PDA

View Full Version : can you help translate.....

hskwarrior
12-27-2005, 11:27 AM
on my website i posted a couple of pictures of lau bun never really seen before and some of the chinese writings past down since he passed away.

can anyone, (including Dave Ross) help with the translation.

some of it i can read (like the Hung Sing Characters of course) but chinese language was never really my thing.

anyways heres the page info so check it out and pls lend a hand.

http://www.hsclf.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Professor%20Lau%20Bun

click photo album then Professor Lau Bun
thanks in advance.

frank

hskwarrior
12-27-2005, 11:32 AM
the cool thing about those photo's of Lau Bun is that right behind him is his pair of couplets hanging on the wall.

I was blessed to come into possession with them and am trying to preserve them as well. how cool is that, i own something from Lau Bun and his own calligraphy writing, something he was also well known for.

hsk

htowndragon
12-27-2005, 05:44 PM
means the Saint of Mu Lum or Saint of Wu lin in mandarin, aka, Saint of the Martial Forrest

syn
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Speaking of translation can anyone tell me what Dit Dar mean? And what the purpose of it is?

Fu-Pow
01-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Speaking of translation can anyone tell me what Dit Dar mean? And what the purpose of it is?

Fall and Hit. Dit Dar or Dit Da refers to the treatment of bruises, contusions, breaks, sprains, tears etc. through the use of mainly physical manipulation and herbal remedies. You could think of it as a kind of Chinese sports medicine.

In contrast to the whole of traditional chinese medicine which is much more involved and theoretical and designed to treat the whole range of human disease (eg cancer, infections).

ngokfei
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
translations give me a headache:confused:

after 10 years I now know radicles, brushstrokes and how to look them up.

But now I've fallen into having to translate "simplified" characters or even worse old obscure characters not used by the majority.

I've sure dumbfounded my friends at the chinese restaurant, even grandpa who is 80 has no idea what some of them are:eek:

extrajoseph
01-04-2006, 05:05 AM
Hi Frank,

1 of 7 is an image of a four characters praise for Lau Bun, all the characters read from right to left and top to bottom and it says "Wei Wu Ying Yang" 威武鹰扬 which can be translated to mean "Impressive martial strength raised up (or spread out) like an eagle". By the style of the caligrapghy, it stands on its own.

5 of 7, 6 of 7 and 7 of 7 should be read together. They form a four characters caligraphy gift presented by a man called Huang Xian-Li 黄显利.

7 of 7 is the central theme, the four characters says "Wu Lin Zhi Sheng" 武林之圣 which can be translated to mean "A Sage of the Martial Forest", that is referring to Lau Bun being a wise teacher.

6 of 7 is to commemorate the occasion and the nine characters says "Hong Shen Guo Shu Guan Qiao Qian Zhi Xi" 鸿胜国术馆乔迁之喜 which can be translated to mean "On the happy occasion of the relocation of the Hong Sheng Chinese Martial Arts School to a better location".

7 of 7 recorded the name of the giver and it says "Huang Xian Li Jing He" 黄显利敬贺 which can be translated to mean "Respectfully congratulated by Huang Xian-Li"

I very much doubted that these two four characters caligraphy pieces would have been written by Lau Bun himself because they both praised his character and I am not sure if a person will do this to himself unless it is you of course, Franks! :-)

Just for your research and you may have known this already, there are four ways to write the characters for Hung Sing even though they all pronounce the same way, there are:

1) "Hong Sheng" 洪圣 or the "Great Sage" Hung Sing, Chan Heung's King Mui Ancestral School.

2) "Hong Sheng" 洪胜 or the "Great and Magnanimous" Hung Sing, Chan Heung's original intented name but has to change due to the fact that it was closely related to the Ming revival movement.

3) Then it was changed to "Xiong Sheng" 雄胜 or the "Heroic" Hung Sing and then the last change of the name was to:

4) "Hong Sheng" 鸿胜 or the "Great Goose" Hung Sing.

I have written down all the Chinese characters in Pinyin for you but you need a Chinese character reader to read them. My apology for my computer can only write the simplied characters.

Cheers and a Happy New Year to you and your family!

EJ

洪圣
洪胜
雄胜
鸿胜

hskwarrior
01-04-2006, 08:49 AM
thanks joseph,

thank you for taking the time to translate that for me joseph.

the only thing i know we have or i have in my possession is the pair of couplets that were written by lau bun.

those things i needed help with were the possessions of lau bun. they were in his studio.

thanks again.

frank

hskwarrior
01-04-2006, 09:05 AM
what i was saying brother joe, is that in 2,3,and 4 of 7 you can see the couplets in the background and those are written by lau bun himself.

those 2 writings were given to lau bun, we just never translated them.

thanks again