PDA

View Full Version : Flexability

bodhitree
12-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I have noticed if I do a good warmup and static stetching after lifting that my flexability impoves greatly. When I used to go to a TMA school that did a lot of static stuff prior to workout, i felt much more tight and think everyone else there was to. What ways have you guys had gains in your flexability while also gaining strength? ANy thoughts welcomed.

viper
12-12-2005, 05:38 PM
http://stretching.info/ go there and look at freebie articles theres alot and there very good. This should tell you most of the things you need to know.

_William_
12-12-2005, 06:40 PM
My groin flexibility improved quite a bit from doing full squats. Initially, I couldn't even sit on the floor cross-legged.

Also, I like doing dynamic stretches such as leg swings to increase dynamic range of motion, these work really well especially if you are warmed up, ie. at the end of a workout. In my experience you get much better results stretching after a workout than before. Static stretching helps too. I stretch out my hams, glutes, quads, hip flexors.

Ford Prefect
12-13-2005, 06:43 AM
I do a lot of dynamic stuff after a brief cardio and static stretching warm-up. Mostly the dynamic stretches are done with an empty bar. Static stretching follows all my workouts as well.

bodhitree
12-13-2005, 07:36 AM
I am a pretty flexable guy, however I feel I have never really made it past this platueau I have been at recently, which is about the same as I was a few years ago. Is there any supplements/ dietary recomendations for giving flexability that extra kick to go the extra distance. Good replies guys.

Ford Prefect
12-13-2005, 08:47 AM
There are different tricks that you can use that fool your body for going deeper into stretches. Shutdown threshhold isomentrics, pnf, flex-relax, etc. I like the STI personally although it is rather intense and must be treated like weight training as far as frequency and volume goes.

Chief Fox
12-13-2005, 08:58 AM
My groin flexibility improved quite a bit from doing full squats. Initially, I couldn't even sit on the floor cross-legged.

Also, I like doing dynamic stretches such as leg swings to increase dynamic range of motion, these work really well especially if you are warmed up, ie. at the end of a workout. In my experience you get much better results stretching after a workout than before. Static stretching helps too. I stretch out my hams, glutes, quads, hip flexors.
I do this exact same thing.

I've also read Pavels book "Relax into Stretch". He's got some interesting ideas on stretching.

One method is the relax method. Get into your stretch. Breath deeply and relax. It may take a while. Once you're relaxed, increase the stretch. Repeat.

Another method is the flex method. Not sure what the real name is. Anyway, get into your stretch. Once you've gone as far as you can go with the above relax method, flex every muscle in your body for a brief but intense time like 7 to 10 seconds. Powerfully exhale, relax all of your muscles and increase the stretch.

Pavel says that increasing flexibility is hard work and is sometimes painful. He also says that our muscles are already as flexible as we need them to be but our nervous system doesn't know it. Tight muscles is a reflex action of the nervous system to defend against injury.

Interesting stuff. But pricey. It's available for download on some P2P networks for free.

Ford Prefect
12-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Having all Pavel's flexability books (including out of print ones), I'd say if you were to get one book, get Kurtz's "Scientific Stretching". Much more bang for the buck.

Oso
12-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Master Shi Zheng Zhong has a great warm up/stretching group of exercises that is passed down to us. Hopefully as Pong Lai USA grows this program will be something that ends up on a tape for sale. Master Shi made a couple of commercial tapes in the 80's and some of the stretching is demonstrated on them.

We start every class with it and every seminar I've been to. Master Shi is almost 60 and can still touch his forehead to his toe.

It's a mix of dynamic and static stretching and there are a few postures that are identifiable (i think) as yogic in origin. Before I started doing this regularly I couldn't throw a front kick higher than maybe my chin. Now, cold, I can throw one well over my head and the other foot is still flat on the floor.

I'm not sure that there is anyone thing about the warm up that stands out but the way it is put together is what makes it effective. And of course, regularly doing it helps...