PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first sword!

Boulder Student
03-06-2001, 01:27 AM
I just ordered a custom tai chi sword from Kris Cutlery. Since I'm 6'3" they changed the handle size as well as the length of the blade to be proportionate. It is sweet. I am so happy.

:D

One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.

GLW
03-06-2001, 01:47 AM
Tell me more...

what are the dimensions...?

blade length, handle, guard? Is it a Taiji jian or a Broadsword...

maybe a picture to see would be good and of course the age old question...How much does a customized job run?

(If it is not to rude to ask)

Boulder Student
03-06-2001, 02:10 AM
I went with the gim style. The blade is high carbon 5160. It is treated differently upon request to give the blade more flexibility The blade cannot be sharpened quite as well with this treatment, but it is supposed to be able to take more abuse. The photo and despcription is http://www.kriscutlery.com/Kris/Chinese/Gim.asp

My sword is different in blade and handle length. The blade is 35" long. The handle is more jian length at 8.25". Including the guard and the pommel the total length is 45.5" the wieght is balanced 5.25" up the blade. The sword weighs in at 2lbs.14oz. It is the first sword that has felt even close to right for me.

Only six more months and I'll get to begin learning to use it properly.

The pricing was very reasonable. Only 35% higher than their regular pricing. Although, I had to wait a very long time since they only take custom orders once or twice a year.

Monkey
03-06-2001, 02:21 AM
Boulder Student
Thanks, I didn't know they did custom orders.
A word of advice, buy a cheaper sword to practice with, as you will be accidently hitting the ground and yourself with the blade as you learn the form and how to use the sword. You don't want to mess up a nice sword like that.

Boulder Student
03-07-2001, 11:13 PM
"you will be accidently hitting the ground and yourself with the blade as you learn the form and how to use the sword. You don't want to mess up a nice sword like that."

Monkey,
Thanks for being so concerned about my sword. I guess I can do without my kneecap.

Prairie
03-07-2001, 11:57 PM
Hey - I emailed them once and they replied that they don't sell any other swords aside from what is on their website.

This is a conspiracy....

:eek:

Boulder Student
03-08-2001, 12:16 AM
Actually Prairie,

The design is their gim. I had the blade and handle lengthened to fit my height. I asked really, really nice and waited six months until they could fit it into their schedule. As far as it truly being custom, I guess that's a stretch.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
03-08-2001, 04:10 AM
Prairie...
You are right, it is a conspiracy. I just asked them the same thing about 3 months ago. I also need a longer handle and blade but they told me they do not accept custom orders! What the heck is going on here?

~ETB

Daniel Madar
03-08-2001, 08:45 AM
Hmmm. They told me that too.

I've heard though, if you buy a lot from them, or you get together with a group all buying the same thing, then it;s possible.

So who wants to go in with me on custom 6 foot bagua dao?

:)

Boulder Student
03-08-2001, 04:49 PM
Hey guys, all I know is that if I asked right now for the same gim, I would be waiting until March 2002. So, I think if you are patient you can get something a little different. I know I would not have gotten my sword if I had needed it in three weeks.

Daniel Madar
03-08-2001, 06:58 PM
Even normal orders from Kris can take forever. That's not the point.

Kaitain(UK)
03-08-2001, 06:59 PM
www.theswordsmith.com (http://www.theswordsmith.com)

wonderful workmanship - I think they do custom work as well