PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of sparring

Chief Fox
12-21-2005, 09:34 AM
So last night was a typical class. We warmed up, did some stance drills, then we did a lot of pad work. Then did those same techniques in two man drills. Then we sparred and worked on forms a bit.

At the end of class the instructo and another student came up to me and asked if I wanted to spar in the hallway. I was like "WHAT!? SPAR IN THE HALLWAY!". "OK, sounds like fun". So we did two on one sparring in the hallway. Each person took a turn as the one person. So we did three 1 minute rounds. It really got me out of my element being in the tighter space. Grabbing and controling limbs became very important. Position and using one opponent to block the other was one of the strategies. Another strategy was controlling one oppnent and using him as a shield against the other. Or even pushing one guy into the other.

It was alot of fun.

Anyone else got some different sparring ideas?

hskwarrior
12-21-2005, 09:39 AM
the one thing that allowed my student to keep his life is that kind of sparring.

except that i make them fight 3-4 on one since that's the way it is here in sf.

its a free for all and only one should be left standing. but because of this training my student escaped a life threatening situation with minor injuries while taking care of business.

both eyes swollen shut and no front teeth, cup choys can be a biatch.

rogue
12-21-2005, 10:09 AM
I've been doing that for a couple years. Do it anywhere that conditions suck. Stairs, woods, mud a bedroom, a bathroom, in a parking lot. Just pick a place.

Chief Fox
12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
I've been doing that for a couple years. Do it anywhere that conditions suck. Stairs, woods, mud a bedroom, a bathroom, in a parking lot. Just pick a place.
oooh, stairs. Good one.

rogue
12-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Just remember to wair head protection and don't get too stupid.

Chief Fox
12-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Just remember to wair head protection and don't get too stupid.
Well it's too late for that.

Ray Pina
12-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Most of my S Mantis training was done in a hallway because that was the only space we had for a while. Chi Sau in a tight hallway is great. You know immediately when you become off balanced because you bounce off the wall.

Also, it forces you to absorb and displace to the sides because running left or right is not an option and backwards only goes so far.

Sounds like you're having fun. Sparring on stairs sounds fun too but sounds also too easily for someone to fall and crack their spine on the edge of a stair. If I was low, the first thing I'd want to do is find a dragging situation. If I was high, a near tackling and riding someone down the stairs like a sled situation.

yenhoi
12-21-2005, 06:48 PM
two man drills with real knives, aka live blade training.

no joke!

;)

greensage22
12-21-2005, 07:35 PM
My friends and I practice all over our houses, the yard, the street
in the rain "my favorite", and in the snow.
we also have an area we call the sand castles which is deep white sand
on a cliff side of sand stone, if you fall its 2 stories until the plop in the deep
sand below. what makes it even better is that there are 5 of us and only
two of us share the same base style. keeps it moving in all kinds of unexpected
ways. we have shotokan karate, tai chi, boxing/grapling, and a guy who is
just plan big "no formal training" but sometimes being big is enough.
having someone who likes to spar with no training is helpful because he
doesn't use stances or form he is just tring to hit you like an "average"
person would.

SimonM
12-21-2005, 08:01 PM

Living room is my favorite. I'd love trying to trip people over the couch. ;) :D

greensage22
12-22-2005, 04:07 PM
try kicking the kitchen table into someone, that ones always funny

PangQuan
12-22-2005, 04:46 PM
its fun to put your back to the wall or even in a corner. Play only defense while one to two people attack you, either free style or with a specific purpose.

Only allow yourself to switch stances, no moving side to side, or forward. Only blocking and pushing.

It sure is fun to watch the senior brother attack sifu this way and not even get close to landing a blow.

excellent practice for the situations when you become overwhelmed with attacks.

greensage22
12-22-2005, 05:20 PM
I like hooking chairs with my toes and spinning them around from behind
to stop a bum rush

Becca
12-23-2005, 11:20 AM
its fun to put your back to the wall or even in a corner. Play only defense while one to two people attack you, either free style or with a specific purpose.

Only allow yourself to switch stances, no moving side to side, or forward. Only blocking and pushing.

It sure is fun to watch the senior brother attack sifu this way and not even get close to landing a blow.

excellent practice for the situations when you become overwhelmed with attacks.
We do this one quite a bit in sparring class. The last time I did it, though (4 weeks ago) I messed up my hand 'cuase I freeked when someone came at me with a high jump kick...:o Of course, I also learned to duck under that kind of attack thanks to that session. Very handy as I currently couldn't block 2-year-old with my left hand...:mad: ;)

JamesC
12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I like hooking chairs with my toes and spinning them around from behind
to stop a bum rush

Whaddya have monkey toes or somethin'?