PDA

View Full Version : Qigong Healing

woliveri
01-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Some Qigong Masters have told me and I've heard Chinese TCM Qigong doctors say we should not use Qi to Heal except in an emergency. Then again, I've seen and heard of some Masters using Qi to Heal patients.

This is confusing.

The only thing I can come up with here is.

Some qigong training is higher than others such that it will allow for qi healing.

Does anyone have any experiences or understandings that would help clear this up?

_William_
01-03-2006, 01:04 PM
I am reading a book right now, "Therapeutic Touch: A Practical Guide" by Janet Macrae. On reading it, I was surprised by the methodical nature and depth of the practice. I recommend this book. To my understanding, it has been used by some nurses.

Heres a quote from the book:

In addition to removing obstructions and balancin disorder, the practioner directs the life energy into the ill person. this serves to strengthen the individual so that healing can occur more effectively. The concept of the energy field is essential with respect to this practice, because it permits us to draw upon a larger, almost limitless resource for healing. If you were to think of yourself and the patient as seperate buckets, one emptying its contents into another, the donor would soon become depleted. If, on the other hand, you consciously draw from the universal field, you will be continually replenished from an inexhaustible source.

Perhaps there are parallels in qigong healing. Hope this helps.

woliveri
01-03-2006, 01:14 PM
William,

Thank you for your reply.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It appears that some Qigong Masters can draw from the "Universal Field" and others cannot.

EarthDragon
01-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Woliveri,
thanks for the PM. i would have to disagree with the statment that qigong should only be used in emergencies. Actully the anaology I have been taught it that qigong and TCM is a preventive medicine method and that surgery is the emergency proceedure. I.E if you excersize and prevent heart problems then open heart surgery is not neccessary. however without preventive steps then under the knife if the last resort.

Qigong should be practiced daily to prevent health related issues. as such diet, excersize, vitamins etc.etc.

however there are as you said different qigong skills, martial, medical and scholar. As well as higher levels within each catagory.

As far as the book i have not read it however from that clip I would totally agree with what it has stated.

Imagine qi as oxygen. which partly it is. if you could bottle it and give it to a person who is suffering from lack of said o2 then you could induce it to that person and promote proper breathing and thus health. This is a crude way of looking at qi and its principles. be well

Asmo
01-04-2006, 10:56 AM
This is exactly what I'm talking about. It appears that some Qigong Masters can draw from the "Universal Field" and others cannot.

Everyone draws from the "Universal Field", if you dont, you are dead. It happens when you breath.

What you probably mean is that some people are able to pass their own energy into another person.

woliveri
01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Actually, this is not what I mean at all.

I mean, rather than use the person's own Qi, they can use Universal Qi to treat a patient.

Let me give you some background of some of things I've personally seen and this might help understand my confusion.

1. A Wuji Qigong Master. During a seminar with him, an American Sifu from another part of the state came by with his student and when the seminar broke for lunch this sifu came over to this Wuji Qigong Master and demonstrated his Wai Qi abilities with his student. The student stood in front of the sifu, the sifu put up his hand and the student slowly moved backward. After that the sifu left and the Wuji Qigong Master said "He's using his own qi to affect his student. He will hurt himself if he continues". Thus, this implies using "Universial Qi" to affect people externally for healing or martial arts is ok. He said we should not use our qi to heal people.

2. A Wu Style Taiji Master. During his Taiji class, the Qigong portion, he goes around and "adjusts" people's Qi. Some people start bouncing up and down or swaying back and forth due to the affect of the Qi. When I first came to this class this Taiji teacher placed his palms on my shoulders from behind when we were in the Qigong portion of the class. As the class progressed my feet became itchy more and more. After I arrived home I took off my shoes and socks to see my feet slightly swollen with sunburn type burns on the tops and bottoms of my feet. The next class I told the Taiji Master about this and he said "good". I have not asked him about using qi to heal.

3. A WuDan trained Master. He said he could help patients with Qi but he would need to meditate several hours before the treatment. He also said our minds need to be very clean to do this. I’ve seen this Master boost a person’s qi. When he did he walked around the room to collect qi and then “applied” it to the person using one of the 6 healing sounds.

4. A Bigu Master. This Master contends that one can exist on “Universal Force” with little or no food for extended periods of time. A Bigu. I’ve seen this Master use Qi to heal or adjust people’s qi. Again, then the Master did this one of the 6 healing sounds was used.

That’s what I’ve personally seen. These are things I've heard:

5. A Taoist Master using qi to heal or affect people from across the room.
6. A Mongolian Master using qi to heal bone injuries as a practice. I was told this Master will only teach to her son and that when the time comes she would only need to talk to him for 15 minutes and he would be able to do the same as her.

Asmo
01-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Maybe I have been a little unclear in what I meant. English is not my native language, so excuses for my poor communication here :\

IMO, all your examples are examples where masters pass on energy from them, or though themself, to a patient. And this energy they must 'refill' from the 'universal field'. People who are sick can have blockages or shortages of qi at certain places, which can be 'inserted' by a master though acupoints into the meridian system. The sick people (or taiji chuan practicioners or anyone else alive) do have energy of themself flowing through the meridian system as well. If not, they would be death (dead?).

Energy is inherited from our parents, and energy comes to us from food and from the air we breath. Maybe I am completly misinterpreting the term 'universal qi' here, but in my knowledge of english, this is the energy we breath in, and consists the bigger part of the qi we take in day to day.

My apologies if I misunderstood your intention...

PS: I fully agree with EarthDragon that chikung excercises are first and foremost meant to be preventative, instead of being used in emergencies. That is not to say that chikung cant be used in emergencies ofcourse, but their real power lies in the rpevention of diseases.

woliveri
01-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Asmo,

Thank you for your reply and no need to apologize.

Yes, I understand your meaning regarding breathing in of air combined with food together give the body qi. Take a look at the Qi Character in my avatar, the character on top. This character has two parts.
The top part is Qi meaning air or gas.

气【qì】 gas; air
The bottom part is Mi, uncooked rice.
米【mi】 rice; shelled or husked seed;.

If we apply these terms to building a fire, the air being air of course and the wood being food then we can see how we can receive energy from breath. We can also see how important the quality of food and air is in our practice and how deep breathing fans the flames of that fire producing heat.

The energy that we receive from our parents could be analgyzed to burning coals passed from our parents to us.

Now, the difference I'm talking about is breathing not only through the lungs but also through the pores of the skin, through the Bai Hui and other major acupuncture points to receive energy from the Atmosphere into the body.

It could be that once our channels are open enough that we can easily draw in qi through these other methods and once that is accomplished we can use this qi to treat people. In other words, the channels are open to the Atmospheric Qi (Universal Qi) and can easily be drawn in and therefore can be readily used to treat or help people.

Does this make sense? I'm kinda trying to work this out in my mind as I type.

Asmo
01-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Yes that makes sense, I practice chikung daily, one of which is brocate 8 so I'm aware as well on the 'intake' of chi over points instead of the lungs. I guess I've just been misinterpreting your post a little :)

TR Joiner
01-11-2006, 02:34 PM
GREETINGS OLIVERI,

I happened to take a look at your post about Qi Gong Healing and although I've never heard that, the suggestion that we should only use Qi Gong Healing in an emergency is interesting. Like you, I also find it somewhat confusing. However, my guess would be that it could quite possibly relate to the main purpose for Qi Gong practice in all of its different forms which according to my understanding is to replenish, nourish, and conserve the vital energy. The more energy that is stored or accumulated by the practitioner through daily Qi Gong practice, the use of herbal supplements to nourish, and cultivate Qi, along with the conservation of sexual energies, the more abundant the Qi will be... which enables us to use the excess energy for healing. The objective must always be to replenish ones vital energy when it is used that way in order to avoid Qi depletion, which can render the healer ineffective and quite possibly result in his or her own poor health. I am told that it is the reason that the higher level practitioners are extremely guarded about when and how they use their vital energy.

T.R.Joiner

www.seaofchi.com

Xiao3 Meng4
01-11-2006, 06:22 PM
There are at least two schools of Qi Gong which claim to tap into the Qi of the Universe for 3rd party healing purposes. In China, the name of the school is LING QI (Universal Qi). In Japan, the same School exists with the same name, albeit with a Japanese Pronunciation - it's called REI KI (Universal Qi)

Personally, I reccomend Qi Gong as a practice for individual cultivation. If the ability to help people heal emerges as a result of such practice, then the natural course of action will reveal itself simultaneously, and there will be no confusion.

CSP