jumps.

Also I feel there is no need for a fourth form. Pretty corny.

Xiao3 Meng4
02-15-2006, 07:59 PM
The fourth form isn't exactly new. The first I heard of it was from Augustine Ng in Toronto in 1999. He and Sunny Tang (Dunn Wah) had been part of a VTAA group that was in the process of developing a "competition form." The main drive behind all of this seemed to be Ip Ching and his group.

The form (in its 1999 incarnation) contained segments from all of the empty hand forms, including footwork from the Baat Jaam Do and angle from the dummy. It was being designed as a standardized form for use in WuShu competition. Even in those days, people were already talking about Wing Chun in WuShu.

The form lacked the layout of the other forms, and focused instead on Showcasing the concepts all at once rather than progressively. This makes for a prettier form, but one that is really only for show and advanced skill upkeep (which can be done without the fourth form anyway, so it really is just for competition and show.)

That's all I know.

CSP

RedJunkRebel
02-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info, CSP.

Hatsuyuki
03-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Can anyone discribe the new form in detail? pictures or vid's would be even better...