PDA

View Full Version : taiji in celebrex comercial?

NorthernMantis
02-28-2001, 11:57 PM
I was wondering if any of you internal practitioners have seen that celebrex commercial that has people doing taiji in the background?Does anyone know who the sifu is in the commercial or recognise the style?

I thought the commercial was contradictory because it sort of gave the message that you needed the drug in order to do physical activities like taiji when taiji is supposed to heal your body.The commercial was good but I kind of made a face when they made the dog put up his paw like he was trying to practice along with the people.

"Always be ready"

Ma_Xu_Zha
03-01-2001, 12:01 AM
I have seen that commercial also, and had some of the same feelings. i've seen that teacher i think his last name is wong or lee.

there have been several other commericals with taiji also i have noticed.

Qiman
03-01-2001, 01:39 AM
I think they do a technique called "Pat Dogs Head"
in that commercial.

Actually I have seen back to back commercials with Tai-Chi being performed. One was Celebrex, a very good medication by the way. I can't remember what the other product was. Ex-lax maybe. :D

8stepsifu
03-01-2001, 07:55 AM
I see posters up all the time of Video Tape instructors...those people that had a tai chi set videotape and teach at colleges. Their students suck, have no base whatsoever and don't even have parallel feet.

Then there are the red book magazines with movement like "Rainbow Dance" and other BS. There was even a crappy on in inside kung fu where this tense woman managed to break all the rules of thumb from the tai Chi classics while playing with those stupid metal balls. She did "Snake Creeps Down" on the ball of her foot! WTF!?

These are the schmucks that shamelessly self promote. I have good body movement, but seeing as I am a lifetime student of Tai Chi, I know where I stand in the whole scheme of the System and would never claim to be some Master. However these clowns will because it costs then nothing to do so. Leaning over this way and that, it's shamefull

Qiman
03-01-2001, 07:06 PM
Subway has a commercial with that guy Jared walking past a women doing Tai Chi.

8Stepsifu, I agree that teachers should not calm anything that they have not earned. Tai Chi has been around in Churchs, Community Colleges, Senior Centers and the like for years here in CA. It is not martial arts and they do not claim it to be. One popular course is called Tai Chi Chu developed by Justin Stone. I took it once just to see what it was about. It is basically a Chi Gung set bootleged from Tai Chi Ruler, and some moves from Yang style (Wave hands like clouds for example). I call these courses and teachers New Age Tai Chi. In my mind I can seperate the two. They typically do not do push hands or study any application like chin na. It is Qigong plane and simple even though they don't know it. Several women at my employment took classes at the college and loved it for the relaxation and exercise benefits. Not a clue about chi development!!! Please don't judge all New Age Tai Chi groups. I think that the door was opened for this when the Yang style altered the forms for the eldery way back when.

And again I am strongly against false teachers and fakes that proclaim to be somthing they are not. If health benefits can be obtained so be it. I doubt any of the New Agers would try and use their Tai Chi in a fight. They don't even know that it was developed as Kung Fu.