PDA

View Full Version : Pa Kua 'Mud' Stepping

Tingjid
12-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi, I did some research on the forum but couldn't find anything specific about Pa Kua stepping. So I figured I'd ask....

I've studied Tai Chi for a few years and I've studied Xing Yi for about two now and I sincerely enjoy both. Just recently(about 3 months now) my sifu started teaching Pa Kua, and I fell instantly in love with it. It's just so much fun, I love the stepping, the rotation, the hand movements, the application, the speed, the direction changes, I just feel like I'm flying when I run through a few sections. I'm begining to understand some of the basic ideas behind the rotation and waist control, hand movement is a bit easier, but the stepping I don't fully understand.

I see the logic and brillance of many of the rules though to be truthful I have yet to get too far into them, but I don't understand the total flat footedness (I swear that's a word) :) Anyway, I'm a Tai Chi stepper, I'm comfortable with the heal toe thing, I can maintain an ok root that way. The hole foot all at once just doesn't seem to be natural, don't get me wrong I'm still going to be training in this manner and will give it a very indepth study before I sign off on it, but I was really just wondering what you guys thought. Is it supposed to help root better? Or to help with the quicker rotations, sometimes I still get 'thrown off' when I rotate a bit too hard and can't quite control it :D but that's fun too.

Also my other question is this, what's the point of 'stepping as if you where in mud' thing? Again don't get me wrong, I've walked the circle a fair number of times (not nearly enough) and it can be a hell of a work out, but is that all it's supposed to do?

I have yet to ask my sifu indepthly, and I will, I was just curious about your thoughts. (I'm also killing time at work and wanted something else to think about)

Thanks for any thoughts...

Ray Pina
12-08-2005, 01:37 PM
You think you got it bad .... my master makes me walk the circle in a straight line:eek:

Tingjid
12-08-2005, 01:59 PM
You think you got it bad .... my master makes me walk the circle in a straight line:eek:

There is truly nothing quite as apealing as a good martial art joke that I wasn't expecting :) That made my day.

Ok, Your Master is so fat, that when he sits around the Pakua circle, he sits around the Pakua circle.

Oh, man that was a lame one :D

count
12-09-2005, 06:12 AM
Even in Tai Chi, stepping with the heel first is a kick.

In bagua, we understand the moment you step heel first, you can easily be off-balanced and uprooted. Experiment with your stepping during two man circle walking. You'll quickly find out what works and what doesn't. ;)

Circle walking develops moving root. It also develops the lou xuan jin (tornado spiraling energy) for power issues. It trains opening and closing, (kuo bu / bai bu). And it teaches you to change at any point.

Hope this stuff helps.

Tingjid
12-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Even in Tai Chi, stepping with the heel first is a kick.

First, thanks for the reply. So are you saying that in Tai Chi I should also be stepping flat footed?

Circle walking develops moving root. It also develops the lou xuan jin (tornado spiraling energy) for power issues. It trains opening and closing, (kuo bu / bai bu). And it teaches you to change at any point.

I agree with all that, and that's why I love it :D But what's the point of ripping the legs up, is that just a muscle thing? Or does it help with root training? And Man, this is making me sound like a b*tch :) I should just go try it for a few weeks and see what it does, and I fully plan on it, but I'm stuck at work all day and I'm just curious as to your opinions on the subject. And I wish the moving root thing wasn't so hard, but it wouldn't be worth doing otherwise :rolleyes:

Thanks

count
12-09-2005, 07:38 AM
First, thanks for the reply. So are you saying that in Tai Chi I should also be stepping flat footed?
No, I'm saying you should learn to understand the full purpose of the steps and apply the correct intent. One thing in common with the majority of Chinese martial arts is the use of a probing foot. You need to step carefully, as if everything could be pulled out from under you at any given time. Yet firmly grasp the ground with your toes as you transfer your weight. If you are kicking, than it's ok to show the bottom of your foot. Just try not to let your opponent see it.

I agree with all that, and that's why I love it :D But what's the point of ripping the legs up, is that just a muscle thing? Or does it help with root training? And Man, this is making me sound like a b*tch :) I should just go try it for a few weeks and see what it does, and I fully plan on it, but I'm stuck at work all day and I'm just curious as to your opinions on the subject. And I wish the moving root thing wasn't so hard, but it wouldn't be worth doing otherwise :rolleyes:

Thanks Well, yes and no. It's a muscle thing, of course, bit it teaches you to lift from your hips/waist and kua. Obviously a more powerful joint than the ankle or knee. To build your root, go lower in your stance and maintain the alignments from the head to your heel. And YES, try it for a few years, at least an hour a day, and you will feel what it does.

Welcome to bagua. Enjoy, I think you will.

Jeff