PDA

View Full Version : Any Students Of Brendan Lai-sifu??

TenTigers
12-19-2005, 09:46 AM
On another post, we were discussing the use of the voice in Kung-Fu, and I had mentioned that I had seen the video of Brendan Lai, Adam Hsu, Chan Pui, and Doc Fai-Wong. In this tape, Brendan Lai is showing applications, and his "yells" were very similar to those Bruce Lee did as Kato.
Has anyone who has trained with Lai-Sifu seen him do this? Is it taught in his school? Could you go into detail about the vocalizations?.
....or was it just for the video?:(

-N-
12-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Yep, that's what he did in class as well. Not much in the way of details. Pretty much as you saw.

mantisrider
12-20-2005, 12:48 PM
N -- when and where have you trained under the late Sigung Lai?

Ten Tigers -- many years ago I had attended a few of Lai Sigung's seminars and were never taught to "yell" or "scream" while executing any Sahn Sao techniques.

Sincerely,

Maziar Massachi
northernmantis.com
geocities.com/mantisrider

-N-
12-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Maziar,

I was a student of Sifu Lai in SF continuously from 1985 until he passed away. Your teacher knows me.

N.

yu shan
12-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Excuse me I do not mean to hijack this topic. Master Chan Pui makes a lot of noice during his forms, very tastefully though. No screams or yells. My Da-Shifu now, Master Shr Zhengzhong also makes many differant sounds in his training. When I performed Bengbu form at the MQ gathering, I used some vocalizing. I heard out of a few there that they do not make any sound. What is your take on this, I am just curious. Master Shr has 50 years experience and with many Shifu`s, it appears some lines have this vocalizing.

-N-
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Yu Shan,

Ran across a thread by chance, yesterday. Posted some info here:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39412

N.

Oso
12-21-2005, 10:31 AM
my first teacher's (hung gar) lesson is what I've kept over the years. It seems to concur with what -N- is saying on the other thread.

you will have sharp exhalations of breath at times as you execute technique.

sometimes you may make a sound naturally but should never focus on making a sound because then you are focusing on the sound and not what you're doing.

I have heard of some internal stylists who are supposed to make specifically pitched sounds with some movements. i've heard this is to open up meridians??????

one experience i did have was being in the presence of some of those big crystal bowls that someone takes a wooden dowel and runs it around the lip and the bowls start singing. different sized bowls were of course different pitches and were supposed to open up different chakras. I will say that the sounds were definitely piercing and I did feel different things with each one.

EarthDragon
12-21-2005, 10:36 AM
while I did have the honner of meeting Brandan Lai I was not there when he was teaching so my question is was it a "SA" like a japanese kiai? many times when training my shrfu would do this as well as a "ut" sound when switching sides or certain strikes.

I have been lead to beleive it tightens the lower dantien.

mantisrider
12-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Maziar,

I was a student of Sifu Lai in SF continuously from 1985 until he passed away. Your teacher knows me.

N.

Sisook,
I'm sorry about asking about your background. I did not mean to question you or your credentials rather simply misread your post and did not realize who you were. I hope to someday apologize to you in person.

Sincerely,

Maziar

-N-
12-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Maziar,

Absolutely no apologies necessary. Most don't know about me since I don't have much habit to post my background online. That is fine by me too :)

best wishes,
N.

Sisook,
I'm sorry about asking about your background. I did not mean to question you or your credentials rather simply misread your post and did not realize who you were. I hope to someday apologize to you in person.

Sincerely,

Maziar

mantis55
01-18-2006, 02:33 AM
Apologies for the belated post...

My personal observation is that Lai Sifu used vocalization specifically to startle his opponent/partner in conjunction with blinding speed to hit/land a blow. Similar to making the opponent blink when doing a fung sou/ying min jern combination.

Lai Sifu was also vocal in his demonstration of how a move was executed, ie
"braaaak" for a pek sou; "paaak" for a toon choi or "sooooook" for a spear hand darting to the throat.

You'll note that tan tien does tighten up and the hit is very focused when the vocalization is used.

-N-
01-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Lai Sifu was also vocal in his demonstration of how a move was executed, ie
"braaaak" for a pek sou; "paaak" for a toon choi or "sooooook" for a spear hand darting to the throat.
Hi M55!,

Yah, sound effects to help the explanation of the move.

N.

cha kuen
01-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Brenden Lai was just making those loud noises for the effect, nothing to do w / training

Although some people exhale a bit harder cause of all the enrgy built up, but in that video, that wanst' the case. Jus tmaking things look/sound better.

that's all.

Three Harmonies
01-19-2006, 07:27 AM
All Chinese I have met make goofy sounds and noises when they play! My girlfriend was just commenting on it the other day.
Cheers
Jake :D

Oso
01-19-2006, 09:32 AM
my first teacher was a hisser...either on the inhale or the exhale...he sounded like a **** snake all the time.

my second teacher was big on the 5 animal thing so he would use different sounds attributed to each animal at times....

I think the patented Pong Lai sound is kind of a 'BAA!!!'

I picked it up from yu shan and now I can't stop doing it. ;)