PDA

View Full Version : Thought this video deserved a thread of its own.....

monkeyfoot
01-06-2006, 04:26 AM
Just came across this video of a seminar. Some excellant takedowns, breaks and locks are demonstrated.

Really good execution of technique.

craig

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6896093827851522372&q=kung+fu+kick

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-06-2006, 10:48 AM
i liked it.

some of it was obviously a lil showy, but being that its a demonstration i think that would be the idea. he pulled off some suave sh it.

im waiting to hear how lousey he would do in the ufc, but i personally liked it.

Chief Fox
01-06-2006, 11:49 AM
i liked it.

some of it was obviously a lil showy, but being that its a demonstration i think that would be the idea. he pulled off some suave sh it.

im waiting to hear how lousey he would do in the ufc, but i personally liked it.
I agree. There were a lot of good techniques in there. Some of the flashy stuff was a bit over the top but all in all some really good stuff.

million
01-06-2006, 06:22 PM
rolling throw was cool.

tjmitch
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
At around the 3 minute mark he does the head lock escape to side control, north south to an arm bar which is BJJ 101. Some of it also looked like Kempo to me.

Sifu Darkfist
01-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Very good tech except...
When he deals with the firearm.
Observe the arm is near his body
Very very dangerous
Clear the weapon grab the slide or the hammer housing (unless its a recessed hammer then you grab the cylinder.

But the fact remains you never ever ever ever leave the gun that close to you.
round one diverted by his speed but 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 are easily within his body and after 2 he will note dominate the fight.
he is using technique to deal with hand fighters on firearms. It is like using battleship rules for monopoly

Shaolinlueb
01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
watched 10 seconds of it. descent stuff. some took too long, but then i saw he had a knife in his hand.

problem with stuff like this
1.) we dont use real knives cause we dont want to kill our training partner. which im all for.
2.) this is my biggest pet peeve, opponent does his move and then stops. **** dont happen like that in real life, but its also seminar or demo so its jsut to show move.
3.) other then that i thought it was good for what it was.

shuaichiao
01-07-2006, 10:01 AM
however, personally, I have a real big problem with the initial premise under which he predicates all his knife defenses (I won't even get into the gun stuff - gimmie a break on that silliness), insofar as that anyone who has a clue about how to use a knife would never attack like that (e.g. - all my knife fighting teachers all agreed on one thing - in most cases, if the guy is trained, you won't know that he has a knife until it's in you), and probably most people who haven't trained specifically wouldn't either; also, I am amazed that people out there still think that they can just grab the attacking hand so easily when the reality is it's very hard if someone doesn't want you to, and easy to get cut as the guy tries to avoid getting grabbed; and what about the guys second hand - the guy does a lot of move to the attacker's inside, without taking into consideration that the guy migh ACTUALLY throw the second hand - why do people assume that when someone uses a weapon that the other hand automatically shuts off?

That's a good point for modern self defense but alot of the knife techniques in traditional styles come from ancient military use. If you attacked a soldier in his armour you would need a hard thrust or stab to penatrate and do damage. The pokes and swipes common in a modern street fight wouldn't cut it and niether would any of that wrist slidding and wiggling stuff that people use to show how easy they could beat a hard style block or wrist grabb with a knife. The most likely use for a knife in these systems would be if trying to capture a disarmed opponant at the end of a battle and he still had a knife on him or on guard duty if someone tried to get as close as possible then make a quik commited attack when they got there. So if your demonstrating the traditional techniques of your art there is nothing phony or bs about them but if you claim that they're great self defense techniques in modern times that's another story.

hskwarrior
01-07-2006, 10:32 AM
i agree with chris,

i have a hellava big problem with the knife defenses. they're are unrealistic, and meant for demonstration only.

aside from the filipino martial arts, there are not too many schools out there with extremely effective knife fighting and defense. the one thing missing, is the guy with the knive stops his attack after the first move, and in reality a knife fight doesn't and i repear doesn't go down like that.

a real knife fighter would have had him sliced and diced before he even knew it.

now the gun defense, even with knives, i would never keep the weapon close to my body out of fear of being shot or being stabbed. i would defintely keep his weapon away from me.

aside from that, my favorite technique he did was the scissor kick which flip the guy over instead of just knocking him to the ground.

peace.

Nick Forrer
01-07-2006, 01:05 PM
check out Ridley Scot's film mid to late 1970's film"The Duelists" w/Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel - the foil duel scene in particular is very realistic

Just for anyone who is interested - The scenes were directed by William Hobbs - a former olympic level fencer - who also choreographed the fights for hamlet, cyrano de bergerac, shakespeare in love and the count of monte cristo. Apparently Ridley Scott specificaly told him that he wanted them to be as realistic as possible with no stylisation or aesthetic considerations.

shuaichiao
01-07-2006, 04:29 PM
SC - good point, well taken - but unfortunately, i suspect the guy in the demo did not qualify his techniques - I mean, it's not like he was performing at a Ren Fair or something, where everyone kinda gets it's a little outdated - now, if he had been wearing armour, I'd see that it might be assumed, although how he might do those roll take downs would be questionable :D

but again, from a showmanship perspective, it was fun to watch

I don't know, I think most people get that a chunk of any traditional martial art will be a little outdated. Whether or not he gave a speach about exactly what he was demonstrating before he did it doesn't really matter, it's understood that he is demonstrating the traditional techniques availible to learn in his system. Most people know martial arts are hundreds of years old and in some cases thousands. Most people would know that alot of techniques aren't practical just by watching them. Unless he tried to convice poeple that he was demostrating practical self defense there is no problem and had he tried to convince them of that I'm sure more people would have been laughing than applauding.

Chinese and Japanese wore a wide range of armor from toughened leather to chainmill most of wich allowed for fairly unrestricted movement. I had the chance to wear some in the past and I don't see a problem doing most of what he showed while wearing it. The problem is trying to get back up quikly in a fight. That's why techniques like those were mostly reserved for taking prisoners at the end of a battle and why the cma frown on going to the ground most of the time.

monkeyfoot
01-08-2006, 08:04 AM
cheers for all the imput guys.

I was recently doing some knife vs empty hand and it is so very difficult. I agree with everyone above who says how knife defence is quite unrealistic.....when you practice everything is so telegraphed whereas a fight would be 'slash here there and everywhere.

I tend to keep far away from the **** thing. A good strong quick kick to the wrist should break it......thats provide he doesnt slash the back of your ankles or something nasty like that.....

craig