PDA

View Full Version : Explanations!!!!!!!!

Citong Shifu
12-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey everyone. There is a school near mine that advertises Wu Hsing Chuan kung fu. Now, Wu Hsing Chuan normally translates to 5 form fist, 5 animal fist, or 5 family fist, at least the instructors in the Metro St.Louis area translates it this way?????? Anyway, I somewhat know the guy who owns this school from back in the day when he was a karate / tang soo do instructor. I asked him what he taught at his school and he told me WHC, I was surprised and asked him who he trained with, he told me some names then proceeded to explain to me that he actually teaches JKD concepts and escrima. I was like oh..... He then told me that he uses the name WHC because he also teaches tai chi and within tai chi there is crane, snake, dragon. etc. Now, we all know this is @!#$*. My question is this, I have alot of people come into my school and while interviewing ask me what I think of his teacher and his WHC style. I try to be careful and not bash on anyone, but I cannot confirm or give a good recommendation. Does anyone have any ideas on how to politely get out of answering such a question?

Thanks.
Ron.

SanHeChuan
12-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Maybe the guy was just ignorant about the name and wasn’t trying to fool anyone about what he taught there.

Be like…”WHC is actually misnomer what they actually teach is JKD concepts, escrima, and tai chi.”

If you’ve really seen what he teaches and feel comfortable passing judgment on the guy, I don’t see a problem with giving an honest opinion, but be diplomatic and expect any negative comments to get back to him.

rogue
12-28-2005, 06:14 AM
I try to be careful and not bash on anyone, but I cannot confirm or give a good recommendation. Does anyone have any ideas on how to politely get out of answering such a question?
Nothing wrong with just saying, "I don't know I've never trained with him" and leave it at that.

Citong Shifu
12-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys, Thats pretty much what I've been doing, the " I dont know " thing. Just thought I'd see what some of you thought about this subject. Thanks again.

Ron.

lkfmdc
12-28-2005, 10:39 AM
IN this case, the simple thing is also the correct thing

You don't need to comment on anyone except yourself, you don't need to provide info on any program other than your own.

If someone asks you about some other school, just tell them they'll have to go there themselves and see for themselves

Citong Shifu
12-28-2005, 11:44 AM
ikfmdc, Yeah, thats what I've been doing. The WHC guy actually called me and ask why I wouldn't back up his reputation, lol. I told him that I didn't kow anything about what he was doing except his karate background....... I guess sometimes one just has to call it the way they see it. I'm not judge or jury, just don't like being associated with other schools unless there on the up and up. Know what I mean?

Ron.

Citong Shifu
12-28-2005, 01:21 PM
he actually called you to say that?!? what an idiot - he's lucky that you a) didn't totally trash him; b) blow his cover; besides, did he ever offer to pay you for an endorsement? i think not...
:D

LOL, yeah. He actually tells people that he's a close friend of mine. I really only know him from the martial arts circle in my area. I dont know? I'm sure I'll come up with something to disassociate myself and school from his, lol.

Ron.