PDA

View Full Version : Su Yu Chang's Tape on Seven Star Mantis

taichi4eva
12-14-2005, 10:30 AM
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/kungfu/VD_sumantis7star.htm

The video features the forms bengbuquan, lipiquan, xiaohuyenquan, and tongtiquan. Are these these the forms that truly make up the Seven Star Mantis curriculum in Taiwan?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. By the way, what does "tongti" mean?

ChaoticMantis
12-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Tongtiquan sounds like the ground fighting form. The 7 Star Lipiquan is the same form that 8 Step has. Su Yu Chang also studied 8 Step Preying Mantis for many years from the late GrandMaster Wei Hsiao Tang. :)

taichi4eva
12-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Does "tong" mean "through"? like tongbeiquan...

I don't think seven star has a lipiquan form. It seems like Su Yu Chang's Seven Star is made up of elements from other styles

Lipiquan- 8 Step
Bengbu- essential Praying Mantis form, found in Qixing, Meihua, Taiji
Xiaohuyuen- Long Fist Mantis?
Tongtiquan-?

ChaoticMantis
12-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Tong mean earth and Ti mean ground. I am not sure which mantis styles Xiaohuyuen and Tongtiquan are from. Maybe others can provide more of an insight on the forms that Su Yu Chang teaches.

Master James Sun (Su's 8 Step kung fu brother) speaks highly of master Su Yu Chang.

:)

Three Harmonies
12-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Su has learned many different styles of Mantis, and kind of put his own twist on things. Lipi is a Babu form. ANd the rest he calls QI XIng, would more appropriatley be called Meihua IMO. I am not sure if any "true" mainland Qi Xing ever made it to Taiwan, but Kevin Brazier or Steve Cottrell or Robert Hui would be better to ask since they are the historians here. I am but a lowly practitioner slowly walking the path.
Jake :)

Paul T England
12-16-2005, 07:30 AM
any opiinions on his lohan gung tapes? A bit different to the low kwang yu version!

Paul

Sifu Darkfist
12-24-2005, 11:29 PM
It is said that Lightning fist is the first to compile all five sub styles into one house.
I will say that there are few on this planet alive that have ventured as far in Tang Lang. If you are looking for the praying mantis his is the Mantis King. He lives breathes eats and exudes the styles. All you have to do is see one form performed by this Master and you will concur.

This is not to say that all the masters ofTtang Lang mentioned here are not in the same league, the fact is gentlemen, (baring some of the grandmasters that have passed) we are blessed with some of the best teachers in mantis history.

Evolution is real, and it shows in the evolution of the Tang Lang system from our Masters that are walking the earth now.

This in no way subverts the greats that rest and have past, however it is to draw attention to those that are here and are great wells of information and flavor.

I have several of my grandmaster’s (Su Yu Chang through Master Yang) tapes and the tapes of several other masters, his are well worth the money spent and show unprecedented insight as well as execution from a man that has dedicated his entire life to Tang Lang.
:)