PDA

View Full Version : The Tai Chi-trained Aikido Uke

chyisan
02-26-2001, 08:09 AM
Has any one of you Tai Chi players here ever met an Aikido guy? How did it turn out? Were you able to neutralize or even reverse their Aikido techniques? How?

Mindlessness is the enemy...

Kumkuat
02-27-2001, 10:08 AM
I did. But I was just taking an Aikido class. So I didn:t really try to do anything when they were showing me the moves. When I think about it, I think I could have neutrialized some of their stuff, but since I never did, I:ll never know.

HuangKaiVun
02-27-2001, 04:05 PM
I have yet to run into an Aikido technique that Taijiquan didn't already teach me how to do - or counter.

It's been a while since I've touched hands against an Aikido guy, but constant sparring and Push Hands have given me an unshakeable confidence in what I can and can't do.

For me, it's not what the opponent is doing, it's what I'm doing.

chyisan
02-27-2001, 07:26 PM
Can you give examples?

Mindlessness is the enemy...

HuangKaiVun
02-27-2001, 08:23 PM
One of the moves that the aikido guys love to do to me is that one-handed wrist joint lock.

They grab the dorsum of my left hand with their right hand and turn my wrist upward, forcing me to walk on my tiptoes.

To counter this move, I'll step into the joint lock and ride my elbow over their attacking arm, thus neutralizing the joint lock (Sun Style "Wave Hands Like Clouds") This is the move that I most often use in a nonsparring situation.

Or I'll just hit them with the other hand (Grasp Sparrow's Tail).

Boulder Student
02-27-2001, 08:49 PM
You can actually major in Tai Chi and Aikido in the Eastern Studies Department. I'll have toi ask one of the students their experiences with the two arts. They all have four years of training by the time they get their degrees.

One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.