PDA

View Full Version : When to hit

monkeyspoon
12-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I know this question is one that probably has plagued us all before, but i have to ask...

for you to understand this situation i need to explain in detail so my apologies for the verbosity.

Last Saturday I was walking home with a friend once the night club had shut. I was aware of 3 younger guys following us, stupidly we turned down into a lane as a shortcut home, something we usually do. Once in the lane the 3 guys confronted us, with absolutely no reason whatsoever, they were trying to pick a fight.

The main guy (the initiator) came right up close to me. At this point I was concentrating on keeping all three in front of me, so it was necessary for me to back off a little. The guy stepped in closer still. I had my arms up in mun-sau / wu-sau but with the hands in such a way that looked less kung fu and more "calm down".

He stepped in so close that he walked into my hands, which he then started trying to hit out of the way, to my amazement i could read these movements so well that my arms weren't there to hit by the time his hand reached them and also to my amazement i placed my hands on his face, just the same amount of contact i use in chi sau, at one point i had one hand behind his neck, aware i could easily lap and elbow/punch.

My response to his goading was to just repeat the same thing over i.e "calm down", "not going to fight", "we're going home" etc. i still wasnt sure if he was going to attempt to hit me or not, so i was just in a constant state of readiness to hit.

It became more serious when the initiator picked up a fluorescent tube light that was broken, it was very sharp. Without thinking i stepped up to him and held one hand lightly on his elbow at his side, so i could feel him move it, i also didnt want to give him room to swing, the close proximity felt more comfortable.

At this point, one of the three realised how stupid the whole thing had got and tried to calm his mate down. Me and my mate started walking off, they still followed, shouting abuse, but i just kept shouting back "goodnight lads".

Ok, phew, my question really is how do you judge when to hit someone or when to wait to see how it pans out? I was constantly prepared to strike, my brain working on overdrive to pick up on all the clues. After the situation, im always left with a feeling of "i wish i smacked the f*%!"*& w*!£*"s!!!!" but also relieved nothing violent happened. Are there signs and pointers to watch out for in situations like this? or is it best left to your own judgement at the time? So far i've walked away from every potential fight situation without one punch being thrown (touch wood), something im glad of, and i know a lot of people in my situation would have used violence, im wondering how to work out the best time for each.

aaaaaaaaaaand relax

Vajramusti
12-14-2005, 05:36 PM
You controlled the situation amd your "self" is unharmed!!
Good enough results for that occasion.

joy chaudhuri

anerlich
12-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Sounds to me like you handled this very well indeed.

kj
12-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Sounds to me like you handled this very well indeed.

I couldn't agree more.

Monkeyspoon, based on your account, you should probably be the one offering the rest of us advice on when to hit and when not to. ;)

Regards,
- kj

canglong
12-15-2005, 01:47 AM
originally posted by monkeyspoon
Without thinking i stepped up to him and held one hand lightly on his elbow at his side, so i could feel him move it, i also didnt want to give him room to swing, the close proximity felt more comfortable.
monkeyspoon,
Excellent post, and from the sounds of it you have answered your own question you had assessed the situation thoroughly positioned yourself accordingly, applied the necessary force and were ready to strike to prevent injury to yourself.

Well done

monkeyfoot
12-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Great stuff.

I have always tried to take the same approach. Well done for staying calm, adrenelin is my worst fear. I would say you handled it fine. In the end, every incident is completely different, it would be impossible to say when you should strike......

well done though.....really

craig

Bob8
12-15-2005, 04:18 AM
you handled it well.

The best advice I can give is to trust your instincts.
And to read Sanford and Geoff Thompson their books
to give some insights into your main question:
"Are there signs and pointers to watch out for in
situations like this?"

stuartm
12-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi Monkey spoon,

Hows your training going, and how did the HK trip go??

Sounds like you handled the situation well, i think i probably would have gone ballistic when the guy picked up the tube:eek:

Stu

monkeyspoon
12-15-2005, 06:43 PM
thanks for the support everyone...

just saw this same guy out again tonight, this time there was more of us, he didn't come up and say hello, pity that...ah well

stuart, hong kong was more of an eye opener that i had anticipated, that and the following 11 or so months have been quite productive. i hope you and your students are well, merry christmas

kravi
12-15-2005, 09:10 PM
im surprised by the result of your actions - you handled the situation exceptionally well, but i personally believe if it had been me, i would not have taken any more chances.

It's very easy for me to sit here and judge in retrospect, and seeings i have never been in a fight myself, it's even EASIER :) ...

i would say if it was me, i probably would have taken matters into my own hands once my guard was up. I think what you did was fantastic, but if the people were REALLY wanting a fight then you might not have been so lucky.

From what you've said, you sound like you were very calm and not 'high adrenaline' and getting all 'tunnel visioned'... you probably could have taught them all a very practical lesson :)

The mentality at my school, it seems, is to not waste any time - i would think that if i were on the street and had my guard up against a would-be attacker, and he was trying to hit it out of the way - i would say that would be my personal 'cue' to end the situation as quickly and effectively as possible.

that said.. thumbs up to your really mature, ego-less response :)

yon.