PDA

View Full Version : heineken: dark lager

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
first beer is goin down nice and smooth. i think im a fan.

ill let you guys know how beer 6 goes.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-04-2006, 10:57 PM
on 4 and id say its a really decent beer that isn't worth the price.

i thought it would at least be as strong as amberbock, but its about the same as regular heineken. its very tasty, but at 8 bucks a 6pack ill stick with amberbock or budweiser.

Oso
01-05-2006, 04:33 AM
hadn't seen it yet.

6/$8 isn't that bad for an occasional six pack...round here a 6 of Heineken is $7 anyway.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-05-2006, 11:23 AM
yeah but amber bock is only 5.50 and bud is 4.50 .... i havent purchased nattie or the beast since i was about 19 (not that i havent drank them), but i do try to save a little here and there.

of course if occassional and beer went togeather in some reasonable sense id probably agree with you. not that i get drunk everynight or anything, but i feel like winnie the pooh, but with beer. every night around 10 or so i feel that its time for a lil smackeral of something.

SPJ
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
personally, I like lion beer from munich in Bavaria Germany.

I am biased.

:D

Oso
01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
man, that's just beautiful...I bow to a master...I've never even thought of a Winnie ther Pooh beer analogy.

norther practitioner
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I think heineken is the most over rated, over priced beer on the market.. but then again, it is the second highest selling import.

Oso
01-05-2006, 09:23 PM
I never used to drink it...don't too much now but occasionally I buy a 6-pack in memorium of a buddy of mine that died. Now, sometimes, it's the beer I want to drink. It is definitely overpriced here at 6.99 a six.

We've got several local brews that are less and much better.

You guys be on the lookout for Tasgall Ale by Highland Brewing. Some of their older beers may be in national circulation by now but this one was released just after we 'popped the cap' on the old 6% law.

It's the 2nd from the bottom. It's a **** fine beer.

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/beerstyles.htm#

IronFist
01-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Heineken is awful. Maybe the dark lager is better.

Oso
01-06-2006, 07:09 AM
c'mon, be a little more cosmopolitan than that, just because you don't like the taste of it doesn't mean it's awful.

I detest the extreme bitterness of IPA's but I realize that 30,000 hippies in the city of Asheville alone can't be all wrong about it. I think they drink it to wash the taste of pot out of their mouths, though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-06-2006, 10:53 AM
its about da mn time someone gives me the recognition i deserve :)

iron fist .... trust me on this one dude ... if you like beer at all there may come a day when you suddenly like heineken. i just recently took to it and its now one of my top 10 favorate beers. i dunno what happened ... i used to think it tasted like skunky camel ****, but now im a fan.

IronFist
01-06-2006, 11:41 AM
^ Alright, I'll trust you, GDA.

I like beer a lot, but I've never had a Heineken that I liked. Someone told me that because of their bottles or something, like 1/3 of Heinekens are skunked, anyway.

I even like what some people consider to be "strong" tasting beers, like Löwenbräu, but I don't like Heineken at all. I don't like Sam Adams, either.

edit - Beck's is horrible, too.

Oso
01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
well, you haven't really listed any good beers. I don't consider Heineken, or any other beer produced in that sort of quantity, to be good.

But, there's a time and place for a Heineken...and a Bud Light. I took my girlfriend to a rodeo for our first date and the Bud Light they were serving totally fit the venue. Those rednecks would have run us out on a rail if I had asked for a Chimay.

fa_jing
01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
www.ratebeer.com is a good place to visit, although they tend to rate the american beers too highly

my recent faves
Svyturys Ekstra > Zywiec Jasne Pelne > Ferdinand Dark > Tuborg
>>>>>>>>>>Heineken

As a fan of baltic lagers and Eastern European beers, love living in Chicago.

Oso
01-06-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-breakfast-stout/14956/

who says beer ain't for breakfast anymore?

I go to www.beeradvocate.com most of the time I want to find or check out new beers.

meltdawn
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
mmm... beer. GDA USED TO be my hero until he brought up comparing amberbock to heinekin dark. wtf? oso's right on with Chimay (said like TimMAY and the lords of the underworld). i like lots of belgians including USA ommegang and st. sebastian's. anyone have this year's sammichlaus? it was actually pretty good here, didn't taste like cough syrup. used to be 22% but now it's 15% i think. my personal faves are sour beers like Cantillion and just about all guezes. there's a Flemmish brown ale called duchesse de bourgogne that is THE most awesome complex beer in the world. but if you drink it and think you're going on to something else - don't. top off the night with it.

Donkwoon
01-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Heineken dark has been around for years. I love that beer. You don't see it in stores that much but I did find one near me that carries it. I'm on the wagon for a while right now but in the future I'm sure I'll enjoy a few after a good Kung Fu session.;)

Oso
01-07-2006, 06:14 AM
I've just recently had the Ommegang. It's pretty good, for sure.

NC has just recently come out of the dark ages and lifted the max ABV from 6% to 15%. That still leaves some of the highest gravity beers out of the picture but has certainly opened up the market quite a bit.

I like em dark and somewhat sweet w/ just enough bitterness to keep the sweet fom being sickly.

i like this one a lot.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/2678/

I'm going to pimp that Tasgall Ale again...not sure how it's going to taste in a bottle once it get's out but here in it's home town and on tap it's the best thing I've tasted.

Oso
01-08-2006, 02:10 PM
so, friday is payday...my bills are paid and I've got a little extra....so I went beer shopping.

The Tasgall by Highland is finally out locally as a 22oz bottle for 3.99

sipping on it now, just as tasty as on draft though a bit cold since it was in a cooler.

It will probably only be available regionally in the 22's and won't reach national till they outsource it as they have done with their others brews.

I also got a bottle of Maredsous 10...22oz for 7.99

I've had this on tap in a bar and it was also at our annual brewfest this past fall.
A good belgian.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-10-2006, 07:13 AM
until he brought up comparing amberbock to heinekin dark. wtf?

dude ... amberbock is like the king of american beers. its dark, tasty, and reasonably priced.

heinekin is like only the king of green beers or something. and thats only the green beers at krogers. if sure if i had the resources or put the time into that oso has id find plenty of other green beers i liked much better.

i know its michelobe, but you still aint need to be hatin playa.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-10-2006, 07:15 AM
oso ... where do you get all this info on beers? and better yet where do you purchase these beers once you find this info?

the only beer outside the big players that i have found is yuengling ... which is ****ing awesome .... but i can only get that when i go up to pa for something.

Samurai Jack
01-10-2006, 07:24 AM
There's a reason every dark beer in the world is compared to Guiness on ratemybeer.com. Yet, I could find no rating for the beer itself. What gives?

Guiness. When you've found the perfect stout, why drink anything less?

Oso
01-10-2006, 07:56 AM
GDA, my brother lives in richmond and first turned me on the the 'big beers' a few years back. since then 'big beer lovers' tend to sniff each other out and I found out several people I knew here either brewed (man, have I had some home brew that will make you think you've died and gone to heaven) or were amongst the many people in NC who were road tripping to VA or TN to get 'big beer'

NC just finally increased the ABV from 6% to 15% so now we can get it locally.

It helps if you have a large hippie population near you...'bout the only dang thing they're good for ;)

Guiness is a good stout. But, not by far the best stout. There are tons of milk and cream stouts on the market.

What ****es me off is when some hack bar uses carbon dioxide on their Guiness tap.

FatherDog
01-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Yuengling is unquestionably the best balance between price and quality out there as far as beer goes.

There are better beers, but they're all quite expensive. There are cheaper beers, but none of them are nearly as good as Yuengling.

Oso
01-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I'd heard that about Yuengling but it just didn't work for me.

Just like anything else, it's personal. Just check out some of the wildly varying descriptions on those beer sites. It seems impossible that the same thing can taste so very different from person to person but there you go.

As I said above, I don't get IPA's or ESB's (Extra Special Bitters). I just don't understand why you would want to drink something that bitter for pleasure.

Apparently, I'm more sensative to bitter tastes. My girl loves IPA and to her they don't taste all that bitter. Which is good cuz that means we leave each other's beer alone. :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
*tips bud back*

man ... i really need to broaden my horizons.

joedoe
01-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I'd heard that about Yuengling but it just didn't work for me.

Just like anything else, it's personal. Just check out some of the wildly varying descriptions on those beer sites. It seems impossible that the same thing can taste so very different from person to person but there you go.

As I said above, I don't get IPA's or ESB's (Extra Special Bitters). I just don't understand why you would want to drink something that bitter for pleasure.

Apparently, I'm more sensative to bitter tastes. My girl loves IPA and to her they don't taste all that bitter. Which is good cuz that means we leave each other's beer alone. :D

Actually, I find that the bitter beers are more refreshing. I like the occasional sweet beer, but generally I find the taste gets to me after a while. IMHO the bitter beers have a cleaner, crisper flavour.

Oso
01-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I hear ya. That's why a Bud Light or two at the end of an August (northern hemisphere ;) ) day hit's the spot.

For me, I like just enough bitter so the sweet isn't cloying.

But, all bitter and no sweet just doesn't work for me.

From the Highland Brewing Company's Tasgall label:

"The roasted barley and chocolate malt lend a bold flavor to this delicious dark beer. The increased hop level is a modest departure from a true Scotch-Style ale..."

I should really talk to those guys about a perk or two...

I love a scotch ale...once I get around to brewing my own, I'm gonna aim for a scotch/porter hybrid.

TenTigers
01-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I haven't gotten into the "Big beers" ? yet. and Heiniken reminds me of skunk. (but I kinda like skunk) my faves- are Tsing Tao, but they aren't consistant, Blackened Voodoo Lager-which is dark, but goes down clean and crisp, and McSoreley's Ale on tap-clean, and a bit fruity, or something. I tried Yuengling, didnt much care for it, but since Yuen Ling is the line of Hung Kuen I study, I guess I will start drinking it.
so, ok, what is a big beer, and what is amber bock?

Green Cloud
01-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey Rick ya planing on going to the battle at the board walk in A.C. it's supposed to be the largest tournament in the U.S. What do you think do ya know anything about it?

norther practitioner
01-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Yuengling is unquestionably the best balance between price and quality out there as far as beer goes.

There are better beers, but they're all quite expensive. There are cheaper beers, but none of them are nearly as good as Yuengling.
Yuengling is pretty good, I hadn't had it in years until a couple weeks ago when I was on the east cost.

Here in Colorado, we have oodles of good local brews, and there are so many, we get pretty good prices.....

Fat Tire is a local favorite thats pretty wide spread now...

Dales Pale Ale is one of maybe 3 pale ales I like

singletrack is OK

Mountain Sun in Boulder has good brews

Old Speckled Hen is the my favorite however

Oso
01-11-2006, 03:31 AM
'big beer' refers to the high Alcohol By Volume (ABV) of some of the micro brews out on the market these days.

The Tasgall I keep pimping is 8% ABV. Your average beer is between 4 and 6 %

Some beers are being brewed with seemingly rediculous amounts of alcohol...15%+

Your average Belgian is 8-10; Chimay being the most commonly known Belgian style ale has 7, 8 and 9 % brews.