PDA

View Full Version : 8 Step's Continuous Palm Fist 連環掌拳 (lian huang zhang quan)

ChaoticMantis
12-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Does anybody know why 連環掌拳 (lian huang zhang quan) Continuous Palm Fist was not part of the Taiwan standardize 8 Step forms? This form appears in the late Grand Master Wei's book and I was taught this form as a standard by Master Shyun.

I know Paqua has the movement named 連環掌拳 (lian huang zhang quan). I think the form might be a tribute to Paqua because of the contribution to the creation of 8 Step. Any comments?

Also the form lian huang zhang does not contain any mantis techniques just like in 7 Star's chop choi which also does not have any mantis techniques.

:)

K.Brazier
12-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Don't know anything about why you have lian huan zhang and others don't.

There are a lot of manuscripts of weapons forms from GM Wei that are not practiced by anyone of his school(to my knowledge).

I thought that 7* cha chuei had a lot of pm in it. Not just the individual techniques, but their arrangment and combinations as well.

To say cha chuei has no PM in it would make someone wonder if there was any pm in forms such as 18 elders, duo gang and a host of others.

Kevin

lulusweeps
12-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Chaotic,

Not sure what you mean. Continuous Palm has a lot of Mantis in it. The version I know is much different than the version my teacher learned from Master Shyun. They only share the name. The version I later learned is simlar to the 4th Essential in part. It also has repetative techniques from small cart wheel and seven hands. I always was under the impression that it is part of the standarized 8 Step from Taiwan as some of Master Wei's students are teaching it.

ChaoticMantis
12-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Kevin,

I do apologize for my comparison. I meant that you don't see any distinctive mantis techniques like the gou, lou and cai.

But overall your right and because there must be a reason why the Mantis masters put it in the curriculum.

ChaoticMantis
12-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Lulu,

I was curious because if you look at www.babutanglang.com the 8 Step Continuous Palm is not listed but the form is listed in Grandmaster Wei's book and my sifu teaches the form.

I would like to know some more about your version.

-N-
12-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Sorry, Chop Chui has a ton of mantis methods and techniques in it.

I was about to list some, but then I figured I'd end up listing the entire form :)

N.

ChaoticMantis
12-24-2005, 09:29 AM
All,

Please let me retract what I said about Chop Chui. It is a bad comparsion on my part. It does have a lot of mantis techniques.

I don't want to start a flame war over this. So I apologized to all for the confusion. I only want to discuss lian huang zhang and to get input from others.

lulusweeps
12-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi Chaotic,

I don't have an answer for you. But the list on forms you posted a few weeks ago shows it as one of 8 step forms from Master Wei's book. Maybe they don't practice it as much as I mentioned it is like the 4th Essential. I'll try and get an answer. Does your Continuous Palm have similarities to the the 4th Essential form that Master Shyun showed you?

ChaoticMantis
12-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi Lulu,

Playing both sets out, I notice 2 movement that both sets have. It is a right hook reverse palm and then follow up with a right back palm. I think that's the only moves, but I have to play both set out a few more time to compare.