PDA

View Full Version : Reprint - Good information and anecdotes about GM Wei

commoner
01-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Hello,

I want to change pace on this whole 8 Step issue. I found an archive post from John Chang send on behalf by bokfu.

I wonder if Mr. ChenGuo-Chin (Vincent) ever opened an 8 Step school in the US.

04-26-2003, 05:42 AM
bokfu
Ba bu disciple Join Date: Jan 1970

Good information and anecdotes about GM Wei

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings to all of you, Ba Bu practitioners!

My sifu and good friend, John (Jia-Hwang) Chang wrote me from Taiwan, where he is very involved and asked if I would be able to post some of his personal experiences of knowing Grandmaster Wei and learning ba bu tang lang from him. Sifu Chang wanted to share what a great man and teacher GM Wei was since not too many people discuss this very important figure in our style. Along with this, sifu has included some interesting thoughts on "ji". So, I will pass on his information to those of you who would like to know more about Grandmaster Wei as well as how to tap into ji. If you have any questions or comments on this information, Sifu Chang would be glad to correspond with you. I will post his e-mail address at the end of this post. (By the way, hello to our distant mantis brothers in Taiwan!)

Please note, the following is from Sifu Chang and I am just sort of the messenger so Sifu is the first person in this.

8 STEP PM
After reading KFO forum, I would like to talk about GM Wei, not only as a great martial artis but also a great person. Also, I would like to introduce some more of GM Wei's students along with some personal opinions about 8 step. Some of these stories Grandmaster Wei personally told me and some told by others. So, please make any comment you like if you have any other input.

8 STEP FORMS
When GM Wei starte to teach 8 step in the 60's, he taught all the forms, especially forms 1-6 and demonstrated how to practice each individual movement. When I started to learn the forms in the 70's, GM Wei was only teaching the forms up to the 3rd section to his students and even then would not demonstrate the more difficult moves because of his age. (He was 72 years old when I started.) I then learned seven forms but no weapons in four years of study. GM Wei told me that the weapon is the extension of the form. It is useless to learn the weapon if one was not good at the form. This is the reason that I did not learn any weapon from GM Wei. (Based on his standards, just a few students qualified to be taught a weapon.) I did ask him how I could teach if I only had just a few forms. His answer was "You only need to know one form and get good at it. You already know more than you need to. If you really run out the form during teaching, make up a new form by yourself." After 20 plus years of dedicated training, I have yet to run out of forms.

TEACHING
Every time GM Wei wanted to demonstate the application of a movement, the senior students always tried to find a place to hide. GM Wei would apply the movement to the student and usually we would all end up on the ground from a very tactful punch. He never hurt us badly, but the punch was very painful. Whenever our Fungi Fu brothers got together, we would always talk about Grandmaster Wei and how painful it was getting put down. This was the way that GM Wei would teach. He made sure everyone was down and felt some pain. If one did not catch the movement, GM Wei would put that person down again. If one was to ask three times for the same demonstration of movement in one day, Grandmaster Wei would say "How can you still not understand?" At that point he would put that person down on the ground again with truly excruciating pain! This was the way that we learned from GM Wei.

One other story about Grandmaster Wei's punching follows. One day, GM Wei said to Mr. Wu (who was teaching 8 step part time at Taxis) "you guys do not even know how to do a straight punch." Then, GM Wei made a simple, slow, straight punch to Mr. Wu. Mr. Wu tried to block this punch three times but still got hit in the chest. Mr. Wu told me that he could not move Grandmaster Wei's arm, regardless, whether up, down, or sideways.

Another incident follows: One day, one of the students (we were practicing in the park) in our group noticed someone watching GM Wei's teaching. He remarked that someone was watching the teaching and was trying to steal the movements. Grandmaster Wei said "I can hold your hand to teach you and you would still not be able to catch this movement. I will teach anybody who can catch the movement by only watching"

Grandmaster Wei was always tough on the students no matter how much money had been paid. I only paid GM Wei for 3 months and then he refused to accept my money. This is the reason that up to now, when I teach a student, I do not accept any payment. I remember one time when Master Laing (a Tai Chi teacher from the states) asked Grandmaster Wei to teach him some of the variation of forms for a tidy sum of money. Mr. Laing thought that he would learn some secret movements, which Grandmaster Wei told him did not exist. GM Wei also told Mr. Laing that he would learn the same material as the rest of his students. Master Laing accepted. Later, he found that what he learned was really no different than the others.

Grandmaster Wei was the most honest person that I have known. He always taught us everything he knew. The only drawback for the students was that no one could make the movements remotely close to him! In fact, in 20 years of practice, I still have not discovered how to generate the power that Grandmaster Wei had.

PI (split-open)-CHUNG(fist)
There are some steps in the traditional Kung Fu teaching process. I may make some mistakes in those steps because I was told so long ago. So, please correct me if I am wrong. First step is teaching form. Second step is teaching the application of the techniques in the form. Third step is teaching the variation of the application. It means, what happens to your enemy as he changes his movement, and how you are supposed to change to it. It is called Pi-Chung. Fourth is how to generate Ji.

In 1974 or 1975, Grandmaster Wei stayed at a hospital for a few weeks due to a skin illness. A group of young students came up with a schedule to ensure a student would be there with GM Wei at the hospital 24 hours per day to take care of him. After Grandmaster Wei recovered and was back to teach in the park, I overheard a conversation between GM Wei and Mr. Lin (Paul Lin's father). He said "my students took care of me while I was in the hospital. Those students treated me better than my family." A few days later, Grandmaster Wei started to teach Pi-Chung. This action only lasted a week because those students did not practice. Grandmaster Wei stopped teaching Pi-Chung.

STUDENTS
Before I talk about GM Wei's students, I would like to talk about the type of student that he would not teach. The following type of students were rejected many times by GM Wei.

Students who did not show respect to the senior students, teachers or style.

Students who used the teacher's name or used the name of a style making false statements and cheated.

Students who used what was learned from the school to start illegal business.

Other students with similar morals were never accepted.

Grandmaster Wei had a lot of students. Some may recognize the names such as Master Su Yi-Zhung and Master Lin (Paul Lin's father). Now I would like to introduce two more student who may not be recognized.

Mr. ChenGuo-Chin (Vincent)
Mr. Chen started to learn from GM Wei back in the 60's. He has never stopped his practice since then. He has the best fighting experience among all of Grandmaster Wei's students. In the 70's, he literally could and did fight us with one hand held behind his back! As soon as he pulled that other hand out from behind, we were thrown immediately to the ground. After my practicing for so many years, we had a friendly meeting in San Jose. While talking of mantis, Mr. Chen threw me down for nonstop for 30 minutes with no repeated movement! Mr. Chen also learned Ba-Gai and other styles. He is also a great friend of Master Su. Mr. Chen has mentioned some stories of his punching a guy three times and the guy was put into the hospital several months. Also an interesting thing Mr. Chen mentioned about Master Su was when he killed a sheep without touching it. Mr. Chen will be moving to the United States in 2004 and he will be opening an eight step mantis school. I will let everyone know when this comes to pass.

Mr. Zuo Hsien-Fu
Mr. Zuo learned from Grandmaster Wei at the Taiwan University starting in 1971. He opened the only 8 step mantis school at Taipei ten years ago. Mr. Zuo spent 3 years with GM Wei before the passing of GM Wei. Sone one told me that Mr. Zuo practically lived in GM Wei's home during that time. Mr. Zuo is the only person that I know who can connect Tu-Bai with 8 step mantis. Mr. Zuo published more than 10 8-step related articles at Chinese Kung Fu magazine. He also reprinted Grandmaster Wei's second book and plans to have the third book reprinted also.

EXTERNAL STYLE AND INTERNAL STYLE
The difference between external and internal style is how to generate the power of the movement. Internal style uses Ji and external style uses force. The difference of Ji and force is relaxing. Ji requires relaxing and force requires tension.

So, any good Kung Fu style can be external or internal depending on how the power is generated. Based on the above definition, 8 step shall be an internal style. It is why Grandmaster Wei could be so powerful on every single movement even when he was in his 70's!

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-04-2006, 01:20 PM
"You only need to know one form and get good at it. You already know more than you need to. If you really run out the form during teaching, make up a new form by yourself."

I like the way that man thinks!

My sentiments exactly. Traditional forms are cool and valuable, but NOT the heart of a style. I don't think they should be worshipped the way they are nowadays.

woliveri
01-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Hua Lin Laoshi,

My sentiments exactly. Traditional forms are cool and valuable, but NOT the heart of a style. I don't think they should be worshipped the way they are nowadays.

Exactly. That is part of my meaning of learning in Wah Lum up to 8th level completion and then Haul @zz.

After a point I felt like everything was running together.

woliveri
01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Something just came to me. I used to train with a Vietnamese man who told me about someone he knew in Vietnam.

This guy, all he did was push a large tree stump from one side of his yard to the other. This was his training. Everyday, day after day. Get into a horse stance, get close to the stump and push it with his palms.

One day they were walking together when two bandits stopped them and ordered them to give the bandits their money. My friend instantly readied himself for a fight but before he could do anything, his friend (Mr. Tree Stump) quickly stepped forward thrusting his palms into the two bandits chests and sent them flying and leaving palm prints on their chests.

After that I thought up a training for a side kick. To take a car tire and get into a squat and side kick it to move it along. Not really a kick but a push. Then move forward into another squat and do it again. And then work it that way, both sides. Everyday, day after day. However, I never got a chance to employ that training method. I think it would be a heck of a training method for a young whipper snapper.

Simple basic training.

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Sounds like Master Chan's story of the guy with the pig. :)

woliveri
01-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Hey Hua Lin Laoshi,

I never heard that one before.

Sounds dangerous? :eek:

:-)

EarthDragon
01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Commoner, My hat goes off to you for sheding some positive light on 8 step! i loved readiong what John Wrote. words form a truley humble man. one day i hope to meet him when I go back SF in the next couple years.

does anyone have anymore info on Pi-Chung?

Also has anyone heard of Mr. ChenGuo-Chin (Vincent) moving to the US? and if so where?

Funny that this came up as I just had to cut and paste a section that is indeed humbling in of it's self

Before I talk about GM Wei's students, I would like to talk about the type of student that he would not teach. The following type of students were rejected many times by GM Wei.

Students who did not show respect to the senior students, teachers or style.

Students who used the teacher's name or used the name of a style making false statements and cheated.

Students who used what was learned from the school to start illegal business.

Other students with similar morals were never accepted.

perhaps lot's of confusion and secrecy is weaved through our styles based on the things listed above....

commoner very good reading indeed..........

Oso
01-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Sounds like Master Chan's story of the guy with the pig. :)

c'mon man, you gotta tell that one!

supposedly the best way to get rid of a human body is to feed it to pigs.