PDA

View Full Version : Jiang Hualong v. Gong Baotian Story

ChaoticMantis
12-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Folks,

Here is an interesting post I found on emptyflower.com. I decided to check it out after Jake "Three Harmonies" make a post about the site to Michael D. Thanks Jake, I really enjoyed the site as it is very informative. :)

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=Xing;action=display;num=1133972618

Per Htown's request, here is the relevant passage from the JAMA, Volume 10 No. 4 (2001) article by Ilya Profatilov (p. 54). I thought it deserved a separate thread from the Hakka kuen conversation.

As background: Ilya is in the lineage of Jiang Hualong/Song Zide, who both learned "Plum Blossom Praying Mantis" from Liang Xuexiang. Cheers.

-Grady

"At the end of the Qing Dynasty, when Jiang Hualong was living and teaching in the Yantai area, he would often challenge or be challenged by masters of other boxing styles. He defeated them all. As a result, a number of frustrated boxers who had lost to Jiang got together. Eight Trigrams Boxing (Baguaquan) master Gong Baotian (1867-1943), whom Jiang had recently defeated, acted as a representative to these Yantai boxing masters and challenged Jiang. He invited Jiang to Shinanhu, Yantai, to fight with them with weapons to the death.

When Jiang heard the news, he burst with anger and rushed back to his native Laiyang County. He took his swords and long spear and put on helmet and armor as if he were going to war. His disciples followed him. Jiang jumped up on a horse and was about to gallop off when he was stopped by his friend and boxing brother, Song Zide. Song told him that this was not an honorable thing to do and that, in the long run, this incident would cause even more trouble.

Eventually, Song talked Jiang out of going and Song instead went to Yantai to settle the matter. In Yantai, he met Gong Baotian, who was reasonable enough to recognize all of the possible unpleasant consequences that could be the aftermath of this conflict. Thus Song restored the peace between the Yantai martial arts community and Jiang Hualong."