PDA

View Full Version : Really i am a genetic freak hiding in a normal persons body ....... help with weights

Wong Fei Hong
12-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Guys i need some help with my weight training, I will start soon as i only go at it a few months of the year but soon hopefull will make it all year.

Now im of normal size around 150 pounds 5 7 height normal fat cant see ab definintion but im not fat either. I cant bench much but i can squat and deadlift my weight for reps.

When i was young i used to do an enormous amount of martial arts training techniques forms and sit ups push ups etc. Without any intake of protein i mean like 10% of rda.

I dont know why this had the effect on me that it did, but the problem is when i train no matter how i train, i dont grow much at all.

UNLESS Its something like building work, if i have to carry 50 pound concrete blocks for 3 hours on end i bulk up so much.
Ive noticed whenever i had to do building work, i grew like never before i mean i would pack on pounds of muscle.

When i go to the gym and i do my workout i do
3 sets of 8-12 or
5 sets of 5 ,
2 body parts a day. Say chest and biceps, back triceps, shoulders legs. And about 3-4 exercises for each part.
I dont grow.

The only body part i have noticed where i grow extremely fast, is thighs , ala tom platz.

So when i thought of it i figured why not start marathon gym sessions, to bulk up. I know that if you compare arnie he would do marathon sessions, frank zane wouldnt focus more on the intent of weight lifting and someone like menzer would conside 4 sets of 1 lift a complete chest routine for the day.

So i guess it wouldnt be that weird for me to need to do it my own way, i dont know how to go about it though 1 body part a day, with medium weights and lots of sets or lots of reps ? In building there aint no sets or reps you just keep going .

Btw nowadays i get protein by the bucketload :D

_William_
12-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Maybe something like this might help you:
http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/it_all.htm
Or another similar routine. That way you won't have to spend all day in the gym. More functional for martial arts because of the focus on compound lifts, instead of isolating each body part.

Wong Fei Hong
12-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Thats it man !!! thanks doing as much as you can over a time period instead of counting in terms of reps and sets thats perfect !!! So its not just me being peculiar lol !!!!!
Thanks mate

I do use compound excersises most of my program is around deadlifts benches squats overhead press etc. I do very few isolations.

Trey
12-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Well i didnt click on that other link that was posted, but part of the reason you didnt gain is probably because you were lifting all wrong. You provided me with enough information, by simply saying that you do chest and biceps on the same day and back and tricep on the same day. Its only common sense (which im goin to start referring to as uncommon sense, simply because there are very few people who seem to have it these days), to know that you work the SAME muscle groups on the SAME day, which means, chest and tris, back and bis, pushing and pulling. By working them on alternate days, you are only degenerating te muscle you worked so hard the day before to build, this of course is in lamens terms. For example say you do lat pulldowns (which incorporates the biceps) one day, and then the next day you decide to do some curls, you dont give the tears you put in your muscles the day before adequate time to heal, thus degenerating the mucsle.
This really is all common sense stuff, or rather uncommon.

JamesC
12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Like was stated above, you should have at least one rest day for each body part.

I have a push day, a pull day, and a leg day. That's it. I do six sets of bench, then four sets of military press, and three sets of skull crushers and tricep extensions. All four of these exercises work my triceps.

On pull days, I do as many pull ups as I can until I reach fifty, then I do seated rows, dumbell and barbell curls. Each of these works my biceps.

On leg days, I do leg presses , squats, calf raises, and lunges.

I recommend seeing a personal trainer. They can definitely help you gain some weight. I was recommended 100g of protein per day with at least 5 bottles of water. When ingesting that much protein, it can be bad for the kidneys if your water intake is too low.

My snacks include tuna...and tuna. I get my protein through supplemental shakes.

I weigh in at 163 and 5' 11". So I suspect it would be very similar for you as well.

IronFist
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
What are your goals?

Trey
12-08-2005, 06:16 PM
if your trying to gain mass, the reccomended protein intake is approximately 2.5 grams per pound per day. So if you weigh 163, then that would be 407.8 grams of protein ( I think, my math is rusty), per day. That is what a majority of natural body builders go with when they are massing. Now if you arent lifting heavily (which you arent), then i would suggest around 1.5 grams of protein per pound per day, so at 163 thats 244.8. Thatll be enough to put some meat on your bones. But not if you arent working out right and eating right. And if you want to gain weight I suggest low reps high weight. Look up hypertrophy of the muscles and you can learn alot. I really dont feel like writing a book at this moment so ill leave the studying up to you. You could also try negatives and isometrics. I prefer negatives, but my aim is never to put on weight, i just want to be hard and strong and most importantly fast.

IronFist
12-08-2005, 11:27 PM
^ Where did you hear low reps and high weight = hypertrophy? It can be done, but it's not the best way. The rests would have to be very, very short to keep the intensity at a high enough level to promote hypertrophy. Powerlifters train with low reps and high weight and they're usually trying to build strength without adding size. Of course, they usually use very long rest periods between sets.

Trey
12-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Sorry I didnt say short rest periods, I hardly rest at all when I work out, just because I like the intensity. Again it seems like common sense thing to me. And I would have to say negatives are the best way to go.

_William_
12-09-2005, 05:00 PM
if your trying to gain mass, the reccomended protein intake is approximately 2.5 grams per pound per day. So if you weigh 163, then that would be 407.8 grams of protein ( I think, my math is rusty), per day. That is what a majority of natural body builders go with when they are massing. Now if you arent lifting heavily (which you arent), then i would suggest around 1.5 grams of protein per pound per day, so at 163 thats 244.8.

2.5 grams per pound of bodyweight? 407.8 grams of protein for a 163 pound person. That is waaaaaayy overboard. This is at best useless and at worst potentially dangerous. You can't utilize that much protein at once. After a certain point, more is not better.

Tudor Bompa recommends 2 to 3 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight during a hypertrophy phase, and 1.2-2 grams per kilogram of bodyweight during other training phases. These numbers by the way, came from his experience in training of elite athletes.

Here is an excellent article that is relevant to this discussion:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=9E5812535874B45ABE5897FFB0 E8BB55.hydra?id=844243

IronFist
12-09-2005, 08:34 PM
I'd recommend about 1g per pound of bodyweight for drug-free trainees.

Trey
12-09-2005, 09:57 PM
I dont know what a kg equals to....
But this is what ive gathered from the body builders that i know. The protein thing that is.

Wong Fei Hong
12-12-2005, 11:28 AM
a kilo = 2.2 pounds

people advocate anywhere from 1 gram of protein per kilo to 2 grams per pound

so thats anywhere between 1 gram and 4 grams per day per kilo.
or you could say 0.5 grams per pound to 2 grams per pound per day.
I believe eat as much as you can absorb and monitor yourself. Dont try and go by the book, ive seen pros who weigh 100 kilos eat about 140 grams of protein and these guys take so many steroids that there wouldnt be any protein left for him to be alive with !

Wong Fei Hong
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I had a pull day a push day and a leg day, with some weeks repeating them twice so it might be push pull leg push pull leg with abs spread out. Sometimes shoulders would be a separate day all together sometimes with push.
Depending on how much i could take and how rested i was since there were times i did nothing but train.
Trey this is what i did when i wrote chest and biceps i was just typing it out quickly.

Also i wouldnt mix biceps with chest or do a compound excersie for 2 days running, unless i skipped it the first day and split it throughout so that the compound muscle group would get to rest. So i might have done push day, only compound excercises and nothing else and then the second push day of the week biceps so it would be biceps 2 days running as i felt i needed it . Anyhow its just details what counts is to pump iron !

Thing is its not a case of not growing, its a case of i didnt grow compared to being on the building site.

IronFist
12-12-2005, 04:40 PM
You can do chest and biceps together and then back and triceps together depending on the other factors in your workout.

I've actually had better luck doing chest/biceps one day and back/triceps another day. After I finish doing bench, my triceps are too fatigued to get a good workout in, and same with pullups and biceps. The chest/triceps back/biceps thing works well for most people, however. But I'm weird so I have better luck with other things.

Wong Fei Hong
12-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Ironfist i trained like this too in the beggining, but i had a couple of days inbetween so it was.

Compound (chest) and opposite muscles (cant remember their name right now :rolleyes: )

day off

legs

day off

Other compound (back) and opposing muscles.

So i would work each 2 a week in a way.