PDA

View Full Version : Shining Board, Jade Ring, Closed Door and Mandarin Duck

blackmantis
12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Does anyone practise or know anything about...

Guangban (Shining/Bright Board), Mimen (Secret/Closed door), Yuhuan (Jade Ring) or Yuanyang (Mandarin Duck)?

These all look very interesting but maybe they are too obscure for real information! Do any of you know anything about any of these?

S

Three Harmonies
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Mimen is a Taiwanese nomenclature for Meihua.
Jake :)

Indestructible
12-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Does anyone practise or know anything about...

Guangban (Shining/Bright Board), Mimen (Secret/Closed door), Yuhuan (Jade Ring) or Yuanyang (Mandarin Duck)?

These all look very interesting but maybe they are too obscure for real information! Do any of you know anything about any of these?

S

Mimen (Secret/Closed door)-lunging motion used to achieve point of vulernablity, or close rang striking position in order to apply most all other other fighting principles.

Yuhuan (Jade Ring)-primarily footwork including things like evasive circling, shifts of centerline mass with multiple strikes on one shift, low bow with jade ring slide. You can also apply dragging hands with a jade ring arch.

Lu Bu
12-29-2005, 09:47 PM
No sir, Mimen is Secret Door. Secret Door and Meihua aren't the same, either. Meihua's range is much longer where Mimen's is all short and in close.

At least that's how I heard. =) Hope I haven't learned it wrong, lol. :o

Oso
01-11-2006, 08:41 AM
I heard it the same way Lu Bu.

been waiting for Kevin to comment.

I think Jake is basically referring to what Kevin has said about GM Kui's mantis being 'old mantis' and basically regarded as Meihua and it being Master Su's 'invention' of calling it Mimen...

K.Brazier
01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
<< Secret Door and Meihua aren't the same, either. Meihua's range is much longer where Mimen's is all short and in close.>>

That is somewhat true in how the forms are played, but from the point of view of fighting it is a different story.

The Mantis style itself is a short range style.
Within it are longer and shorter aspects. When the practitoner gets to fight they will emphasize those aspects and techniques that best suit the circumstances as well as the body type.

Mei Hua is a well documented style. Old manuscripts and theories of the forms still exist in several different lines.
Sadly, the same can not be said of Mimen.

What exists are manuscripts written by my shifu of what he was taught by his shifu, but for Mimen that is it as far as I know.

Kevin

Oso
01-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the input.

Lu Bu
01-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Shifu Kevin- I see what you are saying. Thank you for the clarification. :)

Charles

Sifu Darkfist
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Well I am A student of a certain master and i respect the style of others, However, Grand Master Su is not an inventor, and if he is it must be revered as a real Mantis style. At this point there is noone that is more qualified to do the Baji Tang Lang or whatever you choose to call his work.

Mimen is called that way for a reason. I suggest you ask the Mantis King Himself.
It could be his master asked in the end to proliferate this system this way. How could you argue?

Well one way is through all my fighters and Gladius. As i said GM SU IS OUR Grand Master And i am about sick of hearing this maybe maybe not crap. His site is availible if you have questions.

Or Else you could accept the fact that he has been where many will never go and leave him Alone.
I cant stand to see men that do not read English challenged at what they do here.

Sifu Darkfist
01-13-2006, 12:00 AM
look do not think i target
The Only thing i am saying is that there is a real flag here.
I am not drilling any one for Anything or any mistakes.
Nevertheless, i as a little dropling left on the floor by a great man, will rise to show he has a presence.

Three Harmonies
01-13-2006, 06:24 AM
DF
Who was challenging Su or you and your organization?? Oso was just saying the Su invented the name, and to a degree he is right. It was Su's generation (perhaps not Su himself, but I do not know) that started calling it Mimen. No one is more qualified to do "Baji Tangalang" because no one else does it! It is not a style, it is Su's personal interpretation as to how Mantis should be played. That IMO is not a negative critique!
I believe Lubu is referring to some Mimen he has seen Su do, and yes it is "tighter" than some of the mainland Meihua, but the forms are very similar. It is bascially Meihua, but what do I know.
Jake

Oso
01-13-2006, 06:55 AM
SD, my comments were only basically referring to what I've been told about our side of the line through Shiye Shr.

Kevin has stated pretty clearly in several places that Kui did not call his mantis 'mimen', just 'old mantis' though the rest of the mantis world regards it as 'meihua'.

If I'm incorrect w/ attributing 'Mimen' to Shiye Su, then I certainly retract it. My memory is just getting worse and worse these days. But, that's how I remember hearing/reading it.

I DON'T think it's a bad thing for Shiye Su coined a named for his teachers style. That's the way it should me, IMO.

Pong Lai gets thrown around as a 'new style' of mantis and I think it is doctrinally different from other lines.

The last thing we need is the start of another WHF/CCM type fued.;)

Shiye Su and Shuye Shi are creating different expressions of what they got from GM Kui. With the addition of the Baji on one side and...well, I don't know what to call the exact twist that makes PL, PL...they are going to be different 'styles' of mantis.

Sifu Darkfist
01-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Guys look, I Am guilty for being sensitive on this issue because I have heard remarks in many places regarding his flavor or changing not just here but every where. I will admit the description of the style you guys gave is right. However the guy is pretty much my hero and i do not know enough to speak his language or ask him nor do i ever feel in a high enough place to even write to him.

I took it the wrong way i guess, it was due to other comments through my time training from other sources quibbling over he does this or that different.

All i know is ive seen him play, I also have tape from 2000, a few years ago and he still looks amazing and still lightining fast.

So him not being here to speak out my back got up a bit
I apologize for being such an ass
James

Oso
01-13-2006, 08:25 AM
no worries, bro...I never meant what I said as criticism, just repeating what I've learned about the history...i'm all about innovation and moving forward with the knowledge you learn from the past...that's the point, IMHO.

yu shan gave me a copy of a tape of Master Su and I watch it fairly often just as I do my tapes of yu shan, Shifu Scolaro and Shiye Shi.

I'm intrigued by Kui, he just looks like one of those crusty old men that are a trip to be around. I think understanding of him and his fu means looking at all the sources.

Lu Bu
01-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Shameless Profiteer (yes, I still lol about that, what can I say :o ),

Nah, the Mimen I was talking about was what very, very, very little I have seen Master Shr do. I've seen Su Yu Chang practice Mimen as well, but I was directly referring to what I saw through Master Shr since I would probably p1ss someone off if I was talking about their teacher. :(

Sorry, just in case I offended anyone anywhere.

yu shan
01-13-2006, 09:53 AM
holy cr*p Oso, you mention my name with the greats, I`m more like a crusty old f a r t! :rolleyes: Lu Bu not sure what your still laughing at, it is Friday, I`m allowed.

And to sort of get back on topic. My Shifu is teaching me Mimen Lan Jie, I`m having a little trouble picking up the fajing energy that my teacher shows. This is really differant for me.

Oso
01-13-2006, 10:02 AM
well, I have learned most of my pong lai from you...

also, it's cool to see Master Shi, to Shifu John to you....just take our warmup routine...I have all three of you doing it...

Lu Bu
01-13-2006, 05:43 PM
The whole "Shameless Profiteer" thing came from His Holiness® in Shanghai. He refers to Jake as a "Shameless Profiteer", and I found it funnier than I probably should have. :o

yu shan
01-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Lu Bu

Roger that, I had already forgotten about them. If it is not important, I let it go. Yea, you gotta watch that Jake feller, God forbid he makes a couple of coins to maybe feed himself.

Three Harmonies
01-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.......... ............... you guys see how much it takes to feed me!! If I relied on KF to pay for my meals, I would have starved eons ago!
I got the joke though lubu ;) and I think it is funny too.
Cheers
Jake :D

onyomi
01-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Guang-ban (shining board) Mantis is a style that makes a lot of use of open-handed palm strikes. Also, instead of making the usual diao-shou, it makes a kind of grabbin motion with the thumb and first two fingers to represent it's qinna applications.