PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on my Wing Chun

couch
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Background in this order:
Kenpo Karate-8 Yrs, Karate-ized Wing Chun-1.5 Yrs, Moy Yat family Wing Chun-1.5 Yrs. Sparred in this time for maybe 6 months when training in Kenpo Karate over 3-4 years ago...no previous experience in this field.

This passed Sunday, I had the opportunity to do some light freestyle sparring with a 8-yr hapkido practicioner with some ground game and a 8-yr BJJ guy with little stand-up game.

First, I gotta say, I didn't know what to expect - but I had loads of fun and learned a lot. My sparring skills are nil and we kept everything very light and friendly. All we were looking for was to help each other learn about what we do.

I haven't been in WC long enough to talk a lot of smack :), but I will say that my stand-up game was great for my level. Anytime someone was in kicking range, closing the gap to attack or just using the parable "hand against hand, foot against foot..." worked very well. What didn't work well for me was getting passed the persons guard with simple movements that work in the Chi Sau. With the resisting opponent, a Lop Sau doesn't always work like clockwork. A Jut, etc, etc, etc didn't work for me because my opponent wasn't on Wing Chun timing...he had his own. Totally an eye opener to get popped lightly knowing that you executed something wrong. Great experience.

One other thing that was totally awesome to see was a BJJ guy who was GOOD at it. I dominated on the stand-up game, but I never expected him to shoot so fast and so hard. I was down on the ground and stuggling to gain position to no avail. I really thought that a punch to the head, elbow to the spine or knee to the head would be no problem...if I coulda caught the little bugger!!!

We went round robin with each other so that we could each work out with each other's "style." A few times with the 8-yr veteran of BJJ and you learn how to sprawl FAST. It was the only thing that worked for my non-existant knowledge and I timed it correctly (once!).

The things I learned in the short 1.5-2 hour session about ground fighting is what I believe the same in WC (and possibly many other martial arts):
1. stay relaxed...just cause you're out of your element doesn't mean it's time get your stress, tension and muscle together to get you out of this jam...stay relaxed like in the Chi Sau
2. look for position..we generally like the centre...leg locks, arm bars...I'm not on the centreline...I was taught to move my arms, head, feet to gain position to get the centre back
3. don't over-extend your arms and legs and leave your opponent shadows (don't leave that reverse punch lingering in the air for your opponent to trap)

I learned a lot from the short session. As I said before...I know little to none about sparring (which isn't fighting - I believe this) and know NOTHING about ground fighting. I've heard too many people talk smack about this technique for this attack...it's all flawed when you've got someone who wants to take you OUT of your element into theirs. Even though the sparring was light and easy...there are still no shadows left in the air like some of us are taught to deal with.

It was a real eye opener and I was invited back anytime and will be taking them up on the offer. They are all classmates in the previous year of my College.

I want to thank anyone online who talked about mixing it up and even my Sifu has said: don't believe everything I tell you...go test it out.

I's also appreciate anyone's comments.

All the best,
Kenton Sefcik

PS - EDIT - I also learned that my cardio that is within my WC school is lacking and I need to pick up the slack at home. I had my mouthguard in...and it was hard to breathe rolling on the ground...especially when your opponent pulls your head into his chest and then you can't breathe at all!

Ernie
12-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I haven't been in WC long enough to talk a lot of smack , but I will say that my stand-up game was great for my level. Anytime someone was in kicking range, closing the gap to attack or just using the parable "hand against hand, foot against foot..." worked very well. What didn't work well for me was getting passed the persons guard with simple movements that work in the Chi Sau. With the resisting opponent, a Lop Sau doesn't always work like clockwork. A Jut, etc, etc, etc didn't work for me because my opponent wasn't on Wing Chun timing...he had his own. Totally an eye opener to get popped lightly knowing that you executed something wrong. Great experience.

Kenton !!!
the rigid rod of reality is a b*tch isn't it :D

welcome to the dark side :cool:

much respect playa