PDA

View Full Version : Defending Chain Punches

splodge
12-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi there,

I was discussing defending chain punches the other day with a class and there were many ideas and favorites being discussed. I like to step off on a 45 with a low kick but I was wondering what you guys prefer?

Splodge

Ultimatewingchun
12-10-2005, 07:38 PM
- Watch the elbows...

-Step slightly to the outside of his first punch and immediately put your other foot behind the first foot you moved (a full side step)...

-While simultaneously doing pak on the outside of his first punch - and when his second punch comes - do pak again on the outside of his second punch with your other hand but IMMEDIATELY followed by chuen sao (a biu sao that slides in underneath your pak)...and make sure that you switched your vision from his first punch elbow to his other elbow the moment you landed the first pak)...

-And then throw another biu WITH THE SECOND HAND YOU THREW IN THIS SEQUENCE into what will now be his third punch and either transform that biu into lop (or possibly lan sao)....

- All of the above done AS YOU TAKE TERRITORY...in other words, that first step you took slightly to the outside of his first punch should have also moved TOWARD him - not just to his flank.

So you are jamming him up with each successive move you make.

-If you've done all of the above well - you've now jammed him up to the point where you can begin to start hitting, pushing, pulling, whatever - because you're now in control.

Matrix
12-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I was discussing defending chain punches the other day with a class and there were many ideas and favorites being discussed. I like to step off on a 45 with a low kick but I was wondering what you guys prefer?If someone tries to chain punch you without having taken your balance, then they've made an error in judgement.

Taff
12-11-2005, 06:43 AM
If someone tries to chain punch you without having taken your balance, then they've made an error in judgement.

Or they trained in WT at the same school I once went to.

couch
12-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi there,

I was discussing defending chain punches the other day with a class and there were many ideas and favorites being discussed. I like to step off on a 45 with a low kick but I was wondering what you guys prefer?

Splodge

The chain punch is trying to attack my centre. So I place something on my own centreline. Two things can't occupy the same space. ;)

Matrix
12-11-2005, 10:45 AM
The chain punch is trying to attack my centre. So I place something on my own centreline. Two things can't occupy the same space. ;)Just a "minor" point. There is no "my centerline", only "the centerline". ;)

wei wu wei
12-11-2005, 11:31 AM
your opponent can do one of two things with his punch, he can:-
(a)connect or;
(b) fail to connect.

a failure to connect a punch is wasted movement. strategically, one should be dead against sending out aimless punches in a chained fashion unless there is a high probability of success, if not absolute conviction that they will all land!

in the alternative, one should not punch several times in a linked fashion in the (false) hope that they may, or may not land. to do so, would be contrary to the doctrine of efficiency.

so what your opponent does dictates how your body responds. if my opponent chain punches me, he has either connected or failed to connect. if he fails, and my body wants to cause him harm, it will close and strike.

if however, he connects, then i have failed myself and must take stock of my weaknesses (at a later stage). however, immediately i must do what is necessary to minimize harm to myself and maximize the potentiality to escape alive.

Matrix
12-11-2005, 03:23 PM
so what your opponent does dictates how your body responds. if my opponent chain punches me, he has either connected or failed to connect. if he fails, and my body wants to cause him harm, it will close and strike.
WWW, Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "connect"?
I know that I would be looking for contact to create the bridge. Maybe you can elaborate a little on this aspect of the exchange..

wei wu wei
12-11-2005, 04:23 PM
connecting is one aspect of the successful manifestation of intent.

if he is chain punching, generally speaking his intention would be to cause harm.

if the intention is to bridge, then the manifestation will be the touch.

stricker
12-11-2005, 05:39 PM
big left hook :D

Matrix
12-11-2005, 06:55 PM
connecting is one aspect of the successful manifestation of intent.

if he is chain punching, generally speaking his intention would be to cause harm. WWW,
I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry.
What I'm trying to get at, it that the punch can "connect" and yet still not disrupt your balance, even temporarily. When someone chain punches (I tend not to, myself) you need to already have taken clear control of the opponent. You need to be moving the opponent and replacing those punches very cleanly in order to maintain control of your offence.

So, I'm less concerned if they connect poorly since I can use that contact to my advantage. Maybe that's just too obvious, but that's what I was getting at.

Thanks for the response.
I'm really enjoying the dialogue in this thread. :D

Matrix
12-11-2005, 06:57 PM
With an emphasis on BIG. :cool:

lawrenceofidaho
12-12-2005, 12:01 AM
"Dempsey roll" / Left Hook = KTFO TCMA guy

(but not if the TCMA guy has cross-trained or sparred against good boxers & kickboxers)

couch
12-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Just a "minor" point. There is no "my centerline", only "the centerline". ;)

No, no. I OWN the centreline. It's mine. Laf.

Cheers.

Matrix
12-12-2005, 06:37 PM
No, no. I OWN the centreline. It's mine. Laf.
I stand corrected. :D