PDA

View Full Version : Plyometrics thoughts

bodhitree
12-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey all. I just realized today that i have not been giving my ploys due attention. How often do you guys do your plyo workouts? Do you spit your plyo days upper body/ lower body? Can things like skipping rope be considered plyometric exercise? Any thoughts welcomed.

Chief Fox
12-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I've been doing plyo drills twice a week.

Here's what I've been doing.

Square drill: Put tape on the ground. Just little X's at the corners of a square, making a 2' by 2' square.

Stand with both feet on 1 X then jump as fast as you can with both feet to the other X's moving around the square clockwise. Do this for 30 seconds.

Then do the same drill moving in a counter clockwise direction. Do this for 30 seconds.

Start out with the clockwise drill but at random points in the drill have a friend yell "switch". At this point change direction as quickly as possible. 30 seconds.

Do this drill one more time with the person yelling "switch" several times. 30 seconds.

X drill: Same 2' by 2' square but now put a little X in the center making an X.

Start with feet spread apart at the bottom of the X. Jump both feet the the center X and then out to the top X's. Then move back. 30 seconds.

Do 4 sets of this with the person yelling "switch" in the last two sets.

Box jumps: 20 inch box. sets of 25 jumps.

Broad jumps: Feet together, squat down, using your full body jump as far forward as possible. 4 sets of 5 jumps.

_William_
12-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Something I am going to do is alternate 3 week cycles of Maximum Strength(MxS) and explosiveness work. This was recommended by Tudor Bompa in "Periodization training For Sports"(EXCELLENT book btw) as a possible periodization option for strength/power athletes.

I'm doing this because I tend to get much better results focusing on one thing at a time. The last 2 weeks in the gym, I have been focusing solely on maximum strength through the parameters outlined in the book, and I have been hitting big PRs.

There are other ways, of course.

Ford Prefect
12-13-2005, 06:39 AM
Plyometrics are very high intensity, so depending on your daily activity levels, restoration techniques, and current weight training/fitness regimen, you may be beating a dead horse by doing them or worse... becoming as physically fit as a dead horse.

chrisb
12-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Could someone elaborate a bit more on this ^^^ reply please?

FooFighter
12-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Plyometrics are very high intensity, so depending on your daily activity levels, restoration techniques, and current weight training/fitness regimen, you may be beating a dead horse by doing them or worse... becoming as physically fit as a dead horse.

Ford, you are on point and I agree. First plyometric may not feel like high intensity but it is because it overload your CNS (central nervous system). It is specific strength training to help your neuromuscular system react quickly from eccentric loading. If your joints or tendons cannot lift two or three times your body weight (squats, chins, bench), then you are not truly ready to go really deep in speed strength. Moreover it is not muscular based strength with its usually signs of rate of discomfort to allow people to know when to stop. Generally people tend to over train and "beat a dead horse by doing them or worse." In opinion, many people should not do plyometric unless they understand it and know if it fits into their general health, fitness goals, and specific sport/activity needs.

Most people have no real understanding of the science of plyometrics. How many have learned speed strength (plyometric) from a coach who understands also how to teach restorative techniques and cycle it into an individualize strength conditioning program? Studying a book by Robert Chu, etc does not mean you know or ready for speed strength. Some personal trainers do speed strength with over weight and deconditioned clients which is totally retarded to me in my opnion. Some just do it because it is just dang fun and they have no specific need. LOL. I do not do any specific speed strength training because I have no need of it and I do not have the GPP for it yet. All my speed strength comes from playing martial arts which is just enough for me. All in all, applying plyometric should be a logical progression and should be taken carefully with common sense and good coaching.

whitefox
12-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Could someone elaborate a bit more on this ^^^ reply please?

Plyometrics can be hard on the body. I was told to do them 2 times a week and IMHO 2 times a week is a good point to be at. I have done them more than 2 times a week before and felt sore and my training suffered for it.

_William_
12-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Plyometrics can be very high intensity. However it is very possible and indeed optimal to tailor them to your current level of conditioning.

Example of how plyometric intensity can be graduated:

Upperbody(listing from low to high)

Med ball tosses
Plyo pushups off a wall

Fast pushups
Pushups exploding off the ground
Drop pushups
Clapping pushups
Plyo pushups falling to a chair and exploding up
Depth pushups

bodhitree
12-22-2005, 08:26 AM
"If your joints or tendons cannot lift two or three times your body weight (squats, chins, bench), then you are not truly ready to go really " foofighter

Is this a rule for upper body, lower body, or both? I can do it with my lower body for sure, but I cant lift double or triple my weight with my upper body.

FooFighter
12-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Bodhi,

Yes, it is a general rule as I have heard from coaches and studying many books on this subject. If speed strength is a neuromuscular training than powerlifting or "Power to the People" method would make clear sense as a primer for plyometric. PTP also train the neuromuscular system to be strong and powerful. In addition, you want your joints and tendons to be as strong as possible inorder to get really serious and be safe about it. Doing plyometric without proper foundation is a sure way to cheat yourself and hurt yourself in my opinion.

PS: Why do you want plyometric strength? Do you practice any form of dynamtic martial arts? There are many speed specific drills and exercise found in most martial arts styles and just doing them alone is a good enough. If you want to specific get better at it of course you have to progressively know how to train to get there. Just a mental note, I have realized that plyometric strength/ power endurance is the corner of wing chun gung fu. Sifu Allan Lee and Sibak Duncan Leung has great explosive power behind their movement without the muscle size of a bodybuilder. This is the same for those who can lift two to three times their weight who are skinny. Allan Lee's son Jones Lee is a great example of plyometric strength when he plays wing chun at the school. In anycase, be well and happy holidays.

bodhitree
12-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I just want to increase my explosive power. Any advantage over a foe is good....

FooFighter
12-28-2005, 08:45 PM
More power to you, Bodhi.

Ford Prefect
12-29-2005, 07:03 AM
I guess the main question is what are your exact goals and what exercises have you selected to meet those goals.

Also do you squat maximally regularly? Bench maximally regularly? Practice olympic lift variations?

JaguarWarrior
12-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Which plyometric exercizes would be most useful to a martial artist?

Clapping pushups for punching power etc.

I think I get enough leg exercize from my forms though, it's a lot of low stances and springing into the next move etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercizes they've found useful, and safe ways to transition into them?