PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good martial artist?

Chief Fox
12-28-2005, 11:53 AM
And how do you get there?

Well the new year is coming up pretty quick and I've been doing some thinking on what my goals for this next year should be. Naturally, I asked my self what my training goals are. The answer "to be a better martial artist". The trick is, how do I do that?

Here's what I've come up with so far:
At this point in time, to me, a good martial artist is:
A person who has a sense of being “in touch” with their physical abilities, internally and externally, and can use this sense to call upon those abilities in a combat situation. Or someone who has developed their body internally and externally to become a better person / effective fighter.

So the question becomes, how do I do this? How do I develop my body internally and externally to become a better person / more effective fighter?

1. You have to be in good physical condition. Strong, flexible and have good cardio vascular endurance.
2. You have to be able to relax your mind and focus so your body can do what you are asking it to do.
3. You have to know the skills and techniques that will make you a more effective fighter like they are a part of you. No hesitation.

Now the trick for me will be coming up with the right program / life style change that will touch on the above aspects.

MasterKiller
12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Now the trick for me will be coming up with the right program / life style change that will touch on the above aspects.

Actually, the solution is pretty simple. Surround yourself with people who want the same thing, and then work together to achieve that goal. If your school doesn't train to fight, find one that does.

Chief Fox
12-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Actually, the solution is pretty simple. Surround yourself with people who want the same thing, and then work together to achieve that goal. If your school doesn't train to fight, find one that does.
Excellent advice. I actually find myself doing this already.

SPJ
12-28-2005, 08:21 PM
One answer would be that to be good at whatever you are good at.

Some people like to throw then throw away. some like to be on the ground all the time then be on the ground all the time.--

There are Chan stories.

One student monk asked the teacher monk. When and how can I be a good at MA?

The teacher said a bird may not learn to swim like a frog. A frog may not learn to fly like a bird.

the student was puzzled. after a while, the teacher then said that find out whatever you are good at and practice them.

:D

SPJ
12-28-2005, 08:30 PM
The second story.

When and how to be there?

A student asked the teacher in gardening. When can we have a good harvest of fruits and vegatables?

The teacher said attend to your garden every day. Every thing will come in time.

or soon enough, or we will have good crops before you know it.

Meaning focusing on practice. The skills will be there.

or skills are byproducts of our daily practice.

etc etc.

On the other hand, without practice or attending the garden, the weeds will out grow your crops. we end up with weeds.

SPJ
12-28-2005, 08:37 PM
The third one.

Be humble. there are always higher mountains and deeper ponds.

there are millions of things in the world. one thing is subdued by another.

the water puts out the fire. the earth buries the water, the wood/tree destroies the earth. the metal/axe cuts the wood. the fire melts the metal.

the mantis is focusing on catching the bug without knowing the sparrow is on his or her back.

My points are:

1. find out what you are good at and practice them.

2. practice every day.

3. always be humble.

shaolinboxer
12-29-2005, 06:52 AM
I think another key is to find a lifestyle/job that allows you to apply your training in a healthy way. Then you are always developing your skill.

Chief Fox
12-29-2005, 06:55 AM
The third one.

Be humble. there are always higher mountains and deeper ponds.

there are millions of things in the world. one thing is subdued by another.

the water puts out the fire. the earth buries the water, the wood/tree destroies the earth. the metal/axe cuts the wood. the fire melts the metal.

the mantis is focusing on catching the bug without knowing the sparrow is on his or her back.

My points are:

1. find out what you are good at and practice them.

2. practice every day.

3. always be humble.

Well put. Thanks.

hskwarrior
12-29-2005, 08:12 AM
I agree with what most of you are saying here.

But i think a few elements have been misplaced somewhere.

to become an affectve fighter i think Heart, desire, and a slight ability to hurt people , you know.....that kind of stuff.

brothernumber9
12-29-2005, 08:29 AM
you should gather up your belongings onto one gigantic back pack rig and go live in the woods for 3-5yrs and do nothing but insane training. Then upon your return to society, do away with your given korean name and change it to Mas Oyama or Baki or something like that, then travel from martial arts teacher to martial arts teacher and challenge them, defeat them all, then learn a little bit of poetry and art and history, speak a little like David Carradine in vague and confusing quatrains. Then you will make a good martial artist.

but beware of Juditsu and the Judo Katana!!!!

lkfmdc
12-29-2005, 08:58 AM
let's de-construct what Chris just wrote :D

syn
12-29-2005, 09:11 AM
you should gather up your belongings onto one gigantic back pack rig and go live in the woods for 3-5yrs and do nothing but insane training. Then upon your return to society, do away with your given korean name and change it to Mas Oyama or Baki or something like that, then travel from martial arts teacher to martial arts teacher and challenge them, defeat them all, then learn a little bit of poetry and art and history, speak a little like David Carradine in vague and confusing quatrains. Then you will make a good martial artist.

but beware of Juditsu and the Judo Katana!!!!

As amazingly cheesy as it sounds I plan that after highschool I'll take one year off before going to college and spend that over in china training.

Chief Fox
12-29-2005, 09:13 AM
This is obviously a very personal topic and everyone may have a different answer. I have been approaching the question "And how do you get there?" from a very physical standpoint. I have to come up with the right training program, what will my schedule look like... blah blah blah. I'm realizing that maybe I've been ignoring the mental or philisophical side to this question. Maybe a good martial artist is more than just an effective fighter who is in good shape mentaly and physically. Maybe, for me, being a martial artist should fill up more of my life. Hmmmmm.

A lot to think about. Always learning and exploring.

PangQuan
12-29-2005, 10:04 AM
a good fighter is not the same as a good martial artist.

a good martial artists must be a good fighter as well. but there is more.

art is the ultimate expression of the soul. it is said that art is the outspeaking of heaven through man.

there are many good fighters that have no art.

you are on to it. you said you want to be a better martial artist. you have focused on the physical aspects and now are beginning to work on the mental, spiritual, and phylisophical aspects.

with the proper physical training regime, and constant conditioning of the soul, as SPJ points out, your garden will bear fruit in time.

you ARE becoming a bettter martial artist. if you are to step back from your life, look at the goals you have set for yourself, look at the actions you have taken to achieve these goals, meditate on your spirit.

if all is in alignment you will realize that you are on the path to betterment and the answer to your questions actually lie within yourself and in your actions.

hskwarrior
12-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Perhaps,

when you ask a question like that you should take into account the people you are asking the question to. The great thing about being human is that we all possess different points of view.

In my personal opinion of what a good martial artist is.......in a nut shell, A fighter, a teacher, a killer a healer. it is one thing to be able to wipe out another person, but on the other side of the coin one should learn how to heal as well.

a good martial artist understands that what was taught to him isn't supposed to be used for bad, but some of us live in area's where just walking to the corner store is a life threatening ordeal. When my mother was alive i remember her sending me to the corner store for milk with either a stick or a chain in my hand.
sometimes that mentality sticks with us for decades or even our whole lives.

a good martial artist is one who can take what he knows and no matter how hard of a time he is having is patient enough to realize that you were once just like this person you are instructing now.

A good martial artist is one who doesn't bring shame onto his sifu.

i mean you can go on an on about this subject, but what it all boils down to the concept of what a good martial artist is is so broad we can go on for days.

But let me ask this question.........Is there a difference between a great martial artist and a great fighter?

What is the role of a good martial artist?

Im asking those questions to see what your minds come up with.

Ray Pina
12-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Chief Fox, your outlook sounds positive and correct.

For other's, I'd say the number one thing you need to train in martial arts is self honesty..... what do you really know? What can you really do? What do you want to know and do?

Find someone who has walked that path already and train, but remain honest with yourself. Don't think you have a technique, go test it and own it. Know you have it. Don't believe yourself to be powerful, undergo training and make youself powerful .... not relative to what you were, or the untrained, are you powerful among powerful men?

The more I train, the more I see it's not about technique. Of course you need certain technique, but it's about internal spirt, your state-of-mind. It helps to be powerful and explosive.

I don't think the road of a martial artists is an easy one. For me, it's been kind of lonely, with major ups and downs, but I know I'm doing my best. I'm progressing. It goes back to the being honest. Have something, train it. Don't have something, obtain it.

I can say I learned to ground fight in 2005. That was huge. I'm not the best, I know there's scores of BJJ experts who would submit me, but I'm comfortable enough with that terrain now to fight there. Always getting better.

SevenStar
12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
For me, it's been kind of lonely, with major ups and downs, but I know I'm doing my best.

I've been thinking about that one... To be honest, I think that may be a hinderance to your progress. Nothing against your teacher, I'm sure he's great, but he is training you for something he himself, AFAIK has not done. Not only that, but you are the only one training for this, correct? Consequently, you are by yourself trying to train for a venue under a master who himself hasn't participated in. This indeed, is a lonely road. I felt something similar when I was training longfist, as I was the only one who had been in a ring, and was the only one interested in getting back in one. When I trained karate, it was under a guy who had competed in events in japan and who wanted to continue training for such things. That boxing, judo and bjj have been the same way. there is a certain camaraderie built among people training for the same goal. It's definitely a less lonely path, plus there is always someone to learn from that has been where you are. This helps you to progress faster.

SevenStar
12-29-2005, 11:31 AM
a good martial artists must be a good fighter as well.

I disagree. I know a lot of people who are great martial artists but cannot fight that well. Ideally, a great MA should also be a great fighter, but realistically, that is not always the case. Just as not all great coaches are great fighters - things just aren't that blanket. Every good MA should be a proficient fighter, but there is a difference between a proficient fighter and a good one.

PangQuan
12-29-2005, 02:03 PM
your correct. I spoke to loosely.

sihing
12-29-2005, 02:14 PM
I disagree. I know a lot of people who are great martial artists but cannot fight that well. Ideally, a great MA should also be a great fighter, but realistically, that is not always the case. Just as not all great coaches are great fighters - things just aren't that blanket. Every good MA should be a proficient fighter, but there is a difference between a proficient fighter and a good one.

It is true that a Great MA should be proficient at fighting, being great is a different definition. What is a great fighter. People say here that they are great fighters proven against other great fighters? Who are these great fighters persay? I think the thing is most of us are not using our skills to actually use on a daily basis in real life, like a war. There is a difference here in our present reality in our society. We really have no need to use these skills, we can buy weapons,. stay out of the way of trouble, get a dog and so forth. Today, IMO MA training teaches other things as well as self defense.

It does come down to what you want out of it for sure. For me, the outcome of WC training was not to be the deadliest fighter around, as I know this is not my way, but to simply just learn the art and later on learning enough about myself to know that I can teach it well also. This is my real passion, teaching and sharing. Helping others realize the benifits that I have. Most all positive in my case.

James

SevenStar
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM
It is true that a Great MA should be proficient at fighting, being great is a different definition. What is a great fighter. People say here that they are great fighters proven against other great fighters? Who are these great fighters persay? I think the thing is most of us are not using our skills to actually use on a daily basis in real life, like a war. There is a difference here in our present reality in our society. We really have no need to use these skills, we can buy weapons,. stay out of the way of trouble, get a dog and so forth. Today, IMO MA training teaches other things as well as self defense.

cops, bouncers and other security personnel, die hard competitors...

In general though, yeah, you're right.