PDA

View Full Version : Bagua Videos

Anthroman
03-05-2001, 05:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for good ba gua videos, particularly
any dealing with jiang rong qiao's original form?
Also if you had any suggestions for videos to stay away from that would be Helpful too. Thanks
--Anthroman

neijiachuan
03-06-2001, 01:29 AM
You may want to check out www.chiflow.com. (http://www.chiflow.com.) I know that Gerald Sharp practices and teaches this style of Bagua and Xingyi. However, I know nothing of Gerald's credentials so I am not necessarily recommending them to you. Hope this helps.

neijiachuan

Leimeng
03-06-2001, 02:45 AM
I recommend that you go to www.traditionalstudies.org (http://www.traditionalstudies.org) and pick up the YinFu Bagua videos offered by Mr Xie Pei Qi. Of all the Bagua videos offered on the market, (I have seen most), these are definitely the best. Very systematic in approach. Additionally, I have had the pleasure of working out with the individuals in the tapes and can assure you that they are very capable and talented martial artist. The 80 year old Dr Xie Pei Qi can hit harder than almost anyone I know.
I also know that Mr Mike Patterson in Sandiego has some tapes on Hsing I. I am not sure the tape quality, however, I know that Mr Patterson has quite a bit of martial skill.
I hope this helps out some.

Peace

yi beng, kan xue

beiquan
03-06-2001, 03:55 AM
i believe theblacktaoist has some videos on the original form at www.blacktaoist.com (http://www.blacktaoist.com) ... i haven't ordered any yet so i can't comment on the quality.

TheBigToad
03-07-2001, 06:00 PM
Dr. XiePei videos are indeed soemthing to make a very deep study of, and infact I do. Mike Paterson while he is primarly a Xingyiquan man his Baguazhang doesn't lack much at all and having spent time with senior students of his and seeing him move and profrom techniques in real time speed his power is clearly seen and his two Bagua videos are worth a look.
Dr. John Painter, while he reserves most of what he teaches for in person classes, his video seris is good and shows a good deal of very basic ideas and the intent/energy behind the Jiulong method 8 mother palms in various situations, being a student of his and feeling him proform techniques and move and having my entire being shaken to it's core by him, his power/understanding too is clearly seen and might too be worth a look.

Sam Wiley
03-08-2001, 12:51 AM
Erle Montaigue has a good video out teaching Jiang's form as well as a linear fighting form. It also has circle walking practice, qigong, some basic applications and a bit about Bagua pushing hands training, as well as a bit of heavy bag stuff if I remember right. He also teaches three extra palm changes, the bear, tiger, and crane (I think it's the crane, but it's a bird anyway). There's also a demonstration section with both the circular and linear forms shown full speed and non-stop. His is a very good video.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

Panther
07-02-2001, 05:06 AM
Could anyone tell me about Erle Montaigue his knowledge and qualification in the art of Baguazhang? How are his video tapes?

Braden
07-02-2001, 05:32 AM
Erle Montaigue (www.taijiworld.com), Gerald Sharp (www.chiflow.com), Jerry Allan Johnson (http://www.jps.net/stma/videos.htm) and Mike Patterson (www.hsing-i.com) all have videotapes showing Jiang Rong Qiao's original form. Mr. Patterson calls the form by another name, but it is the second of his two bagua tapes.

I haven't seen any of them though, so cannot comment on the quality.

[This message was edited by Braden on 07-02-01 at 08:38 PM.]

Panther
07-02-2001, 11:28 PM
So how about the quality of their videos?
Which way should I go, through Erle Montaigue? or
John Painter?
Which videos is best for beginners? which one of them explains everything in layman terms?

walkthecircle
07-03-2001, 12:38 AM
Hi.

Sifu Park has 2 great videos and 2 great companion books for the fundementals of Pa Kua chang.

He goes over the basics in serious detail.

A great resource for "all things Pa Kua" is the Pa Kua chang journals. Covers many many masters from the US, China, Tawain. Published in the early 90's. They have fighting philosphy, chi gong...everything you ever wanted to know about various styles of Pa Kua and choosing a style to go deeply on. Those are available at Plum flower press.

here's my sifu's web site...and there's a thread about sifu park on this site also..

If you live near china town there's a few students up there that teach...and in NJ there's a school thre also.

www.pa-kua.com/ (http://www.pa-kua.com/)

Best of luck in your search.

walkthecircle
07-03-2001, 12:43 AM
the videos are great BUT this art is so complex and detailed that you really should find a teacher.

Anthroman
07-03-2001, 02:13 AM
I have a teacher, the videos are just to add to what I learn in class. Which is what I would say videos are best for.
Anthroman

Sam Wiley
07-03-2001, 03:50 PM
Panther,
Erle Montaigue has studied and/or trained with a lot of masters, including Ho Ho-choy, who was one of Chiang's disciples. Erle's basic Bagua tape is pretty comprehensive, and goes into some detail that others do not. His tapes designed for higher levels of study have details you will probably not see on other's tapes period. If you are going to try learning from tapes, I would recommend his because of his painstaking attention to detail.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

Panther
07-03-2001, 08:27 PM
So could anyony who has purchased John Painter's videos comment on the quality of these tapes and on John Painter himself?
John Painter has for beginners I believe these tapes:
Vol 1:Training Principles:Stances
Postures, Palms and Linear Forms
Vol 2:Training Principles:Walking the circle
and combat games

Erle Montaigue has for beginners BAGUAZHANG THE COMPLETE BASIC SYSTEM

which of these tapes would anyone who have purchased them recommend. I am looking for a tape that once viewing I will be able to grasp the content of the video.Also are there any applications in these videos and what is the duration of these videos?

[This message was edited by PANTHER on 07-04-01 at 11:56 AM.]