PDA

View Full Version : Spokane Washington

Three Harmonies
12-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Anyone know what the job market/economy/cost of living situation is in Spokane Washington?
What is the martial scene like?
Thanks
Jake :D

Oso
12-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi Jake,

I had looked at moving that direction in the late 90's. Looked at Missoula MT and Spokane. Missoula would not support a martial arts school, IMO.

Spokane was definitely more viable but I never visited there to see for myself.

I think they town is over 200k so depending on the saturation of school it shouldn't be too bad. oh...If I remember right General Cho's Kenpo has a ton of franchises in the PNW area. There were a half dozen or so in Montana alone.

Why Spokane?

Wasn't there a news event recently about some dude in a mall w/ a gun?
Oh, it is a different world up there. When I was in Montana I was told twice not to visit a particular area I wanted to check out unless I was well armed and even then to not camp overnight. Lot's of Militia types who don't care for outsiders at all.

Matt

Three Harmonies
12-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Oso
I have heard that parts of Missoula area, as well as northern Idaho has a lot of white sepratists and what not. Sandpoint or creek or something like that in Idaho is supposedly where all the "inner" circle of LA cops retire. I guess if you are tan skinned, better to move to Seattle eh? Thats okay, I can shoot pretty **** straight! ;) Never heard about it in Washington though.
I have a student who may be moving there so I am checking stuff out for him. Not so much about supporting a kung fu school, but just wondering if any decent teachers are up that way! But if Chows kung fu school of death is there......what more does anyone need????????
Do you know anything about the job market?
Thanks
Jake :D

Oso
12-14-2005, 01:02 PM
oh...for a student...good, I don't know as I'd visit you all the way up there.

I didn't spend much time looking in the Spokane area as I settled on Missoula to do most of my research.

http://www.spokanechamber.org/spokanechamber/sub.aspx?id=521

woliveri
12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
When I was in Montana I was told twice not to visit a particular area I wanted to check out unless I was well armed and even then to not camp overnight. Lot's of Militia types who don't care for outsiders at all.

So what do they do if they come across you? Kill you?

mooyingmantis
12-14-2005, 03:30 PM

LOL!!! We "militia" types are really nothing to be afraid of.

Oso
12-16-2005, 08:47 AM

There's an area in the NW corner of Montana w/ a small town called Yaak.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&cat=&address=&city=Yaak&state=MT&zipcode=

as you can see it's pretty far out there. I heard about the place through a book I read and there are still some large tracts of roadless areas and some old growth larches that are supposed to be magnificant to see.

As I was talking to people in MT (I was there for 9 days) they were asking me where i was going to visit and such. I had planned on camping near Yaak in a state campground. I had two separate people warn me that it might not be a good idea to be there at night with just me and my girlfriend. I told the second guy that both of us were armed and he said that didn't really matter as it would be a group of poeple 'checking us out'.

I don't know exactly what would have happened nor did I get a really good explanation on 'who' those 'people' would be.

I did decide that discretion was the better part of valor.