PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Panda

grlyncher99
09-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Just when you thought Kung Fu movies had turned the corner into respectability, along comes this:

Black To Voice Kung Fu Panda

D reamWorks Animation is developing Kung Fu Panda, an animated film featuring the voice of Jack Black, which is set for 2008, Variety reported.

The film will be influenced by cartoonish live-action movies like Kung Fu Hustle and will star Black as the voice of a lazy panda prophesied to save the Valley of Peace, the trade paper reported.

The film will be directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Melissa Cobb will produce, from a screenplay by Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab.

GeneChing
09-27-2005, 11:44 AM
... after being the vegetarian cross-dressing shark, I wonder what kind of panda Jack will be...

MasterKiller
12-29-2005, 09:44 AM
According to Variety, For the first time since it became an independent company, DreamWorks Animation has a full development slate that will help satisfy the company's two-picture-per-year release schedule through at least 2009.

As part of that transition, the company's 2008 calendar is now set, with Jack Black vehicle Kung Fu Panda joining the recently announced Madagascar 2.

Influenced by cartoonish live-action pics like Kung Fu Hustle, Panda will star Black as the voice of a lazy panda prophesied to save the Valley of Peace.

The pic will be directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Melissa Cobb will produce from a screenplay by Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab.

syn
12-29-2005, 11:12 AM
So it's an animated movie about a sloppy panda bear that does kung fu, and Jack Black is the voice? This should be intresting.

It would be cool if the bear did drunken style.

Silent Assassin
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Here is the first teaser/trailer for Kung Fu Panda
http://animatie.blog.nl/trailers/2007/10/27/exclusief-kung-fu-panda-trailer

Zenshiite
10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Sign me up. I like Jack Black, I love kung fu, and pandas are cool in their own kinda way.

Takuan
11-02-2007, 12:54 AM
We have about a year and a half left of freedom then, before having to explain to everyone we meet that we do Kung Fu: "Yes, like the panda..." : /

GeneChing
11-21-2007, 01:34 PM
The trailer looks pretty funny.

http://www.kungfupanda.com

enoajnin
11-24-2007, 03:36 PM
This is a bad idea. Jackie Chan is doing his parts in English. What's the point in that? We don't even get to see him in the flesh. Is it just so we can brand it to the Kung Fu community?

I say no! No to talking Kung Fu Pandas. No to Jack Black.

GeneChing
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Looks like they're rehashing Jackie's old food fu training article. Who remembers what film that was in?

New trailer. (http://www.movieweb.com/news/28/26528.php)

冠木侍
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
The trailer has definitely peaked some interest. I will be on the lookout for this one this summer.

HtownShaolinBum
02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
This is a bad idea. Jackie Chan is doing his parts in English. What's the point in that? We don't even get to see him in the flesh. Is it just so we can brand it to the Kung Fu community?

I say no! No to talking Kung Fu Pandas. No to Jack Black.

WHAT? have you heard Jackie Chan do his own english dubbing? ITS FREAKING HILARIOUS!!! He does a great job. And his voice is very recognizable.

And what is wrong with Jack Black.

I did hear, however, that Angelina Jolie(Uggg, I cringe after just typing the name) is voicing one of the characters. THAT IS THE ONLY REAL REASON TO BOYCOTT THIS MOVIE!!! I refuse to support A.J. and her incredibly horrible horribleness.

GeneChing
03-12-2008, 09:38 AM
...when you can play the video game.

Activision unleashes Kung Fu Panda (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=184562)
Wednesday 12-Mar-2008 1:16 PM

Activision is gearing up to release Kung Fu Panda, a comedy cartoon martial arts adventure based on the film of the game name, in May.

You play as Po the Panda on a mission to become a Dragon Warrior. You journey with the Furious Five; Monkey, Tigress, Viper, Mantis and Crane, to battle against the inevitable super-evil dude, Tai Lung.

It may not feature a moody ninja that slices off the limbs of his foes, but it does have "kung fu awesomeness" and "bodacious humour" according to Activision. Though it sounds like the release was penned by Bill and Ted.

The game will pack 13 levels, as well as co-op and versus multiplayer modes and will be available for all formats and then some (PS3, 360, PC, DS, Wii and PS2, but not the NES or Atari 2600, unfortunately).

GeneChing
03-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I totally agree with what Stevenson says about kung fu films being archetypal tales...

Black's Kung Fu Fighting With `Panda' (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5icqqxbGxqlfRLGa-_z2xbrFHlYwAD8VC59U80)
By DAVID GERMAIN – 18 hours ago

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The last thing the martial-arts fans behind "Kung Fu Panda" wanted to do was make fun of the genre they were re-imagining for the animated world.

So while their leading guy is a tubby, klutzy panda with Jack Black's voice, the filmmakers have delivered a real kung fu movie in the guise of a cartoon comedy.

Directors Mark Osborne and John Stevenson said they intended their panda hero and his comrades — including a tiger (Angelina Jolie), a viper (Lucy Liu) and a monkey (Jackie Chan) — to be the animal-world equivalent of the Asian action warriors they admire.

"With the title, it would be easy to expect maybe a parody of kung fu films," Stevenson said after a screening of "Kung Fu Panda" Tuesday night at ShoWest, an annual convention of theater owners.

"Everybody on the crew was a big martial-arts movie fan," Stevenson said. "That was one of the reasons we didn't want to do a parody, because we actually love those movies. They're great movies. They're sort of like Westerns, these great archetypal tales of good and evil and great emotion and heroism. So we wanted to honor that, not spoof it."

Due in theaters June 6, "Kung Fu Panda" is the latest computer-generated production from DreamWorks Animation, whose films include the "Shrek" flicks, "Madagascar" and "Over the Hedge."

Black provides the voice of Po, a panda in ancient China who idolizes the land's kung fu heroes but is stuck toiling in his family's noodle shop.

Fate lands the roly-poly panda an unexpected gig: He is declared the Dragon Warrior, destined to battle the evil snow leopard Tai Lung (Ian McShane), who has escaped from a prison fortress seeking vengeance against his former martial-arts master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman).

Placed under the tutelage of the dubious Shifu, Po trains alongside five true kung fu masters: Jolie's Tigress, Chan's Monkey, Liu's Viper, Seth Rogen's Mantis and David Cross' Crane.

While the movie is loaded with slapstick and wisecracks, the spirit is true to martial-arts epics that inspired the filmmakers, among them "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers."

The fight scenes are exaggerated for the animated world, but they are real action sequences, intense and often fierce. Even voice star Chan, one of Hollywood's top martial-arts figures, was impressed.

"We thought early on about asking him to help consult and help us with our action, but he really deals with the physical world. He deals with bodies and props, so the virtual world was really foreign to him," Osborne said.

"We kind of showed him some of our action when we recorded him, and he was really stunned by it. He was like, `Wow, this is cool. You're doing stuff that we can't ever do.' I think it was really fun for him to see something that was so different but really a tribute at the same time to real kung fu. ... He may have been saying that for our benefit, but he was very, very kind."

GeneChing
05-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Note the MMA at Cannes thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=861375).

At Cannes, 'Kung Fu Panda' premiere is a kick (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/16/DD0C10N0K0.DTL&hw=kung+fu+panda&sn=001&sc=1000)
David Germain, Associated Press
Friday, May 16, 2008

(05-16) 04:00 PDT Cannes, France -- Fur might be a politically incorrect fashion statement on the red carpet at the world's most-prestigious film festival. Not when you're the star of a movie called "Kung Fu Panda," though.

DreamWorks Animation, whose past Cannes entries include the first two "Shrek" flicks and "Over the Hedge," put its adorable martial-arts hero alongside the festival's highbrow cinema entries Thursday with the premiere of the action comedy whose voice cast includes Jack Black, Angelina Jolie and Dustin Hoffman.

"Being an official selection of the Cannes Film Festival is the Good Housekeeping seal of approval," said Jeffrey Katzenberg, DreamWorks' animation mastermind. "And it's particularly unique when it's a broad commercial movie as opposed to an art film. There's tremendous, tremendous value to that."

DreamWorks uses Cannes as a launch-point for its movies, through screenings and clever stunts to catch the fancy of hordes of reporters, photographers and camera crews.

Black, who joined "Shark Tale" co-stars Jolie and Will Smith for a ride in the Mediterranean aboard an inflatable shark at the 2004 festival, this time paraded on a pier among 40 people in giant panda suits the day before the movie's Cannes premiere.

While Black hammed it up with some kung fu poses, he wisecracked that the incessant camera flashes could go a long way to solving the energy crunch.

"If you harnessed all that electricity, it would probably be enough to take a small unmanned ship to the moon and back," Black said. "It's got to be 1.21 gigawatts of light flashes. It's just going to be sick. Do we really need that many pictures? Where are all those photos going?"

Black provides the voice of Po, a panda in ancient China who idolizes his country's martial-arts heroes but is too slow and clumsy to emulate their moves, and is stuck instead toiling in his family's noodle shop. A twist of fate lands Po under the tutelage of a revered kung fu master (Hoffman), who must train the klutzy panda to battle an evil snow leopard (Ian McShane) intent on marauding and vengeance.

Po's allies include a tiger (Jolie), a viper (Lucy Liu) and a monkey (Jackie Chan), whose graceful martial-arts skills put the lumbering panda to shame.

"There's a concept which everybody responds to, the idea of this sort of soft, cuddly thing having to do this extremely active, athletic thing," said John Stevenson, who co-directed "Kung Fu Panda" with Mark Osborne.

"We saw the potential of this being the archetypal hero's journey that has been done millions of times, but we could actually do the most extreme hero's journey," Osborne said. "Take the most unlikely guy and bring him all the way to being a hero."

As cartoon heroes go, Katzenberg thinks Po can go toe-to-toe with the animation world's box-office heavyweight, the irritable ogre Shrek.

"I do think that Po the panda is going to give Shrek a run for his money, because I think that Po in a very different way is without question the most lovable character we've ever created," Katzenberg said. "Shrek's an anti-hero hero. Po is an unlikely hero. He is more in tune with what we are ourselves. He actually has to find the hero within, and I think we all have a hero within us.

"So it's just very relatable to find this kind of average guy who's working in his dad's noodle restaurant suddenly have an ambitious fantasy to be something great, only to learn that being the best version of yourself is greatness."

"Kung Fu Panda" premieres in U.S. theaters June 6.

冠木侍
05-17-2008, 02:45 PM
The time is nearing. Interesting, I didn't really think that this would be competition for Shrek but I haven't seen it yet to make a decision about that. So many other CG cartoons like Over the Hedge and Bee Movie have had some success but not the the degree that Shrek has enjoyed.

We shall see.

Zenshiite
05-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Tons of Kung Fu Panda toys on the shelves right now. Action figures, little mini statues, stuffed animals, weapons. I bought my 2 year old a Kung Fu Panda Master Monkey Staff last night. It's cool. Can be a staff, two different tips for a spear. Said tips can be like daggers. 5 or 6 weapons in one.

GeneChing
05-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Any forum member that comes up to me and says 'hi' tomorrow at the Ultimate Internationals (http://events.imartial.com/event-home.aspx?ehid=29&eid=44) or the Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50969) is welcome to a pass. The showing will be in San Jose, courtesy of the good people at Dreamworks (http://www.dreamworks.com/) and the Tiger Claw Foundation (http://tigerclawfoundation.org/).

冠木侍
05-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi. :D

What if you are not so near San Jose at the moment? :(

GeneChing
05-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I hear there are a lot of previews happening all across the country. At least, I've heard of several in our immediate area. So keep your eye out. Or just buy a ticket when it opens on 6/6.

GeneChing
06-02-2008, 09:50 AM
It's a laugh riot - as entertaining as Shrek, but about kung fu. What more could you want from this? It has great potential to give kung fu that needed booster shot in the butt. :D

doug maverick
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
well kung fu movies are making a omeback in the west again. but this time their actually going to be good. none of that wire fu garbage trash with actors who have no ability, mainly because its not cost effective to spend money on training someone for 6 months only to have them heavily doubled in the actual movie. mine as well just get the right person for the job on the outset. not suppose to say this buuttt... you know me i got a big mouth. i hear from a very reliable source that dreamworks is in serious talks with tony jaa about doing his first american film. he was actually going to apear in kingdoms but scheduling conflicts happened. so sssshhhhhh..... don't tell nobody.

GeneChing
06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
...Kung Fu Panda is all about that. Come on, now. It's Jack Black. Jackie has maybe a dozen lines tops. Click below to see Jack's kung fu!

Jack Black Busts Martial-Arts Moves At Fans' Request After 'Kung Fu Panda' Sneak Peek Week Screening (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1588429/20080531/story.jhtml)

'I did not live with the pandas. ... I just grew out my beard,' Black says of his preparation for the film.

By Shawn Adler

"You want me to do some kung fu?" Jack Black teased an excited audience member, who had stepped up to the mic looking for some real moves. "OK, just a taste."

The crowd came for a taste but wound up getting the full-course meal, complete with a kicking (and punching and twirling and jumping) dessert, as MTV's Sneak Peek Week continued with a screening of Black's "Kung Fu Panda" on Friday night at the Paramount Studios Lot.

The animated story of a panda waiter who winds up a master fighter was followed immediately after by a Q&A with Black himself.

"Important note," he added, sitting down after his demonstration and picking up his personal items from the table. "If someone's gonna fight you, remember to take out your wallet!"

Black's hands may be "fast as lightning" (when the heck did he take out his wallet?) but they were no match for his mouth, as audience members wanted to know everything from how much he was like Po the panda ("He's just a dreamer, a funny cuddly dreamer," Black said. "Like me!") to whether the actor would ever play a superhero (" 'Kung Fu Panda' is a superhero of sorts," he replied in mock indignation) to who would win in a fight between his characters from "Kung Fu Panda" and "Nacho Libre."

"My mind is bending around the concept of that one," Black laughed. "Because one is animated!"

One excited audience member, mildly flummoxed perhaps by that very concept, wanted to know if Black had used Method acting to play a panda.

"I don't know if I did any panda preparations," Black answered, grinning. "I did not live with the pandas. I still have never seen a panda at a zoo. I just grew out my beard."

With his moves on such prominent display, however, talk inevitably turned to more pressing matters. And those matters were kicking butt and taking names (though not necessarily the second).

Since Black now was the lead voice in a kung fu movie, which martial-arts superstar does he like most?

"Stephen Chow. His movies are incredible," Black said. "I also really like Yang Chow. Unrelated. It's a restaurant."

The last questioner asked about his feelings on now being in the martial-arts fraternity.

"Am I part of it, do you think I will be? Makes me think I've really got to learn kung fu now," Black giggled, pausing briefly, perhaps thinking about his earlier demonstration. "For real!"

"Kung Fu Panda," which co-stars the voice talents of Angelina Jolie, Seth Rogen and Dustin Hoffman, opens nationwide June 6.

doug maverick
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
...Kung Fu Panda is all about that. Come on, now. It's Jack Black. Jackie has maybe a dozen lines tops. Click below to see Jack's kung fu!

lol but this is an animated movie. so it doesn't count. simply because the characters are in an enviroment where they can conceivably do every movement they perform. its like the matrix.

GeneChing
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
I will add that Kung Fu Panda has a great artistic style. The animation is top notch, but we'd expect nothing else from a major Dreamworks release. They even do a fun job tinkering with the Dreamworks fishing off the moon logo. Good stuff. Go see it this weekend. You'll have a great time.

Call them martial artists (http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/movies/19367134.html?location_refer=Homepage)
The directors of the ambitious "Kung Fu Panda" break animation boundaries.
By COLIN COVERT, Star Tribune

It's unusual for an animated film to combine rambunctious physical comedy and the kind of painterly refinement that makes every frame suitable for display on a museum wall. But that's just what co-directors Mark Osborne and John Stevenson have achieved in "Kung Fu Panda." Although their backgrounds and sensibilities are quite different -- Osborne directed episodes of "SpongeBob SquarePants" and Weird Al Yankovic videos; Stevenson worked on "Shrek 2" and "Madagascar" -- as a team they have created a visually textured feature that pushes the boundaries of cartoon art.

The film's title may suggest a lampoon of martial arts movies, but the partners explained that their goal was to make an homage to Asian films that inspired them. After a frenetic opening sequence in the style of seizure-inducing anime, the film's look combines lyrical beauty with exuberant slapstick battles. The numerous fight sequences are choreographed as carefully as anything in a topflight martial arts film.

"We asked ourselves the question, what if Akira Kurosawa shot a Jerry Lewis film?" said Stevenson, a tall, ginger-haired Scot. "That made us feel that we could shoot a funny movie that would also be very beautiful and have great cinematography and composition, and reflective of principles in Asian art."

The film, following the adventures of a clumsy martial arts novice who succeeds and saves the day, is set in their own mythical version of China. "It's not set in any particular dynasty, but it is based very carefully and respectfully on Chinese art," Stevenson said. "It's not Asia World, it's very specifically China, just as it's very specifically kung fu and not tae kwon do or sumo or anything else. By making our choices as specific as we could, then hopefully you just accept that that's a real world and then you can forget about it and just follow the story of our main character."

GeneChing
06-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Jackie gets great billing in the credits, but Persall is right. He only has like a dozen lines, if even. I wonder how much he got paid for that.

'Kung Fu Panda' a funny parody of martial arts flicks (http://www.tampabay.com/features/movies/article605201.ece)
By Steve Persall, Times Film Critic
In print: Thursday, June 5, 2008

The world's greatest martial arts warrior can't wrap a Black Belt around his hefty waist. He doesn't have the eye of the tiger, more of a plush toy's pleasant gaze.

Meet Po the panda bear, and prepare to enjoy the most unique animated adventure since Surf's Up.

Kung Fu Panda is a dead-on replica of chop-socky cinema from Bruce Lee to Jet Li, with the usual moral lessons of loyalty and risk given a childish touch. First-time directors Mark Osborne and John Stevenson computer-generate an ancient China setting to rival anything noted director Zhang Yimou builds for real, populated by mystical, butt-kicking critters like Po.

Except Po doesn't easily wear the chosen one's crown. He's actually lazy as pandas are prone to be, and clumsy when he decides to move. There's no more perfect voice than Jack Black's for a boisterous bear with high hopes and low chances of reaching them. This performance ranks among animation's finest: silly and solemn when required yet never to either extreme.

Po is sleeping when the movie begins, introduced by his manga-influenced dream of meeting his heroes, the Furious Five kung fu masters. Not likely, since Po is resigned to working forever in his father's noodle house.

Fate offers the chance: The Furious Five are making a rare public appearance to decide which one will be selected Dragon Warrior. The position entails a showdown later with villainous white leopard Tai Lung (Ian McShane), a former pupil of the Furious Five's spiritual leader Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman). The secret weapon to defeat him can be attained only by the Dragon Warrior, and Tai Lung wants it first.

Po literally crashes the ceremony in a fireworks-fueled fiasco, shocked when the wisest teacher, Oogway (Randall Duk Kim), anoints him as the next Dragon Warrior. Shifu is determined to train Po so strenuously he'll quit. The Furious Five are perturbed that this graceless outsider has been blessed, especially Tigress (Angelina Jolie), who coveted the honor.

Kung Fu Panda proceeds in predictable fashion, with Po buckling down, Shifu loosening up and the now-Furious Six squaring off with Tai Lung. The movie is almost too reverential of classic martial arts movies that often became tedious while punches weren't being thrown. But every frame is gorgeously designed, the arch dialogue delivered with commitment or comical flair.

A better cast of voices can't be imagined but could be better exploited. Nobody can steal any show from Black, but Hoffman gives him a run for the funny. Jolie gets the tiger's share of dialogue among the Furious Five; Jackie Chan's Monkey speaks so seldom that his casting is more of an inside joke, while Seth Rogen's Mantis is unrecognizable.

Kung Fu Panda winds up as a fresh take on a familiar moral of being true to yourself, never getting too wrapped up in technical beauty to simply be fun. The martial arts motif is wonderfully suited to animation since those flicks were cartoons of sorts anyway. Why it never happened before is a mystery; that it will happen again is a given.

Zenshiite
06-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Saw it, loved it.

Took my 2 year old with me. It was his first movie. He loved it too. He also loved the trailer for Star Wars: The Clone Wars. That'll likely be his second movie. When he saw the lightsabers in that he shoulded "lightsabers!"

He was also punching and kicking and shouting "kung fu panda!" during the movie. Hahaha.

SPJ
06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
just seen it, kids would like it.

sort of zen ny, too.

the secret of secret ingredient of secret recipe is that there is no secret.

the secret of the dragon scroll

--

the secret of unlimited power

is the secret of power to believe in yourself.

--

if you believe.

===

:):cool:

Oso
06-08-2008, 05:55 PM
just saw it today with several of my students as a school outing

it was hilarious, best movie I've seen in a while.

now, whenver I hit my students in sparring I will be saying 'skiddoosh' ! :D

TenTigers
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I took my kids class to see it-they loved it! I also enjoyed it as well. My kids are too mature for animated cartoons, so I have nobody to see them with, so this outing was more for me than anyone else. I had the idea to kill two birds with one stone by having the kids wear their uniforms to the theatre and pass out guest passes-but best laid plans...the theatre near the school had two showings-one too early, the second too late, so we ended up going to a theatre that was further away. Oh well. But we all had a great time. The movie was funny and the scenery was beautiful-even though it was animated.
I also used to watch Sagwa for the same reasons!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hJqniXFYbH0

MightyB
06-09-2008, 06:12 AM
The Awesomeness is for free my friends!

Great movie-

If I had a kung fu school with a kid's class- I'd be leaving flyers in the theatre or I'd get a commercial 'cuz if this movie doesn't spark a renewed interest in Kung Fu- nothing will.

GeneChing
06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
KUNG FU PANDA: Big Bear Cat was "PO-fect" (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=771) by Dr. Craig Reid. This was posted Friday when it opened, but I was at the Zhang San Feng Festival (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50546).

So as not to repeat myself a third time (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=866404&postcount=5), I'll add KFP's box office, but of course, we all knew it was going to take this weekend beforehand, right?

Panda kicks Sandler at U.S. box office (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080608/film_nm/boxoffice_dc)
By Dean Goodman Sun Jun 8, 3:55 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Moviegoers across North America were in a fighting mood during the weekend, cheering the family cartoon "Kung Fu Panda" to the top spot at a box office packed with hits.

DreamWorks Animation's Jack Black comedy about a panda who dreams of martial arts glory handily earned an estimated $60 million during its first three days, distributor Paramount Pictures said on Sunday. The firms had hoped for an opening in the high $40 million range.

But it was not a complete knockout. Columbia Pictures' Adam Sandler comedy "You Don't Mess with the Zohan," in which the comedian plays an Israeli commando-turned-New York hairdresser, opened at No. 2 with $40 million. It also beat forecasts of a debut in the mid- to high $30 million range.

But observers said top honors really could have gone either way. In one corner, "Kung Fu Panda" was powered by rave reviews and an underserved family audience; in the other, Sandler could count on young male fans unlikely to be swayed by negative notices from puzzled critics.

As it turned out, both played beyond their traditional audiences. DreamWorks Animation said 71 percent of the audience was older than 17, while Columbia said women accounted for 51 percent of the "Zohan" crowd.

'SEX' LOSES STEAM

Last weekend's champ, New Line Cinema's romantic comedy "Sex and the City," fell to No. 4 with $21.3 million, a massive 63 percent drop from its surprisingly strong opening weekend. Sales to date stand at $99.3 million for the big-screen adaptation of HBO's fashion-and-relationship series.

Just ahead of it was "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" with $22.8 million, down one place. The total for the Paramount-distributed adventure rose to $253 million after three weekends.

The strong lineup boosted overall sales, said tracking firm Media By Numbers. The top 12 films earned $172 million, up five percent from last weekend, and up 32 percent from the year-ago period, when "Ocean's Thirteen" opened at No. 1 with $36 million.

"Kung Fu Panda" ranks as DreamWorks Animation's third best opening, after 2007's "Shrek the Third" ($122 million) and 2004's "Shrek 2" ($108 million). The three-day tally was a considerable improvement over the studio's most recent film, "Bee Movie" ($38 million), which came out last November.

In addition to Black, whose character Po is a would-be Dragon Warrior, the voice cast includes Dustin Hoffman as a Yoda-type Svengali, and Ian McShane as a villainous kung fu master.

It cost about $130 million to make, and the studio estimated it would spend an additional $125 million to $150 million to market worldwide.

The movie "lends itself to additional chapters," said DreamWorks Animation marketing head Anne Globe, but she said the studio had not yet decided about a sequel.

For Sandler, "Zohan" vies with "Click" as his fourth best opening. That comedy also opened to $40 million, in 2006. Final data for this weekend will be issued on Monday. His record is "The Longest Yard," which opened to $47.6 million in 2005.

Sandler buffed up for his role as a fleet-footed commando who can twist his adversaries into pretzels, but really wants to style hair for old ladies and ravish them afterwards. The film cost about $90 million to make, Columbia said.

Viacom Inc-owned Paramount distributes DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc productions. Columbia Pictures is a unit of Sony Corp. New Line is a division of Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros. Pictures.

diego
06-10-2008, 07:33 PM
It's a laugh riot - as entertaining as Shrek, but about kung fu. What more could you want from this? It has great potential to give kung fu that needed booster shot in the butt. :D

My friend took me to it and then I took my niece to it the next day :) will be copping on DVD and it was cool as hell to hear kung fu said so many times in a room full of white people:D

Jimbo
06-12-2008, 12:21 AM
I really enjoyed it. I really took a liking to Po, and esp. liked the masterful body language and facial expressions of the characters.

On a side note, the Tai Lang character sorta seems inspired by the villains portrayed by Hwang In-Sik (in The Young Master); Hwang Jang-Lee (in Lackey and the Lady Tiger); and Chang Shan (Shaolin vs. Lama).

冠木侍
06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
This movie seems to be a hit with people who are familiar with martial arts or who are just fans...especially the kids. One of the negatives I hear have to do with how Dreamworks' movies don't compare with Pixar but that has nothing to do with it.

I saw it with some younger students. All the adults (myself included) and the kids really liked the movie. I was afraid they were going to mess it up because it deals with a topic that has been portrayed (sometimes incorrectly) in the media for a long time now. But they stayed true to the feeling of Kung fu I think.

After learning about all the research and development that went into makig it (not just animating and the voice-acting, I'm talking about the hands on research), it makes me appreciate it even more. The animators took lessons (well it was Wushu) and there was an actual choreographer for the animated fights.

Jack Black was great. His timing and comedic flair added so much to the movie. Dustin Hoffman's Master was a good antagonist to Black's comedy. Angelina's sexy voice gave Tigress some more ammo to go with her moves. I was expecting some more funny lines from Jackie but it seems the writers couldn't find anything funny for him to say. What a shame.

The fights were fun to watch and Tai Lung made for a kick-a** bad guy. I just hope that people will explain to the little ones that Mantis is not one of the original Five Animals of Shaolin.

**I could've done without the rendition of the song "Kung Fu Fghting" though.

I would totally recommend this movie.

SimonM
06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Saw it last night.

My one complaint is that Jackie Chan's character was all but mute. I think the only character with fewer lines was the snake.

冠木侍
06-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Saw it last night.

My one complaint is that Jackie Chan's character was all but mute. I think the only character with fewer lines was the snake.

Yeah, one of the things that irked me a bit about the movie. I guess he had no practice. He didn't even voice his own character on Jackie Chan Adventures :(

Old Noob
06-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Took my son to see it in IMAX this weekend. Pretty sweet. True about Jackie. I didn't even know he was monkey until the credits.

冠木侍
06-23-2008, 06:41 PM
IMAX...is it really the worth the $15 (?) to see it in that format? How did your son receive the movie? I think it was successful in hitting it's target demographic and then some.

Old Noob
06-24-2008, 05:22 AM
IMAX...is it really the worth the $15 (?) to see it in that format? How did your son receive the movie? I think it was successful in hitting it's target demographic and then some.

Fair questions. My son loved it, though he probably would have loved it just as much in the regular format. He's four now and just old enough to hear hype about something before he sees it and to be excited about it. So he's been asking to see it for a bit and would have been happy either way. The IMAX was really more for me. I thought it was pretty sweet.

GeneChing
06-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Sichuan is the home of pandas. We had a huge Kung Fu Panda standee at our Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=869433). Twenty kids ain't much, given the magnitude of the situation (and that they have to make it all the way to Beijing) but the gesture is nice.

Funny Panda Helps Ease Quake Stress (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/06/23/1261@372062.htm)
2008-06-23 19:57:51

A Beijing cinema on Sunday invited 20 schoolchildren from quake-hit Sichuan Province to see "Kung Fu Panda."

The students, aged 16 to 19, were transferred to a Beijing school earlier this month. They all come from Mianzhu, one of the hardest-hit cities during the May 12 earthquake.

At the Capital Cinema, the young audience constantly burst out into bouts of laughter as the adorable panda Po strived to become a kung-fu fighter in the film.

Comedy films are a wellspring for happiness, and that is especially true for young earthquake survivors, who are vulnerable to psychological problems, Beijing Youth Daily quoted an unnamed psychologist as saying.

In light of that, the Capital Cinema has announced that it would offer free entry to the Sichuan students throughout their summer vacation.

doug maverick
06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
i heard that some panda artist was protesting this movie in sichuan, saying it wasn't what people needed now. but was but it back fired on him as the majority of the people there said this is exactly what they needed. i'm paraphrasing ofcourse.

GeneChing
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I guess all those boycotts in China were unfounded.

Kung Fu Panda" Breaks Box Office Record of Animation (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/07/08/1821s378282.htm)
2008-07-08 18:32:57

Dreamworks' animated film "Kung Fu Panda" has raked in 135 million yuan in three weeks and become the first animation to surpass box office revenues of 100 million yuan in the Chinese mainland.

The Beijing Morning Post quoted Huaxia Films, Chinese distribution agency of "Kung Fu Panda", as saying the film made 38 million yuan in the first week in China and 58 million yuan in the second week.

No other animation has ever done so well in the first two weeks in this country, the report said.

The next question is whether this giant panda's box office revenue can exceed the 200 million yuan mark.

冠木侍
07-09-2008, 06:51 PM
This movie is still going strong in the domestic box office but it seems to be over-shadowed by the recently released Wall-E.

One of the most under-rated movies of the summer. I think people thought it was going to be some bad attempt by DreamWorks. Shows how much the average person knows.

Interesting numbers Gene. Usually I don't hear about domestic movies doing well in China (well, maybe that's just me) but I'm glad to hear it is going strong.

doug maverick
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
This movie is still going strong in the domestic box office but it seems to be over-shadowed by the recently released Wall-E.

One of the most under-rated movies of the summer. I think people thought it was going to be some bad attempt by DreamWorks. Shows how much the average person knows.

Interesting numbers Gene. Usually I don't hear about domestic movies doing well in China (well, maybe that's just me) but I'm glad to hear it is going strong.

don't know who your listening too, but you should stop. american films usually do well in china. even the departed did well in china.

SimonM
07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I really enjoyed it. I really took a liking to Po, and esp. liked the masterful body language and facial expressions of the characters.

On a side note, the Tai Lang character sorta seems inspired by the villains portrayed by Hwang In-Sik (in The Young Master); Hwang Jang-Lee (in Lackey and the Lady Tiger); and Chang Shan (Shaolin vs. Lama).

Not to forget the crazy master in chains who plays villain to the second half of Swordsman II.

LoneTiger108
07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Just when you thought Kung Fu movies had turned the corner into respectability, along comes this:

Black To Voice Kung Fu Panda

D reamWorks Animation is developing Kung Fu Panda, an animated film featuring the voice of Jack Black, which is set for 2008, Variety reported.

The film will be influenced by cartoonish live-action movies like Kung Fu Hustle and will star Black as the voice of a lazy panda prophesied to save the Valley of Peace, the trade paper reported.

The film will be directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Melissa Cobb will produce, from a screenplay by Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab.

I recently went to a private screening at Paramount in London, where a freelance writer interviewed me.

Here's his take on what I was babbling about!

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2289517,00.html

冠木侍
07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
don't know who your listening too, but you should stop. american films usually do well in china. even the departed did well in china.

I already added a disclaimer. Save your sarcasm.

GeneChing
07-16-2008, 09:43 AM
...then again, he could be on the plant. Didn't Japan bust McCartney for that? ;)

And some one refresh me - how many lines did Lucy have in KFP to define her character? :rolleyes:

Kung fu fightin' (http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment-arts/view/kung-fu-fightin)
By Chris Betros
TOKYO —

Hugable, loveable and squeezable. Those were the three characteristics of Po, the panda star of the animated film “Kung Fu Panda.” So producers had to find an actor with those same qualities. “That’s me. I’m the only such human being on the plant,” quipped Jack Black during a visit to Tokyo with co-star Lucy Liu, director Mark Osborne and DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg (making his 91st visit to these shores).

A typical DreamWorks animation extravaganza, “Kung Fu Panda” debuted at this year’s Cannes Film Festival and received a standing ovation from the 2,000-strong audience. With voice talents such as Black, Liu, Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Ian McShane and Jackie Chan, “Kung Fu Panda” has been a big hit all around the world (including China), which has been very gratifying, said Black.

Set in ancient China, “Kung Fu Panda” revolves around a clumsy panda named Po (Black), who is being groomed by his father to take over the family noodle shop but secretly aspires to be a kung-fu warrior. To his surprise, Po is revealed as the chosen one to defend the valley. But the villainous leopard (McShane) doesn’t agree and Po must get into shape for the final battle, under the tutelage of temple master (Hoffman), Tigress (Jolie), Viper (Liu), Monkey (Chan) and other assorted characters.

Most of the cast underwent six hours of martial arts training (for no particular reason), the end result being that they can pretend to do kung fu, said Black, 39. “This is my best pose,” he said, jumping up onto the table and showing some moves. “Everytime I do this, I need a massage.”

Liu, 39, making her 5th visit to Japan, said the most challenging aspect of the film was working in a room without other actors. “Usually you get energy from other actors, but when you are recording on your own, it is not that easy,” she said. “You have to put your faith in the director and hope he lets you be as free and open as possible. But I really jumped at the chance to do this movie. My parents, who live in Taiwan, don’t really know what I do, so this is one movie they can embrace because the backdrop is where they are from.”

Black, who was last in Japan five years ago for “School of Rock,” said he loved the chance to be able to improvise in a way actors are normally not allowed to do. “All the great animation films in recent years have been ones where the voice actors could flex their improv muscles. Just look at Robin Williams as the genie in ‘Aladdin’ or Eddie Murphy as the donkey in ‘Shrek.’ It’s a thrill to be able to work in that style.”

Black, known at time for his frenetic style of acting, said he got some useful tips from Hoffman. “He taught me the value of whispering a line rather than screaming it out. I think that along with the accolades the film has been getting worldwide, the best memories I have are the day-to-day fun we had doing the vocal performances.”

Black, who balances his movie career with his band Tenacious D, already has three new movies in the pipeline, and has just signed on for “School of Rock 2: America Rocks,” in which his character goes on a cross-country road trip with a group of summer school students, teaching them about the history of rock and roll and examining the roots of various music genres.

Meanwhile, Liu said she would love to make a third “Charlie’s Angels movie,” but is happy to do more animation. “It’s nice not having to concentrate on my hair, make-up and wardrobe. I can just focus on the character.”

GeneChing
09-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Maybe Jackie and Lucy will get a few more lines...

Did you like Kung Fu Panda (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/2008/09/kung-fu-panda-a.html), the animated martial arts farce that showed Jack Black's true calling might be acting/emoting in cartoons? Better question, did your kids like it?

Chances are they did. Loved it. It was a huge hit for Dreamworks this past summer. And when it comes to video Nov. 9 (You KNOW you have to have it.), it will be bundled with a direct-to-DVD sequel-prequel titled The Secret of the Furious Five. Dreamworks has been doing stuff like this, adding a penguin featurette to Madagascar a couple of years back, for instance.

GeneChing
01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
....WALL-E is my bet.

Kung Fu Panda is up for Best Animated Feature. As much as I loved Kung Fu Panda (I own it, or rather I should say Santa gave it to my kid :rolleyes:), I think WALL-E (which I also...um, which Santa also gave to my kid :o) is a stronger Oscar candidate overall. But in the end, I'm very happy to see the words "Kung Fu" in the nominee list. It's sort of the yang to the yin of the razzies (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49598).

Go Slumdog Millionaire!

The nominees are... (http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/nominees)

sanjuro_ronin
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
....WALL-E is my bet.

Kung Fu Panda is up for Best Animated Feature. As much as I loved Kung Fu Panda (I own it, or rather I should say Santa gave it to my kid :rolleyes:), I think WALL-E (which I also...um, which Santa also gave to my kid :o) is a stronger Oscar candidate overall. But in the end, I'm very happy to see the words "Kung Fu" in the nominee list. It's sort of the yang to the yin of the razzies (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49598).

Go Slumdog Millionaire!

The nominees are... (http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/nominees)

I would agree, Wall-E was superb.

GeneChing
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I still think the Oscar will go to WALL-E

"Kung Fu Panda" sweeps Annie Awards (http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCATRE51109D20090202)
Sun Feb 1, 2009 9:31pm EST
By Gregg Kilday

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Kung Fu Panda" pulled out all its martial arts moves at the 36th annual Annie Awards, where it was named best animated feature.

The DreamWorks Animation feature dominated Friday's awards ceremony at UCLA's Royce Hall in Los Angeles, presented by ASIFA-Hollywood, the Los Angeles chapter of the International Animated Film Society.

"Panda" won the top prize over such other nominees as the critical favorites "WALL-E" and "Waltz With Bashir" and swept the feature film categories with 10 trophies, topping Pixar's "Ratatouille" run last year, when it earned nine Annies, including best feature.

Additionally, DWA's "Secrets of the Furious Five," a 24-minute short that appears on the "Panda" DVD, took four awards in the TV production/shortform categories, and Activision's "Kung Fu Panda" game won the award for best video game.

Since the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences set up its best animated feature category in 2001, the Annie winner has gone on to score the animation Oscar every year except for two years ago, when the Annies opted for "Cars" but the Academy chose "Happy Feet."

Rounding out the top prize recipients, Aardman Animations' "Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death" was named best animated short subject.

ShadowMachine's "Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode II" was honored as best animated TV production, while Nickelodeon's "Avatar: The Last Airbender" won the prize for best TV production produced for children.

"Futurama: The Beast With a Billion Backs," from the Curiosity Co. and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, was victorious in the home entertainment category, and Duck Studios' "Heart" ad for United Airlines was the TV commercial prize winner.

he "Panda" awards parade to the winner's podium continued throughout the evening. It included a directing award for John Stevenson and Mark Osborne, writing honors for Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, animated effects for Le-Ming Lawrence Lee, character animation for James Baxter and storyboarding for Jen Yuh Nelson.

Dustin Hoffman, who plays kung fu master Shifu in "Panda," earned the award for voice acting in a feature film.

Nico Marlet took home two awards for character design, for "Panda" and "Secrets." Tang Heng also was a double winner for production design on both projects. And Hans Zimmer and John Powell also were recognized twice, for "Panda's" music and the "Secrets" score, where they were joined by Henry Jackman.

KFP did well in China too.

Secrets of success behind "Kung Fu Panda" (http://www.cctv.com/program/cultureexpress/20090131/101178.shtml)
Source: CCTV.com
01-31-2009 10:11

Last year, nine movies grossed over one hundred million yuan at the Chinese box office. One of the biggest winners is Kung Fu Panda, a Hollywood take on China's martial arts tradition and the beloved furry bear.

Po is a panda who works in a noodle restaurant. He is a kung fu fanatic with secret dreams of becoming a grand master. In true Hollywood style, Po's long-cherished dream eventually comes true, despite his excessive weight and comic clumsiness. As the Dragon Warrior, he defeats the archenemy of the valley and saves all the animals.

While the movie was created by Dreamworks in the United States, the key elements - the panda and kungfu both come from China. From costumes and design to music, Kung Fu Panda makes a point of presenting the charm of Chinese culture. Its creators worked hard to make sure they got it right. And the results, such as the Furious Five, have met with acclaim in China.

With this sincere attitude to Chinese culture, it is no wonder that Kung Fu Panda has done so well in China.

Editor:Liu Fang

GeneChing
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I got the double DVD release (or I should say my kid got it from Santa). It should have been longer.

Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman Return in DreamWorks Animation's SECRETS OF THE FURIOUS FIVE, the Annie Award-Winning Follow-Up to Kung Fu Panda (http://sev.prnewswire.com/film-motion-picture/20090205/LA6740405022009-1.html)

Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman Return in DreamWorks Animation's SECRETS OF THE FURIOUS FIVE, the Annie Award-Winning Follow-Up to Kung Fu Panda

Packed with Special Features, New Adventure Arrives for the First Time as a Single DVD on March 24, 2009

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Feb. 5 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Discover the origins of Kung Fu Panda's unforgettable menagerie of martial arts masters in SECRETS OF THE FURIOUS FIVE from DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. (NYSE: DWA) , revealed as a single DVD for the first time ever from Paramount Home Entertainment on March 24, 2009, following its broadcast debut on NBC on February 26. This delightful adventure won four prestigious Annie Awards for Best Character Animation, Character Design, Music and Production Design in an Animated Television Production or Short Form, following the path of Kung Fu Panda, which took home an astounding 10 awards, including animation's highest honor, Best Animated Feature. SECRETS OF THE FURIOUS FIVE once again features the voices of Jack Black as the heroic and beloved Kung Fu-practicing panda, Po, and Dustin Hoffman as his teacher, Master Shifu, a role that won him an Annie Award for Voice Acting. The SECRETS OF THE FURIOUS FIVE single-disc DVD arrives just in time for Easter gift giving and packs a punch with interactive bonus features that add to the awesomeness of this hilarious animated adventure.

With more of the action, humor and Kung Fu Panda characters that charmed moviegoers worldwide, SECRETS OF THE FURIOUS FIVE delves into the history of the fearless defenders of the Valley of Peace as they perform thrilling feats of bravery in exciting exploits that also deliver heartwarming life lessons. This time, Dragon Warrior Po faces what may be his greatest challenge: teaching a class of beginning Kung Fu students. Drawing on his encyclopedic Kung Fu fan-boy knowledge, Po captivates his rambunctious young scholars with the early tales of Monkey, Tigress, Mantis, Viper and Crane, revealing how they unlocked important teachings about the art and ideals of Kung Fu, including patience, courage, confidence, discipline and compassion.

DreamWorks Animation's SECRETS OF THE FURIOUS FIVE Synopsis

Skadoosh! The story continues! He may have defeated Tai Lung, but Dragon Warrior Po (Jack Black) must now face Shifu's (Dustin Hoffman) biggest challenge, teaching Kung Fu to a group of eager bunnies from the Valley of Peace. Although Po is now able to face the fiercest of villains, he is completely out of his element in the classroom. To gain the unruly group's attention, he leans on the one thing closest to his heart; his knowledge of Kung Fu lore. He tells the students the stories of how each of the five unlocked an important lesson which allowed them to become "excellent" and put them on the road to being the Kung Fu masters they are today. In the end, Po will see that through sharing these stories, he has taught the bunnies much more important lessons than he ever could have through Kung Fu exercises.

Zenshiite
02-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Secrets of the Furious Five is pretty great wude stuff.

My son watches that almost as much as he watches Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E.

BrokenTitanium
02-07-2009, 02:30 AM
I read recently that there will be a Kung Fu Panda 2 sometime on 2010 or 2011.

GeneChing
02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I would be overjoyed to see KFP take it, but my money is still on W-E.

'Kung Fu Panda' vs. 'WALL-E" for animation Oscar (http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/exploreli/ny-etanim6039286feb19,0,3581586.story)
BY RAFER GUZMÁN | rafer.guzman@newsday.com
February 19, 2009

Art versus commerce, critical taste versus popular opinion - not the issues usually associated with animated cartoons. But these are the undercurrents of this year's Oscar race for best animated feature, making the category a bit more exciting than usual.

In June, Disney/Pixar released "WALL-E," about a droopy-eyed, trash-compacting robot who saves the Earth from a polluting mega-corporation. It became a massive favorite among critics, who compared it to Charlie Chaplin's silent masterpieces (its first 40 minutes are nearly wordless) and crowned it the year's best film in the Village Voice's recent critics' poll. Until recently, "WALL-E" seemed the clear front-runner for the animation Oscar, to be announced Sunday.

But then came last month's Annie Awards for animation, a low-profile but important honor. And the top prize went to - "Kung Fu Panda"?

That DreamWorks Animation product, about a chubby panda (voiced by Jack Black) who becomes an unlikely martial-arts master, received decent reviews but became a major crowd-pleaser. Worldwide, "Kung Fu Panda" outgrossed "WALL-E" by about $100 million, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

How important are the Annies? Since the Academy Awards debuted the animation category in 2002, the Annies have predicted the Oscar pick every year but one. With that in mind, here's how the deck is stacking up:

MOVIE "Bolt"

THE DEAL With a surprisingly effective John Travolta as the voice of a cuddly mutt who believes he's a superhero, this Disney film was arguably as adorable as "Kung Fu Panda" and certainly more of a tearjerker. But this movie would have to exert a superheroic effort to win.

MOVIE "WALL-E"

THE DEAL The adorable, mopey little robot known as Waste Allocation Load Lifter-Earth Class, may find himself tossed onto Oscar's trash heap.

MOVIE "Kung Fu Panda"

THE DEAL Expect gracious applause if this cute but conventional movie wins on Sunday. Now that the Annies have spoken, only contrarians would bet against this one.

冠木侍
02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Funny, I came across this article last night online.

I haven't seen Wall-E yet.

It would be cool if Kung Fu Panda comes home with the prize but it seems like it was an underdog to begin with. People didn't seem that interested in it when it first came out, even though it ended up grossing more money.

Disney/Pixar seem to have a brand name that catches peoples' attention, and with good reason. I'm gonna see if I can watch Wall-E this weekend before the big day on Sunday.

GeneChing
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
We've announced our winners (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=930092) to our recent DVD sweepstakes for Secrets of the Furious Five DVDs.

GeneChing
05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
There will surely be more on this next week. As you know, we were very active with quake relief (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50969). We are still collecting donations for Martial Arts for Quake Victims through DVD sales (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd-ca112.html)

Quake survivor "Panda" bounds into China's theaters (http://english.sina.com/entertainment/p/2009/0507/239750.html)
2009-05-08 03:56:50 GMT2009-05-08 11:56:50 (Beijing Time) SINA.com
Disney's "Trail of the Panda" will hit the screen on the Chinese mainland on May 8. (Photo: chinadaily.com.cn)

Hoping a cuddly black-and-white national treasure will again produce Chinese box-office gold, Walt Disney Studios is releasing "Trail of the Panda" here Friday (May 8).

The release precedes by days the first anniversary of the deadly earthquake that uprooted the endangered species' home. It follows by almost a year the record-breaking box-office run of DreamWorks Animation's "Kung Fu Panda," which earned more than $14.7 million in China last summer.

Disney's second Chinese-language film, "Trail" unspools on 900 of the country's roughly 4,000 screens via Huaxia Film Distribution.

The story of an orphaned boy who saves a twin panda cub separated from its mother, "Trail" was nearly ruined last spring. As shooting wound down in the Wolong Giant Panda Nature Reserve in southwest China's Sichuan province, an 8.0 quake struck May 12, killing more than 70,000 people in the area.

Twenty-eight members of the film's crew abandoned film and equipment and hiked through the mountains for three days before they were rescued by the Chinese military.

The six pandas used to play the film's star, Pang Pang ("Chubby" in Chinese) survived, but the panda that portrayed the mother of the twin cubs was killed.

"We were toward the tail end of the shoot, with maybe five days to go, when the earth began to shake and just didn't stop," said Jennifer Liu, CEO of Beijing-based Ying Dong Media, which made the film for $5 million. A former Disney employee, Liu co-wrote and produced the film.

Inspired by a true story, the Yu Zhong-directed film was co-written and produced by Jean Chaolpin, creator of "Inspector Gadget."

CELEBRATING BEAUTY

At Wednesday's Beijing premiere, Chalopin said he hopes the film "will celebrate the beautiful place, Sichuan, and these beautiful animals."

Although Chinese critics praised "Kung Fu Panda" for its story and animation, DreamWorks was accused of trying to cash in on China's national treasure and there was a short-lived attempt at a boycott.

The "Trail" film crew lived with the pandas and their caretakers for four months under strict supervision. The penalty in China for panda poaching is public execution.

With much of the mountainous Sichuan scenery they'd filmed destroyed, the filmmakers turned to editor David Richardson for help. "We had to come up with a different way to edit," Liu said. "It was a task David made easy by stitching together what we'd been unable to get after the quake."

Shot in Mandarin, "Panda" was dubbed into Cantonese for south China moviegoers and for its Hong Kong release. Depending on its performance at the Chinese box office, Disney will dub the film into other languages for distribution overseas, Liu said.

Disney's first Chinese-language film, the 2007 coming-of-age story "Secret of the Magic Gourd" -- a live action/animation hybrid -- was a co-production with Hong Kong's Centro Digital Pictures and the China Film Group. It opened on 300 screens in China and earned more than 21 million yuan ($3.1 million).

"Secret" won the best children's film prize at China's 16th annual Golden Rooster Awards and was released stateside on DVD in January, with "High School Musical" star Corbin Bleu providing voice work.

GeneChing
05-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I caught an episode of The Penguins of Madagascar in a pizza parlor while vacationing recently near Yosemite. It was mediocre. I thought the penguins were hilarious in M1, played out in M2, and very disappointing in the Nick show. The King Lemur remained consistently funny throughout, even though it's not really Borat for the Nick show. I can hardly wait for Bruno (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51438).

‘Kung Fu Panda’ to Become a Series on Nickelodeon (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/arts/television/14drea.html?_r=1&ref=arts)
DreamWorks Animation and Paramount Pictures
Article Tools Sponsored By
By BROOKS BARNES
Published: May 13, 2009

"The Penguins of Madagascar," based on characters from the film, "Madagascar," has been a hit for Nickelodeon since debuting in March.

Two months ago Nickelodeon, the cable channel, introduced “The Penguins of Madagascar,” a series about the sop****ric sphenisciformes made famous by DreamWorks on the big screen. The result was an overnight hit, a rarity in the hotly competitive children’s entertainment business.

In just six weeks the series is reaching nearly 13 million viewers age 2 to 11 a week, according to Nielsen Media Research. Among cartoons only “SpongeBob SquarePants” delivers stronger ratings for Nickelodeon.

Now the channel is adding “Kung Fu Panda: The Series,” a program built around the DreamWorks smash film from last June. The series, planned for a premiere early next year, will chronicle the further adventures of Po, a portly bear and martial arts master.

“The great thing about working with DreamWorks is that they’ve spent as many as seven years developing these characters,” said Brown Johnson, president of Nickelodeon Animation. “We could hit the ground running.”

Some parents might find “The Penguins of Madagascar” crass — bodily functions figure prominently in the humor — but DreamWorks is thrilled with the creative integrity of the series, said Ann Daly, the studio’s chief operating officer. Critics have been generally supportive.

“We love that television is a way to keep these characters alive with kids every day,” she said.

Jeffrey Katzenberg, the studio’s chief executive, told analysts on April 28 that “a very ambitious” merchandising line tied to “The Penguins of Madagascar” will hit stores in the first quarter of 2010.

DreamWorks has a tortured history with television. In 2004 it produced “Father of the Pride” for NBC, an expensive show modeled on the Las Vegas performers Siegfried & Roy and their menagerie. The program, which had its debut shortly after Roy Horn was mauled by a tiger, was such a flop that Hollywood still winces at its mention.

This time DreamWorks is letting a more experienced hand take the lead. The animation and promotion is handled almost entirely by Nickelodeon, though the channel works closely with the creators of the films.

“The Penguins of Madagascar” stands out in part because Nickelodeon has struggled to develop new hit animation series to match the blockbuster success of “SpongeBob SquarePants” and “Dora the Explorer.” Among live-action programs Nickelodeon has fallen far behind the Disney Channel, though “iCarly” is showing juggernaut potential.

As with “The Penguins of Madagascar,” the “Kung Fu Panda” series will not feature the same celebrity voices as the film. Rather, cheaper sound-alikes will be hired. Jack Black, though, will likely return to voice Po in a big-screen sequel that is planned for 2011; the “Madagascar” franchise will have a third film ready for theaters in 2012.

GeneChing
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm so glad KFP was such a financial success. It opens the door for more.

UPDATE 2-DreamWorks' Q2 beats Street, shares jump (http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN2813087620090728)
Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:09pm EDT

* Q2 EPS 30 cents, rev beats expectations

* Kung Fu Panda, home entertainment boosted sales

* Shares up 2.9 percent (Adds analyst's comment, more details on earnings)

By Sue Zeidler

LOS ANGELES, July 28 (Reuters) - DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc (DWA.O) posted better-than-expected results, propelled by the strength of animated film "Kung Fu Panda" on pay TV and DVDs and video games, sending its shares higher.

"Kung Fu Panda," DreamWorks' 2008 summer release, contributed about $32.7 million of revenue in the quarter, mainly on domestic pay television. It drove sales of about 15.2 million DVDs worldwide through the end of the quarter.

Its other animated title, "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa," released in the fall of 2008, contributed $26.1 million of revenue in the latest quarter.

DreamWorks' second-quarter revenue fell to $132 million from $141.5 million, but surpassed the average Wall Street forecast of $117.5 million, according to Reuters Estimates.

"The company's getting more and more and more ancillary revenues from things other than its films, such as video games, Broadway and television, which is why I like this company," said Michael Pachter, analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities.

Shares of DreamWorks rose 3 percent to $29.50, after initially rising as much as 7.6 percent in after-hours trade from a regular close of $28.68.

DreamWorks posted net income of $25.6 million, or 30 cents per share, versus net income of $27.5 million, or 30 cents a share a year earlier, when results were also boosted by the theatrical release of "Kung Fu Panda."

DreamWorks also said on Tuesday it had amended its video game agreement with Activision (ATVI.O), to recognize some guaranteed payments for previously released game titles, including "Monsters vs. Aliens". The amended agreement contributed $24 million of revenue and about 10 cents per share in the quarter, it said.

Overall, "Monsters vs. Aliens", released to theaters in March, contributed $10.3 million of revenue to the quarter, primarily due to the Activision agreement.

It said "Monsters vs. Aliens" has grossed approximately $198 million at the domestic box office, bringing its worldwide box office total to over $377 million to date.

Analyst have said "Monsters vs. Aliens" delivered a bit less than expected on the international side. Many had been looking for overseas receipts of about $250 million. (Reporting by Susan Zeidler; editing by Leslie Gevirtz)

GeneChing
11-09-2009, 10:42 AM
There's a preview video - follow the link.

Nov 08, 2009
An exclusive peek inside 'Kung Fu Panda World' (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2009/11/an-exclusive-peek-inside-kung-fu-panda-world/1)
05:22 PM

DreamWorks Animation is busy creating Kung Fu Panda World, a new online virtual world for kids (target ages: 8-12) that is inspired by the movie Kung Fu Panda. Children can meet their friends on the site, which runs in standard Web browsers, and chat, explore and play games together.

Developers plan to launch Kung Fu Panda World early next year and have a two-year plan of evolution and activities for the destination. That makes sense as there's a sequel in the works, Kung Fu Panda: Kaboom of Doom, out June 3, 2011.

Those interested in the site can log onto www.kungfupandaworld.com and sign up for progress updates. Each Wednesday a new video is posted revealing more kung fu knowledge about what kids can expect to experience when it goes live.

By Mike Snider

GeneChing
01-12-2010, 11:00 AM
There's more on the Russian Shaolin Martial Arts Learning Center (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=983109#post983109)here.

A Russian New Year with Kung Fu Panda (http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90853/6864361.html)
14:00, January 10, 2010

When Po, Shifu, and Tigress from the cartoon movie Kung Fu Panda join forces with Russian Santa Claus, one never knows just what might happen.

Friday, the Hollywood movie characters presented an extraordinary New Year event for some Russian children interested in Chinese martial arts.

"New Year Fairy Tale with Kung Pu Panda," which included interactive segments, was hosted by the Russian Shaolin Martial Arts Learning Center here on Friday.

Students and teachers from the center created a fantastic world where the cartoon characters, Russian Santa Claus Grandfather Frost, and his granddaughter Snow Maiden prepared the children with special tasks to finish.

In order to illuminate the New Year tree and get gifts from Grandfather Frost, the children were divided into three groups to hunt for martial art treasure books under the guidance of personnel from the learning center disguised as animal masters.

During the journey the children had to learn different kinds of kung fu and conquer various obstacles along the way.

Two and a half hours later, the children finally finished the tasks after crossing through dark caves, climbing over the stiff "Chinese Great Wall" and defeating demons.

In the end, all three teams earned treasure books with Russian letters and reunited in front of the Sacred Temple. There, they spelled out the Russian letters and the word "Friendship" emerged. A gate then opened as a symbol of success, revealing Grandfather Frost with a bagful of gifts.

"No assignment can be accomplished without friendship," said 11-year-old Pasha.

Twenty-one-year-old Slava, who has practiced Chinese martial arts for three years, played the role of Po. His humorous performance made children burst into laughter.

"The event wants to show children that Chinese Kung Fu is not simply fighting, but rather interpersonal relations, friendship, and the precious qualities of people," Slava told Xinhua.

"When the roles they play unite together to form a powerful team, they could overcome all hardships and complete the task," he said.

The Russian Shaolin Martial Arts Learning Center, founded in 1999, was the only educational and training agency designated by China's Songshan Shaolin Temple. Around 1,000 students between the ages of five and 70 currently study at the center.

GeneChing
06-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I wonder why it took him so long to press charges?

Tai Chi expert claims 'Kung Fu Panda' stolen from his pitch (http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/tai-chi-expert-claims-kung-fu-panda-stolen-from-his-pitch.html)
Tue Jun 01, 2010 @ 05:50PM PST
By Matthew Belloni

EXCLUSIVE: A martial arts guru is accusing DreamWorks Animation of stealing one of its most lucrative characters.

Terence Dunn, who describes himself as a writer-producer-teacher-philosopher and says he "pioneered the practice of Tai Chi, Kung Fu and Qigong in modern medicine," claims in a lawsuit filed today in Los Angeles Superior Court that he originated the idea for a movie about a "spiritual Kung-fu fighting panda bear" and met with the studio months before it decided to make "Kung Fu Panda" without him.

Dunn says that in November 2001, he disclosed to DWA exec Lance Young his idea for a feature about a panda "who is adopted by five animal friends in the forest (a tiger, a leopard, a dragon, a snake and a crane), whose destiny is foretold by an old and wise sage, Turquoise Tortoise, and who comes of age and fulfills his destiny as a martial arts hero and spiritual avatar ... by leading his friends to save the inhabitants of peaceful Plum Flower Village ..."

After a number of development phone calls between Dunn (left), Young and another DWA exec, Michael Lachance, the studio allegedly passed on the idea in February 2002. A few months later, DreamWorks allegedly began developing "Kung Fu Panda," its hit 2008 film starring the voice of Jack Black as a panda "substantially similar in all respects" to the one Dunn described, according to the complaint. The film grossed more than $630 million worldwide and has spawned a DVD sequel, a planned TV show and a theatrical sequel scheduled for next summer.

Dunn says his conversations with the studio created an implied-in-fact contract. He wants at least $1 million in damages.

DWA did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Dunn is represented by Glen Kulik at Kulik Gottesman Mouton & Siegel in Sherman Oaks, Calif.

GeneChing
07-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Shrek and Kung Fu Panda are Coming to a Cruise Ship Near You (http://www.jaunted.com/story/2010/7/29/15941/6902/travel/Shrek+and+Kung+Fu+Panda+are+Coming+to+a+Cruise+Shi p+Near+You)
July 29, 2010 at 3:51 PM | by JetSetCD

How much do you love Shreak or Kung Fu Pands? Hopefully you love them enough to be stranded with them for days out on the open ocean...that is, onboard a cruise ship. Royal Caribbean Cruises has announced that beginning during the holiday 2010 season, popular characters from Dreamworks films will hit the decks to entertain passengers onboard select ships.

The first to get a dose of Madagascar, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon madness will be the Allure of the Seas, followed in early 2011 by the <>Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas. All of this includes themed ice shows—because yes, these ships have ice skating rinks down in them—as well as 3-D Dreamworks movies onboard and the characters roaming about the ship looking for photo ops. The promise of "table-side visits" at dinner makes us shudder, but then we aren't starry-eyed 8 year old kids on their first cruise.

What do you think of the new entertainment offerings? Will people dressed as animated characters at dinner scare you off your baked alaska dessert and cordial?
http://www.jaunted.com/files/6193/RCIDreamworks2.jpg
The only reason I'm posting this is for this pic - it's a furry's dream come true!

@PLUGO
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Stopping by Dreamworks Animation facility in Glendale, Animation Guild Business Rep Steve Hulett was shown the new Kung Fu Panda TV special that has been readied for screening this Christmastime (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/06/kung-fu-panda-goes-3d-for-christmas-special/). As well as confirming that the original voice cast from the movie was in place, Hulett commented on how the show was in 3D, and what sounds like rather good 3D too...

GeneChing
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
More Panda threads:
Kung Fu Panda Holiday Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58151)
Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom Of Doom (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56148)

And here's something new: Kung Fu Panda Auditions (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kung-Fu-Panda-Auditions/141397915905973)

From a press release:

SEEKING MARTIAL ARTISTS, ACRO-DANCERS & GYMNASTS

Hello everyone
Franco Dragone and Dreamworks Animation are creating a new sensational international touring show, "Kung Fu Panda" based on the characters "Po" and the "Furious Five".
Please post this on your school wall and forward this to your friends who might be interested. The flyer is in both English and French.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.

APPLICANTS MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE AND HAVE PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Thank you,
Joanie Spina
Kung Fu Panda
Casting Director
702 232 1482
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs884.snc4/71791_141402782572153_141397915905973_199437_64492 5_n.jpg

GeneChing
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
This is a continuation of an earlier post here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1017414&highlight=dunn#post1017414).

Man Who Says DreamWorks Stole 'Kung Fu Panda' Wins Round in Court (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/man-dreamworks-stole-kung-fu-56811)
9:45 PM 12/6/2010 by Matthew Belloni

EXCLUSIVE: The man who is suing DreamWorks Animation claiming it stole his idea for Kung Fu Panda has won a small victory in his multi-million dollar lawsuit against the company.

Terence Dunn, a self-described "writer-producer-teacher-philosopher," filed suit in June claiming that he pitched the story of a "spiritual kung-fu fighting panda bear" to DWA execs during a series of phone conversations in Nov. 2001 but the studio passed. Months later, DWA announced it was working with Jack Black to develop Kung Fu Panda, which in 2008 grossed $632 million worldwide, launched a merchandise bonanza and spawned a sequel, due next summer.

Lawyers for both sides were in court on Thursday arguing a small but key issue. One of the challenges from the plainitiff's perspective in these idea submission cases is that you don't really know how much the damages are until you look at the studio's books. The studios, obviously, don't want that to happen, or at least they want to make you jump through hoops and spend a lot of money on lawyers to make that happen. So, like many corporate defendants in Hollywood lawsuits, DWA lawyers at Loeb & Loeb filed a motion to split (or "bifurcate") the case into separate phases of liability and damages. That would have forced Dunn to prove he was owed money before he even got to delve into the books to figure out how much that might be.

But Judge Joanne O'Donnell has issued a tentative ruling shutting down the DWA strategy and denying the motion. Now the case moves to the discovery phase, where Dunn and attorney Glen Kulik will attempt to gather internal DWA documents about boxoffice gross, DVD and merchandise revenue to help support their claims that the studio made millions from Dunn's ideas. They're also trying to prove the studio had access to Dunn's ideas (he claims he created "Zen-Bear" years before Panda) in advance of developing the movie.

Depositions, including those of Lance Young and Michael Lachance, the DWA execs who were allegedly communicating with Dunn, are expected to take place in January. A trial date is scheduled for next year.

GeneChing
02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
If Gordon wins, can Dunn sue him too?

Feb 17 2011 04:06 PM ET
DreamWorks Animation sued by artist who claims he created 'Kung Fu Panda' (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/17/dreamworks-kung-fu-panda-lawsuit/)
by Sandra Gonzalez

A Massachusetts artist has filed a lawsuit against DreamWorks Animation, claiming the studio stole his idea for the multi-million dollar Kung Fu Panda franchise.

In papers filed yesterday and obtained by EW, Jayme Gordon alleges that the studio stole the concept of and characters from his copyrighted works, titled Kung Fu Panda Power. He claimed he created the characters in the late 1980s or early 1990s and pitched them twice to studios — once to the Walt Disney Company and again to DreamWorks in the late 1990s.

This is the second Kung Fu Panda lawsuit facing the company. Another writer, Terence Dunn, claims he pitched the story to DreamWorks executives in 2001.

Gordon is seeking damages and lost profits, “which cannot yet be fully ascertained, but which shall be assessed at the time of trial,” according to the lawsuit.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is scheduled for a May 27 release. DreamWorks is not commenting on the suit.

Kung Fu Panda Lawsuit Has A Very Visual Argument (http://perezhilton.com/2011-02-18-dreamworks-sued-over-kung-fu-panda-copyright)

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/kung-fu-panda-power__oPt.jpg
Kung Fu Panda Power

Another lawsuit in the film industry is going after one of the biggest animated franchises on the market!

An artist named Jayme Gordon is suing DreamWorks and distributor Paramount for blatantly "allegedly" copying the film from his copyrighted works, collectively titled Kung Fu Panda Power (pictured above).

That's ridiculous!

That drawing looks nothing like DreamWorks' Kung Fu Panda. It isn't even colored in! Ha!

The Kung Fu Panda Power creator says he submitted multiple packages to the Walt Disney Company containing original illustrations and stories, then went on to meet with then-Disney chairman Michael Eisner and president Frank Wells (He's even got a picture with them).

But that was SO long ago! How is this even relevant now?

Well, it turns out that the current DreamWorks topper, Jeffrey Katzenberg, worked for Disney under Eisner at the time of the meeting!

Katzenberg left Disney in 1994 to start DreamWorks and Gordon even sent more illustrations in to the new company, but were rejected with an acknowledgement of receipt!

Asserting copyright infringement, Gordon is demanding unspecified profits, statutory damages, and an acknowledgment of authorship on both Kung Fu Panda and its forthchoming sequel.

We can't deny that this guy has a pretty legitimate claim here and we're assuming he's got a HUGE paycheck coming his way considering the first film grossed $632 million worldwide.

So whose pumped to see Kung Fu Panda Power 2 in May?

GeneChing
02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I must concur with this article. China has one in production too - see "A new 3-D animation for release in July will pit an ancient rabbit in tai chi slippers against — what else? — a kung fu panda." (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1077484&highlight=panda#post1077484)

Multiple Lawsuits From Multiple People Who All Say They Came Up With Kung Fu Panda (http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110218/01443513161/multiple-lawsuits-multiple-people-who-all-say-they-came-up-with-kung-fu-panda.shtml)
from the ideas-vs.-execution dept

We'd heard a while back a guy named Terence Dunn who had sued Dreamworks, claiming that he had come up with the concept of "Kung Fu Panda," which Dreamworks made into a massively successful film. We hadn't written about it at the time, because for pretty much every big successful film or book, someone comes out of the woodwork to claim some sort of ownership stake. However, now we've got a second such lawsuit. THREsq reports on a guy named Jayme Gordon, who actually seems to have a somewhat stronger claim, in that he actually created a project, registered with the US Copyright Office, called "Kung Fu Panda Power" whose characters have some similarities to the movie's characters. Assuming the drawings in that article are accurate, it would seem that he has a much stronger claim that the usual "that movie took my idea!" claim.

Still, there are two things to consider. Is the idea of a Panda that does Kung Fu really so original? After all, there seem to be multiple people who came up with it, and it seems like a pretty straightforward thought process. As a commenter on the linked article above notes:

Combining Kung Fu and a Panda is not a terribly difficult idea to come up with. You say you want a Kung Fu movie, but with animals? Okay, where does Kung Fu come from? China? Oh, okay. Well, what kinda animals live in China? Well, there's the Panda, of course. Bingo. Let's make it.

And, the second point is one we've pointed out before: there's a big difference between an idea and executing on the idea. Just having a general idea that many others might have as well shouldn't give you the right to step in and collect some of the profits from those who actually took the risk and executed successfully on the idea.

And more on the real Po - interesting that these events would coincide.
Check out Atlanta Zoo's Po blog and panda cam! (http://www.zooatlanta.org/1212/panda_cam#cub%20updates)

http://www.zooatlanta.org/media/image/panda100day_jackblack_name_pocharacter_ZA_0614.jpg

http://www.zooatlanta.org/media/image/panda_110120_cub_exam_ZA_1745.jpg

GeneChing
02-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Law.com has a pdf of the complaint.

Nightmare for Dreamworks? Studio Hit With Kung Fu Panda Copyright Suit (http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202483156964&Nightmare_for_Dreamworks_Studio_Hit_With_Kung_Fu_P anda_Copyright_Suit)
Andrew Goldberg
The American Lawyer
February 24, 2011

Represented by Fish & Richardson and Duane Morris, the creator of a portly panda with a penchant for martial arts and an appetite for Chinese food has threatened to take a bite out of the profits from DreamWorks Animation's hugely successful Kung Fu Panda movie.

In a lawsuit filed Wednesday in federal district court in Boston, illustrator Jayme Gordon claims that DreamWorks is infringing his copyrights on the idea of a chunky panda with kung fu prowess, as well as on several of the other animated animal characters featured in the studio's Kung Fu Panda films.

According to Gordon's complaint, Po--the overweight panda voiced by Jack Black in the animated 2008 movie--bears a striking similarity to Kidd, the paunchy, pugilistic panda Gordon first drew in the early 1990s, produced under the Kung Fu Panda Power banner, and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office in 2000. [Download Kung Fu Panda Complaint. (http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/files/kung-fu-panda-complaint.pdf)]

Among the similarities between his creation and the DreamWorks character that Gordon cites in his complaint: both giant pandas hang out with red panda sidekicks who use chopsticks in connection with kung fu fighting.

Gordon also claims that the similarities extend to other plot elements and settings. Portions of both the movie and Gordon’s illustrated literary works take place in "The Valley of Peace," a fictional land in ancient China. Gordon also notes that while his panda is supported by a group of five fighting animals known as the "Five Fists of Fury," Kung Fu Panda protagonist Po is accompanied by a group called "Furious Five" that is composed of the same five animals: a tiger, a monkey, a crane, a mantis, and a snake.

Gordon contends that defendants had the opportunity to plagiarize his panda and other characters after he posted a portfolio of his work on his Web site, met with Disney executives, including then-CEO Michael Eisner, and mailed his illustrations to Disney and DreamWorks. (Onetime Disney executive Jeffrey Katzenberg went on to cofound DreamWorks.)

In his suit, Gordon seeks all profits "in an amount which cannot yet be fully ascertained, but which shall be assessed at the time of trial," from the Kung Fu Panda franchise, which includes the "Kung Fu Panda" film, the "Secrets of the Furious Five" film, as well as the "Kung Fu Panda 2" movie scheduled for release on May 26. He is also demanding statutory damages and an acknowledgement of authorship.

Neither DreamWorks representatives nor Gordon's lawyers responded immediately to requests for comment.

This story originally appeared in The Am Law Daily, a Corporate Counsel sibling publication.

GeneChing
07-26-2011, 09:23 AM
...which is more than we can say for Terence Dunn's suite now.

Jury Sides With DreamWorks Animation in 'Kung Fu Panda' Case (Exclusive) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/jury-sides-dreamworks-animation-kung-215019)
Writer Terence Dunn claimed the studio stole his pitch for a “spiritual kung-fu fighting panda bear.”
6:46 PM 7/25/2011 by Matthew Belloni

A Los Angeles jury has sided with DreamWorks Animation in a big lawsuit claiming the idea for the hit Kung Fu Panda movies was stolen from a man who pitched the studio months before it began developing the project without him.

Terence Dunn, a self-described “writer-producer-teacher-philospher” who was CEO of a company called Zen-Bear Inc., sued in June 2010 for breach of an implied contract, alleging that he brought the idea of a “spiritual kung-fu fighting panda bear” to a DreamWorks executive in November 2001 with the expectation that he’d be included in any film project. Dunn alleged that his kung-fu bear was "adopted by five animal friends in the forest (a tiger, a leopard, a dragon, a snake and a crane), whose destiny is foretold by an old and wise sage, Turquoise Tortoise, and who comes of age and fulfills his destiny as a martial arts hero and spiritual avatar."

Dunn claimed in the suit that he had several conversations with the studio before it passed on his pitch and began pursuing its “substantially similar” Kung Fu Panda movie in 2002 with original screenwriters Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris. The film, starring the voice of Jack Black, went on to gross more than $630 million worldwide in 2008 and spawn a successful sequel, released earlier this summer.

At one point, Dunn claimed he was entitled to a percentage of the hundreds of millions of dollars in profits from the films. The damages discussion sealed from public view at DreamWorks' request. The case then survived a DreamWorks summary judgment motion and made it all the way to a two-week jury trial, which featured testimony from DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, among others.

The jury took about three days to reach a verdict in favor of the studio. The jurors decided that DWA and its executives did enter into an implied-in-fact contract, but the panel found that the studio didn't use Dunn's ideas, so the question of damages was moot. DWA was represented by Jonathan Zavin and Dave Grossman of Loeb & Loeb. Dunn’s case was tried by Theresa Macellaro and Bonnie Chermak after his original attorney, Glen Kulik, dropped out earlier this year.

"We intend to appeal this decision," Macellaro tells us. "We feel quite confident in the appeal." DreamWorks Animation was not immediately available for comment. UPDATE: DWA sends us the following comment: “We are pleased with the decision of the jury, which supports our position that this was a baseless lawsuit.”

The Dunn case isn’t DWA’s only Kung Fu Panda legal headache. An artist named Jayme Gordon yesterday sued in February alleging that DreamWorks and distributor Paramount copied the artwork for the film from Gordon's copyrighted works, collectively titled "Kung Fu Panda Power."

GeneChing
04-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Bummer for Po

Judge Delivers Setback to DreamWorks in 'Kung Fu Panda' Lawsuit (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/judge-delivers-setback-dreamworks-kung-432380)
1:29 PM PDT 4/2/2013 by Eriq Gardner

The studio behind the blockbuster film can't escape a claim by an artist who says his work was stolen.

Hollywood studios are sued left and right for stealing ideas to create films and TV shows. These copyright-infringement lawsuits nearly always are dismissed before they ever get to trial thanks to the high bar in demonstrating "substantial similarity" between works.

But one plaintiff actually might get to trial.

Late last week, a federal judge denied a summary judgment motion made by DreamWorks Animation and Paramount Pictures over an artist's claim of having his work taken for the 2008 hit film Kung Fu Panda, which grossed more than $630 million worldwide. (Read the full ruling here.)

What's even more extraordinary is not only did the artist, Jayme Gordon, survive a summary judgment motion but also a judge's pronouncement that he spoiled evidence in the case. The judge's decision potentially sets the stage for an uncommon occurrence in Hollywood: a trial concerning a major studio in which a jury would determine whether the plaintiff's work was stolen or the studio independently created its hit film.

Gordon brought the lawsuit in Massachusetts federal court in February 2011 and is looking for statutory damages and any profits obtained from allegedly wrongful acts.

According to his amended complaint, Gordon has spent much of his lifetime creating characters and storylines including the "Kung Fu Panda property," which he says was developed in the 1990s. He says his work featured "a Kung Fu fighting giant panda who likes to eat; his companion, a rare small red panda who also is a Kung Fu fighter; and a Kung Fu fighting super group known as the “Five Fists of Fury” that consists of a tiger, crane, mantis, monkey and a venomless snake."

The plaintiff said he registered the work with the Copyright Office in 2000 and had submitted multiple packages of his work to studios including the Walt Disney Co. His complaint contained all sorts of illustrations and pictures. For example, he includes a picture of himself with former Disney president Michael Eisner. He also included side-by-side comparisons of his work and DreamWorks'. Here's an example:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8614611572_f0b2592a87.jpg

DreamWorks had asserted that Gordon has failed to provide any evidence of access by anyone at DreamWorks to his art. But last week, U.S. District Judge Joseph Tauro said genuine issues of fact remain as to the issue of access.

Gordon testified that he sent his “Panda Power” materials to Jeffrey Katzenberg at DreamWorks in October 1999.

"Although DreamWorks’s policy required prompt return of unsolicited materials with a rejection letter, Gordon received only a letter, which made no mention of his submissions," Tauro wrote.

"Katzenberg appears to have provided conflicting testimony regarding his procedures for handling unsolicited submissions," the judge continued. "At his initial deposition, he indicated that he sometimes opened submissions and skimmed the opening paragraphs before concluding they were unsolicited materials and forwarding them to the legal department. Later he maintained that he never opened unsolicited submissions at his office but sometimes opened them if they came to his home. All of these discrepancies must be resolved by the trier of fact, and summary judgment is therefore inappropriate."

The judge also rejected attempts by DreamWorks to find in its favor on the issue of substantial similarity.

"Gordon’s 2000 and 2011 copyright registrations provide evidence of similarities between the overall works and the two main panda characters that would allow rational jurors to reach differing conclusions," the judge wrote.

But that's not all.

DreamWorks also argued that regardless of the similarity, Kung Fu Panda was an independent creation, which would bar an infringement lawsuit. The judge concluded that it is too early to determine this on summary judgment.

"Gordon claims to have sent his 'Panda Power' materials to DreamWorks before the studio commenced work on the film," he wrote. "The trier of fact must decide whether DreamWorks subsequently independently developed the film or whether Gordon’s submissions influenced the process."

As a result, DreamWorks' motion for summary judgment was denied.

Gordon has gone further than many other copyright plaintiffs, including those suing Angelina Jolie over In the Land of Blood and Honey, James Cameron over Avatar, Fox over the TV series Touch and Emma Thompson over Effie, just to name a few recent examples.

And it all happened despite conduct by Gordon that Tauro finds troubling.

In early 2008, Gordon saw a promotional trailer for Kung Fu Panda. He then took all of his pre-existing "Panda Power" materials and compiled them into a book entitled Book of P.U. and shredded all pre-existing materials. The book then was registered at the U.S. Copyright Office.

Gordon later was asked at a deposition why he shredded the material. "I make a practice to shred everything," he responded. "If I make a new book, I shred the old stuff."

The judge commented, "Whether he acted in bad faith or simply as part of his artistic process does not render the destruction any less intentional, though it may affect the appropriate sanction."

Tauro says that at the time of the shredding, Gordon was "under a duty to preserve relevant evidence," having seen the Kung Fu Panda trailer. While Gordon said he wasn't contemplating litigation, he also filed a copyright registration. He also acknowledged making potentially significant changes to materials after viewing the movie trailer. Other evidence submitted in the case suggested that Gordon used commercial deletion software to permanently remove relevant files from his computer, and there's an email to a potential witness supposedly instructing that individual to delete relevant files.

But despite all of this, the judge won't go so far as to accept DreamWorks' demand to dismiss the case. The judge says the evidence "is not sufficiently clear to justify the harsh and disfavored sanction of dismissal."

As a result, the case moves forward, and Gregory Madera at Fish & Richardson, the attorney for Gordon, is seeking a trial in September or October.

DreamWorks says it can't comment on pending legal matters.

GeneChing
05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
I had a feeling this would go so.

DreamWorks Animation's Victory in 'Kung Fu Panda' Case Affirmed (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/dreamworks-animations-victory-kung-fu-449214)
5:26 PM PDT 4/30/2013 by Eriq Gardner

Terence Dunn had claimed that the studio breached an implied promise to pay him for sharing an idea over a spiritual panda bear.

A California appeals court upheld a verdict in favor of DreamWorks Animation after a jury found that the studio didn't steal the idea to create its mega-successful Kung Fu Panda movies.

Terence Dunn, a self-described “writer-producer-teacher-philospher” who was CEO of a company called Zen-Bear Inc., sued in June 2010 for breach of an implied contract. At a trial in the summer of 2011, he told a jury that he made a four-to-five minute pitch to a Dreamworks executive in November 2001, and followed it up with a phone call over his "proposal for Zen-Bear, the Kung Fu Panda."

He wanted compensation for the studio's alleged use of his idea, but a jury wasn't swayed. On appeal, Dunn challenged the verdict on the basis that the trial judge had erred with improper jury instructions over the test for determining use of an idea.

On Tuesday, California's Second Appellate District weighed in with some wisdom on the nature of ideas. Here's the full ruling.

Kung Fu Panda came out in 2008 and starred the voice of Jack Black. It went on to gross more than $630 million worldwide. A successful sequel also was released.

Dunn said that he had created a "Zen-Bear" in the early 1990s and hired an illustrator "to design [his] concept of a martial arts panda bear."

He says he spoke for months with Dreamworks executive Lance Young about his idea, and alleged that he was told in 2002 that DWA already had a "martial arts panda project." He says his final conversation with Dreamworks happened with another Dreamworks executive named Michael Lachance.

Lachance oversaw the Kung Fu Panda project after Dreamworks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg suggested in 2000 at a roundtable meeting that the company "take a look at pandas as a possible subject for a movie."

According to the legal documents, Lachance drafted a story outline entitled "Kung Fu Panda," dated Nov. 27, 2001, one week after Dunn claims he pitched his ideas to Young at the holiday party.

Before a verdict happened in the case, a judge instructed the jury, "For Plaintiff to recover for Breach of Implied Contract in this case, he must prove that the movie Kung Fu Panda is substantially similar to the movie he pitched to DreamWorks. Substantial similarity is determined by making a comparison of the two works based on the opinion of the average individual."

But the judge declined Dunn's invitation to add, "Differences between the movie and the pitch do not necessarily mean they are not substantially similar. You may find that differences between the movie and Plaintiff's pitch were deliberately contrived to disguise the fact that Plaintiff's ideas were being used."

A California appeals court says that the failure to deliver this guidance wasn't an error.

"The first sentence unnecessarily highlights an obvious point -- Dunn need not prove his pitch was identical to the film Kung Fu Panda in order to establish his cause of action," says the decision. "The second sentence of this proposed instruction amount[s] to an argument to the jury in the guise of a statement of law, and the trial court properly refused to include it in its instructions to the jury."

Dunn also contended that the verdict should be overthrown because of how the judge responded to a question from the jury.

The jury asked, "If an idea is expressed by Dunn to DreamWorks, incorporated in an intermediate work and abandoned before the movie is made, does this constitute use?"

The judge responded, "No."

Despite Dunn's argument that the jury was confused and required a different answer with further instructions, the ruling says it was a correct answer.

"The jury asked about abandonment of Dunn's idea, not differences between Dunn's idea and the film," adds the appeals court. "The question does not indicate the jury was seeking clarification on the substantial similarity standard."

MightyB
05-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Did you see z'em bears? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AYyFdBhowIw#!)

GeneChing
08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Can the Lion King sue Gordon now?

Artist Drops 'Kung Fu Panda' Suit After 'Lion King' Find (http://www.law360.com/ip/articles/462552/artist-drops-kung-fu-panda-suit-after-lion-king-find)
By Kelly Knaub

Law360, New York (August 05, 2013, 9:54 PM ET) -- An artist accusing DreamWorks of ripping off his work in the animated film “Kung Fu Panda” is dropping his claims after defense lawyers discovered evidence of a 1996 "The Lion King" coloring book they say he used as inspiration, according to a source familiar with the case.

In a stipulation filed July 30 in California federal court, artist Jayme Gordon, DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc., DreamWorks Animation LLC and Paramount Pictures Corp. said Gordon had agreed to dismiss the case after the attorneys for both parties met to discuss the evidence. The parties have not entered into any settlement agreement, according to the document.

A source close to the case, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said "a series of twists and turns" had led the defense to discover that Gordon's 2000 and 2011 copyright registrations were based on the "Lion King" coloring book.

U.S. District Judge Joseph L. Tauro entered an electronic order dismissing the case Friday.

DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures said in the stipulation that they waived their right to recover fees or other costs incurred in connection with the suit.

Jayme Gordon brought the complaint against DreamWorks in February 2011, alleging that a pair of characters he created during the 1980s and 1990s under the moniker “Panda Power” were similar to characters that later appeared in DreamWorks' “Kung Fu Panda,” which was released in the United States in 2008. A judge denied DreamWorks’ motion for summary judgment in a March 28 ruling.

Judge Tauro found there were “genuine issues of fact” as to whether DreamWorks had access to Gordon's work prior to the creation of “Kung Fu Panda.” The judge also rejected the company's argument that the artist couldn't prove a “substantial similarity” between his work and the characters that appeared in the studio's film.

The plot of “Kung Fu Panda” — which featured the voices of Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman and Angelina Jolie — focuses on a giant panda that becomes a kung fu warrior. The film, which grossed more than $631 million worldwide, was released by DreamWorks Animation SKG and DreamWorks Animation LLC, in collaboration with Paramount. A sequel, "Kung Fu Panda 2," was released in 2011.

Judge Tauro also previously considered DreamWorks' motion for dismissal of the suit, in which the studio argued that Gordon had improperly disposed of relevant evidence.

That motion concerned actions Gordon took in early 2008 after seeing a movie trailer for “Kung Fu Panda.” At that time, Gordon compiled pre-existing “Panda Power” artwork and materials into a book, titled “Book of P.U.,” and submitted the work for copyright registration, according to Judge Tauro.

Once he had completed the “Book of P.U.,” however, Gordon shredded the preexisting material, the judge said. The copyright registration took effect in June 2008, days prior to the release of “Kung Fu Panda.”

Gordon testified in a deposition that he had a standard practice of destroying old materials once he created a new work and, in the March 28 order, Judge Tauro found fault with Gordon's actions, saying that admission “leaves little room for doubt that he intentionally destroyed the pre-existing materials.”

The judge further found that Gordon had done the shredding while he had a duty to preserve evidence, but decided that the evidence destruction didn't warrant a full dismissal of Gordon's suit. He instead imposed a lighter sanction, excluding Gordon's 2008 copyright registration from evidence in the case.

DreamWorks has also faced a breach of contract suit in California court concerning "Kung Fu Panda." In that suit, filed in 2010, a media producer said the company had poached the idea for the movie, but in July 2011, a jury cleared DreamWorks of the alleged contract violations.

Gordon and representatives for the parties did not immediately respond to requests for comment Monday. A representative for DreamWorks declined to comment.

Gordon is represented by Gregory A. Madera, Juanita R. Brooks, Michael J. Kane, Joel D. Leviton and Kristen McCallion of Fish & Richardson PC and Mark A. Fischer of Duane Morris LLP.

DreamWorks is represented by John A. Shope, Julia Huston and David A. Kluft of Foley Hoag LLP and Jonathan Zavin, David Grossman, Eric Schwartz and Wook Hwang of Loeb & Loeb LLP.

The case is Gordon v. DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. et al., case number 1:11-cv-10255, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.

--Additional reporting by Scott Flaherty. Editing by Elizabeth Bowen.

GeneChing
01-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Just in time for KFP3 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?60650-Kung-Fu-Panda-3).

http://i1.wp.com/www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kungfupanda_fbi_gordon.jpg?resize=1100%2C600

Cartoonist Faces Up To 25 Years in Prison For Failed ‘Kung Fu Panda’ Lawsuit (http://www.cartoonbrew.com/law/cartoonist-faces-25-years-prison-failed-kung-fu-panda-lawsuit-128973.html)
By Brian Gabriel | 01/04/2016 2:26 pm | 22

A federal grand jury indicted amateur cartoonist Jayme Gordon, 51, on December 16, 2015, alleging seven counts of wire fraud and perjury relating to a lawsuit Gordon had filed in 2011 against DreamWorks Animation.

Gordon had claimed that DreamWorks based its 2008 animated feature Kung Fu Panda on his Kung Fu Panda Power pitch, which he claimed to have submitted to DreamWorks previously. He abruptly withdrew his lawsuit in 2013 after DreamWorks attorneys confronted him with evidence he had traced his drawings from a 1996 Disney Lion King coloring book.

http://i0.wp.com/www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kungfupanda_fbi_gordon_b.jpg?resize=800%2C440
Jayme Gordon’s lawsuit against DreamWorks unraveled when it was discovered that he had copied his artwork from a “Lion King” coloring book.

In 1999 and 2000, Gordon registered hundreds of pages of material with the U.S Copyright Office, including a series of drawings and stories entitled Jamie GORDON’s Panda Power, featuring a giant panda named “Kid,” and a little red panda named “Red.” The materials submitted for copyright describe Kid as “serious,” “mature,” and a sort of “big brother” to Red, who is described as “playful,” “mischievous,” and “the more immature” of the two characters.

PARTNER MESSAGE

According to the indictment, Gordon saw a trailer for Kung Fu Panda in early 2008. Gordon then revised his Panda Power drawings and registered them as Kung Fu Panda Power with the Copyright Office in May 2008, prior to the June 2008 release of DreamWorks’ animated feature.

The revisions Gordon made included removing Kid’s mask and medallion and instead depicting Kid in a rope belt and shorts, like the animated film’s lead, Po; descriptions of Kid as “the more immature of the 2 pandas;” and illustrations of Red with more white on his face, to make him look older, like the DreamWorks character Master Shifu. In Kung Fu Panda, the giant panda Po, voiced by comic star Jack Black, is the less mature, accident-prone character, whereas the red panda, Shifu, is the stern kung fu master, voiced by Hollywood elder statesman Dustin Hoffman.

http://i0.wp.com/www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kungfupanda_fbi_gordon_a.jpg?resize=800%2C345
The FBI alleges that Gordon changed the personalities of his characters after he found out about the DreamWorks film.

In February 2011, Gordon filed a copyright infringement suit against DreamWorks in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts. In July 2011, Gordon’s attorneys emailed DreamWorks’ counsel, offering to settle for $12 million and half a percentage royalty on all future Kung Fu Panda sales revenue. One of Gordon’s “expert” witnesses even claimed Gordon had suffered damages of more than $150 million.

During discovery related to the lawsuit, DreamWorks’ attorneys unearthed evidence that on April 10, 2012 Gordon had deliberately erased computer files holding material related to the lawsuit. In fact, Gordon installed and used a program called Permanent Eraser to remove the files, and then deleted Permanent Eraser itself on April 13, 2012.

An expert witness for DreamWorks then pointed out to them that illustrations of Gordon’s pandas that were ostensibly dated 1992 and 1994 were in fact copied from a Disney coloring book that was not released until 1996. DreamWorks concluded that Gordon had backdated the drawings to try to strengthen his copyright claims against DreamWorks.

Then, in a deposition related to that lawsuit, Gordon claimed his illustrations were original and that he did not “directly take elements” from other works, that his drawings were dated 1992 because that was when he drew them, and that he had not changed his characters in any way since he had created them in the early 1990s.

http://i0.wp.com/www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kungfupanda_fbi_gordon_b1.jpg?resize=800%2C604
Gordon’s personal drawing style looked amateurish in comparison to the drawings that he copied from other sources.

The Cybercrime Unit of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Boston will now prosecute Gordon, alleging that, when his attorneys sent four emails on his behalf related to the lawsuit, including requests for discovery and a settlement proposal, Gordon “did knowingly transmit…by means of wire communication in interstate commerce, writings…for the purpose of executing” his fraudulent scheme, and that by knowingly lying under oath he committed perjury.

“Our intellectual property laws are designed to protect creative artists, not defraud them,” said U.S. Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz. “The misuse of civil litigation as part of a fraud scheme, and lying under oath, as alleged in this case, warp our federal judicial system and must be addressed with appropriate criminal sanctions.”

For the charges of wire fraud and perjury, Gordon faces up to 25 years in prison, six years of supervised release, and fines up to $500,000 plus restitution to DreamWorks. The FBI pointed out in its press release that actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. According to the federal indictment, DreamWorks spent approximately $1 million to defend the lawsuit, and another $2 million was spent by its insurance company.

The Boston Cybercrime Unit is famously aggressive in prosecuting alleged violations of U.S intellectual property law, most notably its controversial prosecution of software developer, Internet activist, and Reddit pioneer Aaron Swartz for wire fraud and violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Swartz committed suicide in 2013 after prosecutors rejected a plea bargain offer made by Swartz.

GeneChing
12-05-2016, 04:14 PM
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kungfupanda3-1280x600.jpg

Fake ‘Kung Fu Panda’ Creator Convicted of Fraud, Faces Up To 25 Years in Prison (http://www.cartoonbrew.com/law/fake-kung-fu-panda-creator-convicted-fraud-faces-25-years-prison-145156.html)
By Amid Amidi | 11/19/2016 7:28 pm

Jayme Gordon, the 51-year-old cartoonist who lied about creating the concept for Dreamworks’ Kung Fu Panda, was convicted yesterday by a federal jury in Boston for wire fraud and perjury. He will be sentenced on March 30, 2017; the charges carry a maximum of 25 years in prison.

There are countless cases where amateur creators sue a movie studio for stealing their idea, but rarely does the federal government launch a criminal investigation. In this instance, Gordon not only accused Dreamworks of stealing his idea, but he concocted an elaborate scheme that involved creating fake concept art which he claimed dated back the early 1990s. His case fell apart, however, after Dreamworks’ lawyers discovered that the artwork Gordon claimed was from 1992 was actually copied out of a Lion King coloring book from 1996.

Jonathan Zavin, one of Dreamworks’ lead lawyers at Loeb & Loeb, testified during the U.S. government’s trial about the unprecedented fraud that Gordon attempted to commit in his lawsuit against Dreamworks. “I’ve never had a case that involved this kind of spoliation of evidence, this kind of destruction of evidence,” Zavin said on direct examination. “This was absolutely unique in my experience.”

An article at the web site Law360 explains how Dreamworks’ lawyers were able to find the key piece of evidence that broke open the case by going on an Ebay shopping spree of Lion King merchandise. (Full disclosure: I worked on the case as the art expert for Dreamworks’ legal defense team.)

While Gordon had actually created a concept called Panda Power, he revised the concept after seeing the trailer for Kung Fu Panda in early 2008, and re-registered it with the Copyright Office in May 2008 as Kung Fu Panda Power, immediately before the June 2008 release of DreamWorks’ animated feature.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/kungfupanda_fbi_gordon_b1.jpg
Gordon’s personal drawing style looked amateurish in comparison to the drawings that he copied from other sources.

As we had covered earlier, Gordon’s ruse to bilk Dreamworks out of $12 million also involved destroying digital evidence and lying about it under oath:

During discovery related to the lawsuit, DreamWorks’ attorneys unearthed evidence that on April 10, 2012 Gordon had deliberately erased computer files holding material related to the lawsuit. In fact, Gordon installed and used a program called Permanent Eraser to remove the files, and then deleted Permanent Eraser itself on April 13, 2012.

By the time the case was dismissed, Dreamworks Animation, and co-defendant Paramount Pictures, had spent nearly $3 million to defend themselves, a fee that they were unable to recover due to the dismissal agreement.

The Boston Cybercrime Unit, which prosecuted the case against Gordon, is famously aggressive in prosecuting alleged violations of U.S intellectual property law, most notably its controversial prosecution of software developer, Internet activist, and Reddit pioneer Aaron Swartz for wire fraud and violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Swartz committed suicide in 2013 after prosecutors rejected a plea bargain offer made by Swartz.

You gotta wonder what Gordon was thinking...

GeneChing
05-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Cartoonist who claimed to be Kung Fu Panda creator jailed for two years (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/04/cartoonist-kung-fu-panda-dreamworks-jayme-gordon)
Jayme Gordon also ordered to repay $3m in legal fees to DreamWorks Animation after filing spurious copyright lawsuit in 2011

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/3d1ff0a043459ef4751abc348f447440dcc68ea5/41_0_1800_1080/master/1800.jpg
Jayme Gordon proposed that DreamWorks settle for $12m over the copyright infringement to Kung Fu Panda. Photograph: Allstar/DreamWorks Animation

Thursday 4 May 2017 04.44 EDT

A cartoonist who falsely claimed to be the creator of Kung Fu Panda has been sentenced to two years in prison for fraud and ordered to pay $3m (Ł2.3m) in damages.

Jayme Gordon, from Randolph, Massachusetts, filed a copyright lawsuit in 2011 alleging that DreamWorks Animation had stolen characters and story from him for the 2008 animated comedy.

Prosecutors argued that Gordon, having seen the trailer for Kung Fu Panda, had fabricated and backdated drawings of characters similar to those seen in the film. He had previously created drawings and a story about pandas that bore little resemblance to the movie. However, after seeing the trailer he amended his drawings and renamed his story Kung Fu Panda Power.

Gordon, 51, sued DreamWorks for copyright infringement and proposed that the company settle for $12m. DreamWorks refused to settle, and litigation continued for a further two years, costing the studio $3m in legal fees.

Dreamworks later discovered that Gordon had traced some of his sketches from a colouring book featuring characters from Disney’s The Lion King, prosecutors said. Gordon also deleted evidence from his computer and lied under oath. He was convicted of fraud and perjury by a federal jury in November.

Gordon’s conviction comes at a busy time for copyright claims in Hollywood. In March a Total Recall screenwriter filed a lawsuit accusing Disney of stealing his idea for the film Zootopia. Earlier this week the same studio won an appeals court victory over a Florida author who claimed they had used his work for the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

What a dumb reason to wind up in the joint. Wonder how is fellow inmates will receive him?

GeneChing
06-05-2017, 08:48 AM
...this looks very promising.

JUN 5, 2017 @ 08:59 AM 97 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
Universal Studios Hollywood To Bring $1.82 Billion 'Kung Fu Panda' Franchise To Life (https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonthompson/2017/06/05/universal-studios-hollywood-to-bring-1-82-billion-kung-fu-panda-franchise-to-life/#2f1766015c16)
Simon Thompson , CONTRIBUTOR
Simon Thompson is a freelance film & entertainment journalist in LA.

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/simonthompson/files/2017/06/DreamWorks-Theatre-at-Universal-Studios-Hollywood-1200x1500.jpg?width=960
Dreamworks/Universal Studios Hollywood
The three 'Kung Fu Panda' movies have made over $1.8 billion at the worldwide box office to date.

Kung Fu Panda, the film franchise that has taken $1.82 million at the worldwide box office, is coming to life in a theme park attraction. With DreamWorks Animation’s recent acquisition, Universal Studios Hollywood will soon roll out the red carpet for a unique, never before seen experience in Los Angeles.

The attraction, which will open in 2018, will be housed in a newly designed venue will host a variety of DreamWorks Animation themed attractions beginning with the multi-sensory adventure inspired by the Kung Fu Panda films. The original films boasted impressive voice casts which included Jack Black as Po, Dustin Hoffman as Shifu, Angelina Jolie as Tigress, Ian McShane as Tai Lung, Jackie Chan as Monkey, Seth Rogen as Mantis, Lucy Liu as Viper as James Hong and Mr. Ping in recurring roles. The Kung Fu Panda series is the seventh highest-grossing animated franchise and the third highest-grossing DreamWorks Animation's franchise behind Shrek and Madagascar.

The new technologically advanced Kung Fu Panda attraction will take guests on a legendary journey that fuses captivating storytelling with state-of-the-art projection mapping and LED lighting effects to create an immersive experience.

Kung Fu Panda isn’t the only film franchise to have been brought to life at Universal Studios Hollywood as it already plays host to rides and attractions inspired by the likes of Harry Potter ($7.72 billion worldwide unadjusted), Jurassic Park ($3.64 billion worldwide unadjusted), Transformers ($3.78 billion worldwide unadjusted), Despicable Me ($2.67 billion worldwide unadjusted) and Fast and Furious ($5.12 billion worldwide unadjusted) as well as TV shows including AMC's The Walking Dead and The Simpsons.

This isn’t the first time that the Kung Fu Panda films have been incorporated into an attraction. In 2015, Merlin Attractions opened DreamWorks Tours: Shrek's Adventure! in London, England which ties the companies’ Shrek and Kung Fu Panda franchises.

Universal Studios Hollywood also currently hosts a Shrek-themed attraction, Shrek 4D, which opened in July 2003 - the Shrek films, and the Puss in Boots spin-off, have taken $3.51 billion at the worldwide box office (unadjusted for inflation). That attraction will close this summer and be replaced by Kung Fu Panda. Confirming the closure, Audrey Eig, Universal Studios Hollywood spokeswoman, told Forbes in a statement: "We continually evaluate our entertainment options. The Shrek 4D attraction enjoyed a successful run since 2003 and we look forward offering our guests this new multi-sensory experience next year."

The new Kung Fu Panda attraction will open at Universal Studios Hollywood in 2018, ten years after the first Kung Fu Panda movie was released in theaters, although an exact date has yet to be announced.

Simon Thompson is a freelance film & entertainment journalist, broadcaster and producer. From the UK, but now living and working in LA, he can be found on Twitter and LinkedIn.

GeneChing
07-07-2017, 07:41 AM
So declares the FBI site. :eek:

June 29, 2017
The Case of the ‘Kung Fu Panda’ Fraud (https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/the-case-of-the-kung-fu-panda-fraud)
Massachusetts Man Made Bogus Claim Film Was His Idea

https://www.fbi.gov/image-repository/real-traced-drawings-kung-fu-panda.jpg
Drawing on left depicts panda from a 1996 Disney coloring book; drawing on right is one that Jayme Gordon traced and claimed was his own during his attempt to defraud the makers of the film Kung Fu Panda.

Jayme Gordon claimed the makers of the animated film “Kung Fu Panda” stole his idea and drawings for the movie, but it was discovered that Gordon had traced some of his panda sketches from a Disney coloring book.

A Massachusetts man is behind bars after his scheme to defraud the makers of the animated film Kung Fu Panda backfired.

Jayme Gordon claimed that DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. stole his idea for the characters and story behind the popular 2008 film, and in 2011, the Boston-area resident filed a civil suit against the studio seeking more than $12 million in damages.

“He said DreamWorks used his ideas, and he claimed to have evidence,” said Special Agent Scott McGaunn, who investigated the case from the FBI’s Boston Division, “but it was all lies.”

Protecting its intellectual property was a serious matter for DreamWorks, and the company spent $3 million defending itself against the charges in a case that dragged on with motions, e-mails, and depositions for more than two years.

Gordon produced drawings that appeared to validate his claims, and his attorneys were convinced he had a strong case. “We later showed that those drawings had been falsified and backdated as part of Gordon’s elaborate ruse,” McGaunn said.

Investigators learned that months before the release of Kung Fu Panda, Gordon saw a trailer for the movie. He had previously created drawings and a story about pandas—which he called “Panda Power”—that bore little resemblance to the movie characters. He proceeded to revise his “Panda Power” drawings and story, and renamed it “Kung Fu Panda Power.”

Gordon later filed the copyright infringement suit against DreamWorks, and during the course of that lengthy civil litigation, he perjured himself and provided falsified documents to the court. “He was using the legal system to try and extort over $12 million from DreamWorks,” McGaunn said.

Ultimately, in addition to fabricating and backdating sketches that supported his suit, it was discovered that Gordon intentionally deleted relevant evidence on his computer that he was required to produce, and he lied during court-ordered depositions.

The truth came to light when DreamWorks learned that Gordon had traced some of his panda drawings from a Disney The Lion King coloring book. Those sketches, which he claimed to have drawn in 1992 and 1993, were copied from the coloring book, which was not published until 1996.

“The coloring book discovery was the smoking gun in the civil case,” McGaunn said. Gordon dropped his copyright infringement lawsuit, but he was by no means done with the legal system—he was now the subject of a criminal case for the crimes he had committed. Gordon was ultimately charged with perjury and wire fraud.

At his criminal trial in 2016, Gordon maintained he had not traced his drawings from the coloring book. Instead, he claimed, Disney—like DreamWorks—had copied his drawings and based characters in The Lion King on his work. He also claimed that DreamWorks and Disney had copied other characters from his work.

“The jury didn’t buy it for a second,” McGaunn said.

Gordon was found guilty on numerous counts of perjury and wire fraud. In May 2017, the 51-year-old was sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay more than $3 million in restitution.

“It’s possible that when Gordon first saw the movie he had believed that DreamWorks stole something from him—that he came up with the original idea for a kung fu fighting panda,” McGaunn said. “But even if he did initially believe that, his actions afterward were criminal: He copied and backdated others’ drawings, destroyed computer evidence he was ordered to turn over, and lied under oath—all to further his civil suit.”

In the end, McGaunn said, “Gordon was using the civil court system to extort DreamWorks in the hopes that they would quickly settle. He was counting on that, but he was sadly mistaken.”

GeneChing
02-09-2018, 09:11 AM
This looks like fun.

THEME PARKS

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/kungfupanda_universal.jpg

‘Kung Fu Panda’ Attraction Set To Open At Universal Studios Hollywood (http://www.cartoonbrew.com/theme-parks/kung-fu-panda-attraction-set-open-universal-studios-hollywood-156503.html)
By Amid Amidi | 02/08/2018 3:45 pm

Following its acquisition of Dreamworks Animation, NBCUniversal is beginning to incorporate more of the DWA brand into its theme parks.

This summer, Universal Studios Hollywood will launch the DreamWorks Theatre, where it will present its premier attraction, Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor’s Quest. Created and produced by Dreamworks Animation and Universal Creative, The Emperor’s Quest tells the story of the morning of The Emperor’s Great Feast of Heroes, during which Po embarks on a mission to deliver the rare and precious Liquid of Limitless Power to the palace.

The multi-sensory attraction will introduce, according to Universal Studios, the “first-ever integration of interior projection mapping designed to engulf guests in 180 degrees of immersive adventure.” Developed by Universal Creative, the technique will depict a series of immersive scenic designs that will transform within the interior space.

The desired effect, which will be enhanced with fully-articulated seats that pivot and swivel in tandem with the 180-degree action, is for audiences to feel immersed in each environment as if it were an actual set and not a projection.

The attraction will use seven Christie 4K Boxer Cinema Projectors and 360-degree surround sound audio, and features an original music score by Germaine Franco.

The newly constructed building that houses the Dreamworks Theatre (concept image below) is inspired by Mission revival architecture, and includes a box office ticket seller booth staffed by a three-dimensional Pinocchio character asleep on the job. The interior of the theater will house a collection of 36 Dreamworks movie posters, 20 award statuettes won by the studio, and a collection of maquettes of the characters from The Emperor’s Quest.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/kungfupanda_universal_b.jpg
“Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor’s Quest.”

GeneChing
04-18-2018, 08:19 AM
Po submits Shrek. :p

High-tech Kung Fu Panda attraction to replace Universal Studios' Shrek adventure (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-kung-fu-panda-attraction-20180417-story.html)
By HUGO MARTIN
APR 17, 2018 | 3:50 PM

http://www.latimes.com/resizer/ZI5m6fX68PaQM8i_bNHAEb64HxI=/1400x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/ULCSH5Z2KNCKHJ5VB2AE2IIC7Q.jpg
"Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor's Quest," the newest attraction at Universal Studios, opens on June 15. It replaces the Shrek 4-D theater. (Universal Studios Hollywood)

The newest attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood will open June 15, starring an overweight panda and cutting-edge projection-mapping that places riders in the middle of an action-adventure yarn in China.

"Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor's Quest," is a theater experience featuring seats that gyrate and shift to bring the story to life — with water, smoke, wind and other effects to boot.

It is based on the popular film franchise from DreamWorks Animation, the studio Comcast's NBC Universal acquired for $3.8 billion two years ago. It replaces an aging attraction from the Glendale animation studio featuring the ogre Shrek, who last starred in his own film in 2010.

The real star of the latest attraction, however, will be the seven high-definition projectors that can project moving images on an uneven, 180-degree surface. The mapping technology has become popular at theme parks, having been adopted to portray flying owls and wizards on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood and Disney's most iconic characters on Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland.

The Kung Fu Panda attraction is among several new offerings this season from Southern California theme parks aimed at keeping visitors coming back.

In June, Disney California Adventure Park will open its Pixar Pier, which was previously called Paradise Pier, a tribute to California boardwalk life. The area is being overhauled to include characters from Pixar Animation Studios movies, including "Up," "Monsters Inc." and "The Incredibles."

SeaWorld San Diego plans to launch its newest attraction, a roller coaster dubbed Electric Eel on May 10.

Meanwhile, Disneyland plans to close its popular Pirates of the Caribbean attraction on Sunday to remodel the scene that shows the pirates auctioning off women to become brides. The new scene will instead show pirates selling off the possessions of the townsfolk.

hugo.martin@latimes.com

To read more about the travel and tourism industries, follow @hugomartin on Twitter.

GeneChing
06-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Time to give Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor's Quest (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70821-Kung-Fu-Panda-The-Emperor%92s-Quest-Universal-Studios-ride) its own thread, independent of the Kung Fu Panda thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?39752-Kung-Fu-Panda).

JUN 14, 2018 @ 08:03 PM 1,745 2 Free Issues of Forbes
Universal Studios Hollywood Brings $1.82 Billion 'Kung Fu Panda' Franchise To Life (https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonthompson/2018/06/14/universal-studios-hollywood-brings-1-82-billion-kung-fu-panda-franchise-to-life/#68cd0df12fbb)
Simon Thompson , CONTRIBUTOR
Simon is a producer (TV & Digital) and film & entertainment journalist
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsimonthompson%2Ffiles%2F2018%2 F06%2FDWT-KFP-Press-Event-at-USH-7-1200x800.jpg
Universal Studios Hollywood
Dreamworks Theatre featuring 'Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor's Quest' officially opened its doors at Universal Studios Hollywood on June 14, 2018.

A state-of-the-art attraction inspired by Kung Fu Panda, the film franchise that has taken $1.82 billion at the worldwide box office, has opened at Universal Studios Hollywood.

Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor’s Quest takes guests on an immersive journey that fuses captivating storytelling with groundbreaking visual effects. It also has the honor of being the first attraction to open at the theme park since Universal’s $3.8 billion acquisition of DreamWorks Animation.

Karen Irwin, President and COO, Universal Studios, told invited guests at a lavish launch event: “As our portfolio expands, we are thrilled to bring exciting new entertainment options to our guests.”

With new technology at the forefront of the multi-sensory attraction, Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor’s Quest introduces the first-ever integration of interior projection mapping designed to engulf guests in 180 degrees of immersive adventure and no expense has been spared.

“Every project has its unique challenges. Financially speaking, we don't really comment on numbers. This was certainly a large investment but it's really not so much about that,” Universal Creative Senior Director/Executive Producer Jon Corfino told me at the opening. “What it's really about is how you take what we try to do here which was to create a place, the first DreamWorks attraction, to establish a theater environment and then help bring it to life as the new home of DreamWorks here at Universal.”

He added: "I want to do a shout out to our partners at DreamWorks because right around that time the whole transaction took place, we became immediately involved with them.”

“What's very important in dealing with any brand is integrity and this is the DreamWorks brand. Dealing with their team and using their expertise to bring these characters to life and then kind of morphing them into what we do well was really a rewarding experience and it worked really, really well in a very compressed time frame.”

GeneChing
08-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Quentin Tarantino says 'Kung Fu Panda' is just a 'straight-up parody' of 'Kill Bill' (https://www.insider.com/quentin-tarantino-kung-fu-panda-is-parody-of-kill-bill-2019-8)
Tom Murray 2h

https://amp.insider.com/images/5aba7be932167424008b45f7-960-720.jpg
Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman, star of "Kill Bill." Ian Gavan/Getty Images

Quentin Tarantino thinks "Kung Fu Panda" is a rip off of the "Kill Bill" films, which he directed.

The director told BBC Radio 1 that "Kung Fu Panda" was "a straight-up parody" of "Kill Bill" — "in every way."

The Dreamworks animated film does bear a number of similarities with the Uma Thurman action flick, thematically, in the soundtrack, and even in some characters.

Tarantino isn't losing sleep over the comparison, though: "They're keeping me pop-culturally relevant," he said.

The influence of Quentin Tarantino is felt across the entertainment industry.

The iconic director is often referenced in major film and TV franchises, like "The Simpsons," and even the Marvel Comic Universe.

Sometimes, this means Tarantino's unmistakable mark is seen in unexpected places.

According to Quentin Tarantino, "Kung Fu Panda" — the Dreamworks animated film franchise starring Jack Black — is one of them.

"Frankly," Tarantino recently told BBC Radio 1's Film Critic Ali Plumb, "'Kung Fu Panda' is just a straight-up parody of 'Kill Bill.' In every way!"

"Obviously they saw the script," he added.

"Cut to Kung Fu Panda 5 and a TV show."

There do indeed seem to be a number of parallels between the two franchises.

The training montage in "Kung Fu Panda," released in 2008, bears a remarkable similarity to that in "Kill Bill: Volume 2," released in 2004.

In "Kill Bill," the training sequence ends with Pai Mei telling Beatrix (Uma Thurman) that she can't eat unless she uses her chopsticks.

https://amp.insider.com/images/5d553d2a4afbf9131e1a8f34-960-720.jpg
A scene from "Kill Bill: Volume 2." Miramax

Meanwhile, in "Kung Fu Panda," Master Shifu ends Po's training session with a chopstick fight over a bowl of dumplings.

https://amp.insider.com/images/5d553d5d4afbf9355665eb82-960-720.jpg
A scene from "Kung Fu Panda." 20th Century Fox

In the trailer version of the same sequence, "Kung Fu Panda" uses the song "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" by Japanese rock musician Tomoyasu Hotei — a song made famous by "Kill Bill" as O-Ren Ishii's entrance music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYq_Jpxdq2A

Furthermore, in the Nickelodeon cartoon series that followed the films, "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness," a kung fu master by the name Pai Mei— a name obtained from the Kill Bill character — makes a brief appearance.

You could even argue that the "Furious Five" of "Kung Fu Panda" align with the "Fox Force Five" mentioned by Thurman's Mia Wallace in "Pulp Fiction," who are then realized by the characters in the "Kill Bill" films.

The list goes on.

Plumb joked that Tarantino must be wondering where his royalties are, but it doesn't seem like the director is losing sleep over it.

"They're doing me a favor, they're keeping me pop-culturally relevant. Priceless," he said.

The master-trains-student chopstick scene was done by Jackie Chan in The Fearless Hyena (1979).

Don't even get me started on Pai Mei (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=131). :rolleyes:

THREADS
Kung Fu Panda (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?39752-Kung-Fu-Panda)
Kill Bill (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?18892-Kill-Bill)

GeneChing
12-28-2020, 10:27 AM
There are more pix from different angles if you follow the link.

Reebok Releasing Special Kung Fu Panda Collection (https://sneakerbardetroit.com/kung-fu-panda-reebok-release-date/)

by Mario Briguglio
Dec 28, 2020
Kung Fu Panda Reebok Collection
https://sneakerbardetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Kung-Fu-Panda-Reebok-Collection.jpg
To celebrate the fourth installment of the Kung Fu Panda franchise releasing in 2021, Reebok will be offering a special collection similar to what they did with the Minions back in October 2020.

The collection includes the Reebok Instapump Fury and two Reebok Club C color options. The Instapump Fury sports a Panda-like Black and White upper paired with Tan overlays, dual pull tabs, Gum rubber soles completed with Kung Fu Panda graphics on the Pump and insoles.

Both Club Cs are completed different from each other, with one featuring a Sail upper with special details, graphic lining and insoles atop a Gum sole, while the other is constructed in a mix of materials. Those include suede, canvas, corduroy, and burlap, completed with co-branded tongues and graphic insoles.

Kung Fu Panda Reebok Release Date
Look for the Kung Fu Panda x Reebok Collection to release on January 15th at select retailers and Reebok.com.

Kung Fu Panda x Reebok Instapump Fury
Style Code: GZ8632
Release Date: January 15, 2021
https://sneakerbardetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Kung-Fu-Panda-Reebok-Instapump-Fury-GZ8632-Release-Date-1.jpg

Kung Fu Panda x Reebok Club C 85
Style Code: GZ8633
https://sneakerbardetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Kung-Fu-Panda-Reebok-Club-C-85-GZ8633-Release-Date-1.jpg

Kung Fu Panda x Reebok Club C 85
Style Code: GZ8634
https://sneakerbardetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Kung-Fu-Panda-Reebok-Club-C-85-GZ8634-Release-Date-1.jpg

threads
Shoes (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?18427-Shoes)
Kung-Fu-Panda (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?39752-Kung-Fu-Panda)

GeneChing
03-16-2022, 08:29 AM
Happy National Panda Day!

‘Kung Fu Panda’: Jack Black to Reprise Role in New Netflix Animated Series (https://www.tvinsider.com/1036515/kung-fu-panda-jack-black-to-reprise-role-in-new-netflix-animated-series/)
Martin Holmes
29 MINS AGO
https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/kung-fu-panda-the-dragon-night-image-4-1420x798.jpg
Netflix
Netflix is celebrating National Panda Day with the announcement that Jack Black is returning as the Kung Fu Panda, Po, for a new animated series, Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight.

Black confirmed the news on his social media pages on Wednesday (March 16), preparing fans for another globe-trotting adventure with the heroic yet accident-prone giant panda Po. Helmed by DreamWorks Animation, the new series is executive produced by Shaunt Nigoghossian (Bunnicula) and Peter Hastings, who previously developed the 2011 Nickelodeon spinoff series Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness.

The story of the new series revolves around a mysterious pair of weasels who set their sights on a collection of four powerful weapons. It’s up to Po to leave his home and head out on a quest for redemption and justice. On his journey, Po finds himself partnered up with a no-nonsense English knight named Wandering Blade. These two mismatched warriors embark on an epic adventure to save the world — and they may even learn a thing or two from each other along the way.

Kung Fu Panda was first released in 2008 and was directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. It starred the voices of Black, Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Ian McShane, Seth Rogen, and Lucy Liu. It became the third highest-grossing film of 2008, launching a multimedia franchise along with two movie sequels and two TV series, the previously mentioned Legends of Awesomeness and Prime Video’s Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny.

The Dragon Knight marks the first time Black has reprised his role for a TV spinoff — only Liu and James Hong reprised their film roles for the Legends of Awesomeness. Chris Geere also stars as Klaus, alongside Della Saba as Veruca.

Check out the first look images from the new series below.

https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/kung-fu-panda-the-dragon-night-image-3.jpg
Kung Fu Panda: Dragon Knight: Season 1. Jack Black as Po in Kung Fu Panda: Dragon Knight: Season 1. Cr. NETFLIX © 2022

https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/kung-fu-panda-the-dragon-night-image-2.jpg
Kung Fu Panda: Dragon Knight: Season 1. (L-R) Chris Geere as Klaus, Della Saba as Veruca, and Jack Black as Po in Kung Fu Panda: Dragon Knight: Season 1. Cr. NETFLIX © 2022

https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/kung-fu-panda-the-dragon-night-image-1.jpg
Kung Fu Panda: Dragon Knight: Season 1. (L-R) Jack Black as Po and Della Saba as Veruca in Kung Fu Panda: Dragon Knight: Season 1. Cr. NETFLIX © 2022

threads
Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72285-Kung-Fu-Panda-The-Dragon-Knight)
Kung-Fu-Panda (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?39752-Kung-Fu-Panda)
Pandas! (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?54939-Pandas!)

YinOrYan
03-18-2022, 09:12 AM
Happy National Panda Day!

That's awesome that they are keeping the legend of awesomeness going...