PDA

View Full Version : Your Private Chinese Tutor in Martial Arts Schools

Brianna
12-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Dear friend,

My name is Brianna and I am a third year college student from Guangdong, China.

I wish to train in a Martial Arts School for a month on the upcoming holiday in northern China. If you are planning to go to such school too, I’d like to be your translator and provide you Chinese language private lessons on condition that you cover my training expenses which include accommodations.

I don’t have any experience in teaching but I am a very patient, caring individual who realizes the struggles of a second language learner. My courses are specially designed to meet your personal needs and the teaching time is very flexible.

If you want to communicate with me with questions, suggestions or anything I can help you with on your journey to learn Chinese, my email is Brianna_Chou@hotmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Brianna:)

GeneChing
12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
See our previous thread here about a multiple post (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39509). And that one was about someone trying to give props to some friends, not a self promotion.

FYI, the guys here will probably want to see a pic of you next.

Pk_StyLeZ
12-12-2005, 06:29 PM
See our previous thread here about a multiple post (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39509). And that one was about someone trying to give props to some friends, not a self promotion.

FYI, the guys here will probably want to see a pic of you next.

i think gene is the one that wants to see the picture of you. =)
=p =p

MasterKiller
12-13-2005, 07:19 AM
We can't be sure you aren't some crazed people-eating psycho who uses message boards to lure unsuspecting victims to China so you can flay them into bacon strips until we see multiple pics of you.

In your underwear.

Just to clear the air.

So to speak.

Golden Tiger
12-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Air to China: $1500

Training expenses for hot translator: $2000

Waking up in a tub filled with ice, missing a kidney: Priceless

Infrazael
12-13-2005, 09:22 AM
We'll definitely need pics dear.

Shaolinlueb
12-13-2005, 09:26 AM
We'll definitely need pics dear.

In your underwear.

Just to clear the air.

So to speak.

:eek: :D

im just quoting

GeneChing
12-13-2005, 10:47 AM
That's just a little example of what we call 'forum fu' around here. You leaped before you looked and that was pretty easy to turn around on you, as you can see. No worries, it happens to a lot of newbies, and even the occasional veteran.

Now the cyberball is in your court. You can choose to ignore all of this - just walk away - but that would be most un-martial. You can respond, but now everyone's gonna wanna see your pic. As a woman in the martial arts, you're probably accustomed to this sort of macho-frat behavior. It's amplified here tenfold. If you're going to thrive here, you should figure out the counter.

There is an easy out. A very easy out. Can you find it? Do you have forum fu?

GeneChing
12-13-2005, 05:18 PM
The main forum thread got locked (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39552). I doubt a moderator did it, since it wasn't getting nasty in the least. That leaves the initial poster, Brianna. Is that the Guandong colleg forum fu? Shut down and run? We were hoping for a little better.

Shaolinlueb
12-14-2005, 08:58 AM
i wonder how her martial arts talent is?

its funny gene. im a firm believer in when in rome do as romans do. and i hate it when people come to usa and dont bother learning english. but when i went to china, and tried speaking chinese. i gave up on 2nd day adn was telling people they should learn english.... :p

ZhuiQuan
12-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Don't the majority of martial arts schools in China offer some sort of Chinese language help? I mean, the schools have lots of foreigners do they not?

GeneChing
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Most schools in China have very few foreigners that stay for more than a week or so. You get travelling tour groups coming through, but the long term serious non-Chinese student in a Chinese martial arts school is fairly rare, unless the school is of some significant reputation, such as a few of the schools around Shaolin and Beijing. Many schools say that they offer English language in their brochures. Many travelers are disappointed to learn that the 'English language' already left the school, or that it's just one of the students who has barely made it through the first Chinese-to-English textbook.

Here's a weird fact: according to Ted C. Fishman’s China Inc., there are more Chinese who have studied English, than there are English speakers in America. Now I beleive that fact, but I also know that there are so many more people in China that it's inconsequential, and many of those who have studied, can't use it to communicate the simplest of concepts. Still, like many of the facts in Fishman's book, it gives you pause.

Anyway, Brianna, are you still out there? You might actually find a taker on your offer, but you're going to have to see it through, and this would be the place.