PDA

View Full Version : storing chi from standing meditation/zhan zhuang

brucelee2
02-26-2001, 05:55 AM
I have been corresponding with an internal martial arts instructor who stated that unless a certain type of sitting meditation is done afterwards, the chi generated by standing meditation/zhan zhuang will not be retained and will be lost. I had never heard this before and am wondering if anyone else here has?

dwid
02-26-2001, 02:54 PM
My sifu taught his students to stand in a high basin stance (kneecaps no ****her forward than even with toes) after qi gong in order to store qi. He too said that you could build up qi with the other qi gong exercises, but could not retain it without doing the standing part. The standing part takes about 35 minutes. Anyway, maybe there are similarities between our standing and your sitting.

neijiachuan
02-27-2001, 01:03 AM
I practice Chen style Taijiquan and I have never heard this before.

neijiachuan

Daniel Madar
02-27-2001, 01:22 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I retain the power I get from standing. Certainly it's less than that which you have when standing, but a percentage sinks to the bones.

8stepsifu
02-27-2001, 08:24 AM
Stomach chi kung works best for me.

I agree with the last two guys, I've never heard this before and I think its b.s. You have to quick sit down of else it will sink away? If a pregnant mother raises her arms up, will it turn the babies liver over?

Let me get this strait, if you don't immediately do sitting meditation, your chi will slip out from under you?

I'm no chi kung master, but this is not even remotely my experience with chi kung.

illusionfist
02-28-2001, 11:58 AM
I've done standing for a long time and i also have never heard of this. Maybe its geared towards a certain chi gung method perhaps?

Peace :D

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-28-2001, 04:21 PM
As Long as you sink yor chi to dan tien for at least a few minutes that should be sufficent enough to store your chi so that is isnt scattered. then you should go for a walk or do something comfortable to where you can feel the chi circulation....or like painting,play music or sitting meditation.

If you decide to go get something to eat then your chi will have to stop circulation and then work to digest, or if you do heavy lifting work your chi will have to help the muscels so the chi disapates.

PlasticSquirrel
02-28-2001, 11:20 PM
thank you, Ma_Xu_Zha. i've been wondering about that for awhile, and it makes perfect sense to me now.

Qiman
03-01-2001, 01:49 AM
I was taught Standing Post by GM Lily Lau of Eagle Claw. No seated work afterward.

I do have a video program on Muscle Tendon Change that instructs to do seated Microcosmic Orbit after the standing set. This is done to bring the chi back into the organs and dan tien rather than the muscles and tendons.

Daniel Madar
03-01-2001, 02:25 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Ma. I was taught no eating for an hour before or after standing, for a variety of reasons.

Sam Wiley
03-01-2001, 06:20 AM
I've never heard of having to sit down immediately afterwards and meditate in order to keep the benefits. Sounds like BS to me.

I know there are certain ways of breathing that are said to store qi in the bones, dantien, etc, but have never heard of having to do seated meditation to keep the built up qi.

As far as I know, doing standing qigong just helps your qi flow more smoothly. To store qi, you must do a specific breathing technique or visualization with the exercise.

"To enter is to be born, to retreat is to die."
-An Old Taijiquan Saying