PDA

View Full Version : a question for david ross

hskwarrior
12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
or for any CTS people.

Why didn't Chan Tai san stick to one sifu?

did he just not find anyone good enough?

im only wondering, thats all.

are there any stories behind that?

frank

syn
12-30-2005, 02:37 PM
To be honest I don't know who Chan Tai san is except he's the one with htose cool stories.

shirkers1
12-30-2005, 04:12 PM
they should just make an f'n chan tai forum on it's own!!!! Between the 8 step mantis crap over on the mantis board and the chan tai stories here these forums are becoming an even bigger waste of time.

hskwarrior
12-30-2005, 05:32 PM
why is keeping chan tai sans name alive such a big waste of time?

his people are proud of him, so whats the problem?

as long as they never say chan tai san was better than so and so they can brag about him all they want. its when they cross the line is when we should speak up.

hsk

syn
12-30-2005, 05:59 PM
So who is Chan Tai san?

PangQuan
12-30-2005, 06:15 PM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34317

start on page one. its actually very interesting reading.

shirkers1
12-30-2005, 06:39 PM
my point being is that there are a number of threads open about this topic why not centralize it instead of having so many different threads open.

Mr Punch
12-30-2005, 07:03 PM
as for the whle thing of sticking with only one teacher - the more i learn about CMA culture, the more it becomes obvious that sticking to one guy was not the norm, at least for the serious CMA people - in fact, seems as if teachers actively encouraged students to go learn from other people once they had attained a certain level of skill;And therefore you would say that sticking to one art was not the norm either for serious TCMA people?

If it's the answer I think it is it needs to be typed large and many times all over this board...!;)

lkfmdc
12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
I know "someone" who knows a lot of TCMA masters :rolleyes: , "he" :rolleyes: says that all of them without exception have studied with more than one teacher

Chan Tai San's first teacher was probably the stone mason that worked on his father's farm. Chan Tai San was just a kid at the time and he sort of followed the stone mason around while he worked the farm, the mason fed CTS candy and showed him some Hung Kuen and Jow Ga...

Subsequently, upon the death of his father, CTS was adopted by Jyu Chyuhn, his MAIN teacher..... CTS learned most of his base martial arts from one teacher, and expanded from there...

In one case, CTS logically learned from a lot of teachers, ie that was when he was in the army in a special division made up of all kung fu fighters. They obviously trained togehter, and since they fought and died together they were willing to trade technique.... if somehting I know that I can teach you means you one day might save my life, I"m willing to show you!!! Not the old "my school vs your school" stuff in a thing like a war against an invading army

During the war years Chan Tai san trained with "white haired devil", learned Bak Mei, a lot of stuff....

Another thing that inspired CTS to seek many teachers was to understand the lama system. It had been split into two major divisions by the time sifu was born

one followed Wong Yan Lam

the other followed Wong Lam Hoi

Only Jyu Chyuhn had studied with BOTh guys, so his Lama tradition was really different, but Sifu Chan didn't know that until he started meeting the other lineages

Ultimately, Sifu Chan had over 11 different masters he learned Tibetan (Lama) martial art from....

Another thing though, we heard all these stories about sifu challenging these masters (and then getting beaten up most of the time!)

We asked him why he challenged every master he met, and he said "why would I study if I could beat them?"..... maybe feudal and old school, even backward and thuggish, but he wanted to be the best and he sought to be better all the time

That is what drove him