PDA

View Full Version : Symbolism in your style

SPJ
12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
This is inspired by the other thread.

There is a lot of symbolism in CMA. The name, posture, theory and ideas even tactics and strategy. Some called it the culture, world view or life philosophy and what not.

Do you pay attention to these? Or they are not important?

So I assume Xu Bu and open my arms upward and downward from my centerline, it is called white crane spread wings.

Does the name mean anything at all?

There are generic names and stylish names. The generic name would be Xu Bu Kai Bei or Fun Zhang.

:D

EarthDragon
12-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I am a tradionalist in every sence. So yes i love the names and try to understand the orign, the culture, religion and language of the chinese.

many of the names of techniques in our system have literal meanings as the founders of many styles such as ours were unable to write and read. thus mantis catches cicada is the only was to decribe lang gou. to name them demostrate without writing down to pass on for the last 350 years.

joedoe
12-19-2005, 08:40 PM
I think it is essential to understand the roots of the symbolism in the arts, because it gets you closer to understanding the essence of the art. I think it is just as important as explaining things to students in plain English :).